Is $12,500 too much? - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #1

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Scamp
California
Is $12,500 too much?

I'm looking at a 2014 Scamp 13' Standard no bathroom. Excellent condition. Not many options. In California. The NADA price is much lower. Do these little eggs really sell for this much above NADA or should I bite the bullet and pay up. Resale is important to me just in case I want to move up to a 16' later. Your opinion please.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is $12,500 too much?

Seems maybe a bit on the high side without a bathroom, but know that NADA is completely worthless when it comes to molded fiberglass trailers. The 13'ers seem to be in high demand lately. If it's in cherry condition and otherwise fully equipped- AC, furnace, 3-way fridge, awning- those are the expensive options, along with all the basics- screen door, battery, power roof vent, brakes- it's not way out of line. Prices in California, especially the Bay Area and SoCal, tend to be higher.

You can review the archives of recent sales here and on www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com to find comparable offerings.

As of yesterday there was a Scamp Deluxe for sale in San Diego. Looked nice, but I haven't seen it in person. If resale is a primary consideration, a bit older is often a safer bet, provided you do a thorough inspection.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Hmmmm...

Seems a bit high, but what is immediate availability worth to you? I believe the wait for a new trailer definitely drives up the price of a used. Plus, if you add in the cost of delivery or a trip to MN that you will avoid, that is also something to consider.

My understanding is that California requires brakes on all trailers, so make sure those are included, at a minimum.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Probably saw the very listing. Yes, it is a return, to the sellers, of virtually their entire investment. You could likely buy this very unit for a 100 bucks less in Backus. But therein lies the rub.

Even IF you were to buy one today in Backus for that, you just have to consider the transportation costs of going to Backus and returning with the trailer. Or, the cost of paying someone to transport it from Backus to you.

So, while the sellers are indeed looking for all their money back, as a buyer you have to weigh the advantages of having one already near you and the instant gratification value such an instant buy may or maynot afford you.

So there it is. The choice is entirely up to you. It is down two model years now and what your resale might be? Very hard to say, but it is reasonable to assume that you would have to deduct a bit to re-sell, say next year. As for NADA ?? Forget about it. It simply doesn't apply.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #5

Michigan
While this trailer may be a very long distance from you, San Diego, I would consider this to be a much, much better purchase value and might even "make you a buck" upon re-sale.
It's all just choices and decisions.

2002 Scamp trailer 13ft
Old 12-19-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
First, CA prices are always about the highest in the states. We sold our 10 y.o. 13' Scamp for $10,000 in SoCal about 4 years ago, and an even older Lil BigFoot for about the same money two years ago.

Next, NADA prices have no basis in reality when it comes to FGRV's. There are several theories as to why, but suffice to say that those values are always waaaay low.

The one linked to in bpfick's post almost seems to good to be true and, if true, as the ad is now two days old, it should already be sold.

BTW: Seller sez it has a 2 burner stove that works on LP, electric and battery.....
Old 12-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #7

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Walk away.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #8

Michigan
Yes, on another site, the San Diego listing brought forth the usual discussion of typos and syntax errors found in the listing. Assuming the seller meant to refer to refrigerator. 3 way stove is an obvious error in listing. Typos and errors are pretty common anywhere humans these days are publishing quickly on the interweb.

Is the listing for real? Call and find out. Perhaps this is all mute as perhaps you've no interest in going to SD to look anyhow. Just spit balling. When you post a question as to whether some is a good price, these are the responses you get. LOL
Old 12-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
NADA is an acronym; No Accurate Data Available.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is $12,500 too much?

LOL...

Therein lies the problem. Probably 95% of used molded fiberglass trailer sales are private party transactions. There is minimal dealer reporting.

In the absence of any real data, NADA makes the faulty assumption that molded fiberglass trailers depreciate according to industry-wide averages for all RV types.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
They tell me the basic Scamp new is around $11,000.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoWendy View Post
I'm looking at a 2014 Scamp 13' Standard no bathroom. Excellent condition. Not many options. In California. The NADA price is much lower. Do these little eggs really sell for this much above NADA or should I bite the bullet and pay up. Resale is important to me just in case I want to move up to a 16' later. Your opinion please.
: maybe the owner has added a few items and feels the asking price is good. It is only about 1 1/2 years old. UP here in Canada it would cost twice that much for a 2014 13' FG trailer.
Stude
Old 12-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
Continue to shop the entire travel trailer market.
Used Travel Trailers are a lot like trains...there will be another coming down the tracks soon....just wait!

Happy Camping.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Generic travel trailers are sorta like trains, there's always another one to look at, but FGRV's certainly aren't, and one has to grab one before it goes by.

In the current San Diego Craigslist there are about 500+ travel trailer's listed, of which exactly 2 are fgrv's, better not let to many of those trains pass by.... LOL
Old 12-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #14

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Wendy,

My DW and I were very interested in Scamp 13' Standards Layout 2 Big Beds for awhile before ruling them out as being too heavy for our Kia Rondo to tow. While researching these wonderful little rigs we found three that were between 2013 and 2015 in terms of model year. They were all basically loaded. One was $12,000. One was $12,500. And, one was $14,000 (overpriced, I believe). One in FL, one in Michigan, and one in Tennessee. All of these included bathrooms. Given no bathroom, but higher prices for California, I would guesstimate that $12,500 is about right to a tad high, but it is a seller's market.

Personally, I found slightly older Scamp 16' and Casita 17' rigs (2000 to 2008) to be a better value than Scamp 13's that were only a couple of years old. We wanted the big bed and a bathroom, so that floorplan is only a couple of years old. Despite the premium price, we would have gone this direction if our Rondo could have towed it, but lovin' our Casita 17' FD.

Wish you the best with the search.

Take care,

Dean