Is this Burro a good buy? - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #1

Name: Kristi
Trailer: Play Mor II 1986 13 ft
Florida
Registry
I was looking for a 13' Scamp or similar. I found a Burro and was hoping someone could tell me if I'm getting a reasonable price or not. It is a 1992 13' Burro. The upholstery is clean. The ice box has been replaced with a refrigerator. The gas line has been removed, however, the stove is still there. The particle board has been replaced with plywood. There had been an A/C unit installed in the front, however, it has been removed and the original fiberglass piece has been put back. Is $3200 reasonable? Please help as I am new to the egg world.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Hi Christi,

It's hard to say without seeing it, or pictures of it.

Is this the one that has been stored for 12 years?

I paid 2700 for my 1980, and it had a broken frame. The interior, however, had been completely redone in nice materials and had a bunch of clever mods. It also has all the bells and whistles (Heater, 3 way fridge etc)

That should give you some comparison, I hope.

Have you actually seen it? If not, take a copy of The buyers checklist with you. Check ALL the items that apply on the list.

Just taking the list made me look smarter than I am and it was helpful in buying negotiations.

#1 item to check on the Burro is the frame. Check where the frame bends into the "A" towards the tongue. Get dirty, crawl under there and look for any signs of splitting or cracking.

The gas line... if you are handy, you can do your own, but if not, or unsure, it is an easy job for any RV repair place. Do NOT mess with gaslines unless you are comfortable. *boom* is not good.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #3

Florida
Registry
Yes, it is the one that has been stored for 12 years. I do have pics of it. I was going to try and post them, but since I hadn't asked the seller's permission to post, thought I better not. I emailed them to my Dad who has a Scamp, but he hasn't responded yet. I can email them to you if you'd like. I'm just looking for any advice. And besides a good price, I'm not able to travel too far to pick one up since I have a newborn at home. Glad I found this website. It looks like there's plenty of helpful tips and even more nice people.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #4

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
You may mail them to me if you wish.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
We paid $2900 for our 1987 17' Burro. However, I felt we were extremely lucky. The former owner was nervous about driving it because she couldn't see behind her - and the storage fees were mounting up. Everything works on it, three burner stove, 3-way fridge, heater, a.c., no bathroom, but a porta-potty (actually have more room that way). We have a neat chest of drawers where a side bathroom should be, but it isn't as wide. We've had it checked over but it needed no actual repairs. I found that there were prices all over the map and that age didn't matter too much. The ones that are really cheap seem to come with a covering of green stuff inside and out but they come clean from the looks of this site!!

We've camped in below freezing weather with just the ceramic heater on and it stays nice and toasty. Double wall construction makes it heavier than the others for sure, but I think it is worth it. I also like the wide body so the bed can be a normal length.

Take a good look at it. Check for structure integrity, as Gina said, and go for it. I think you'll be glad you did. Two long trips will pay for ours in hotel savings!! Christi
Old 01-02-2007, 11:55 AM   #6

Florida
Registry
Thanks for the feedback! My husband and I have decided not to purchase this particular trailer. We learned alot just by reading emails from Gina, reviewing the pictures again, asking more questions and going over the checklist. We just started looking and may have been jumping at the first one we saw. So we are going to hold out and do a little more searching. Hopefully we'll find one that's perfect for our little family!

Tags
burro