Looking for 10 to 13 ft Fiberglass Trailer

Need help finding a Trailer for me and the dog to pull behind a
Subaru Forrester in Oregon.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Sue! This is a great place to gather information, and the folks are really friendly and helpful.

What's your Forester rated to tow (trailer weight & tongue weight)? It has varied over the years. I'd read the whole section of your owner's manual that pertains to towing, because there are usually caveats about specific equipment on the vehicle or trailer (like brakes).

I'm thinking you are probably looking for a basic 13'er with brakes. BTW - a 13' designation actually means a 10' cabin with a 3' tongue, like mine. A 16'er - with a 13' cabin - is likely going to be too heavy for your Forester. Check out the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat area to get a better idea of what's realistically possible.

Fiberglass eggs seem pretty common in the NW, but they sell quickly, so I'd keep a close eye on your local Craigslist - many nice ones sell locally before they show up on the big nation-wide web sites (like this one and fiberglass-rv-4sale.com).

Good luck in your quest!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #3

Name: Sue
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Oregon
Hi Jon thanks for all the good information. My Subura is rated for towing a trailer with brakes 2400 lbs and without brakes 1000lbs. I am very green about all this and
plan to attend the tours at the OR rally on the 19th to see trailers and ask questions.
Thanks again.

Sue
Old 07-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You're welcome, and I think a visit to the rally is an excellent starting place. You'll know more than I do before you leave! Have fun!

One more thing - check the tongue weight limit on your Roo - on some models it is limited to 200 lbs. Since camper-type trailers need at least 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue for stable towing, that would limit you to 2000 lbs total trailer weight, not 2400.

Boat trailers can have less weight on the tongue, but an egg is not a boat, even when they are both made of fiberglass!
Old 07-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #5

Name: Sue
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Oregon
I checked tongue weight max is 200lbs, so it helps for me to know that too.
I am starting my book for researching trailers
Thanks again.

Sue
Old 07-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #6

Name: Lloyd
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
I tow our 13' 1976 Trillium with our 2007 Forester. Electric trailer brakes are a must for the Forester and we also had a transmission cooler installed. The Trillium tows well but watch the tongue weight. That being said, we have never had a problem. I "boondock" during fishing season over some rough and muddy roads. We have done some summer touring in NL, NS, NB, and QC. Like I say, no problems.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp 13 ft.

Sue,

Give us a call, we have a 2011 13 ft Scamp that we tow with a Subaru outback. Check out the classified section. We have different curtains (stock tan) and other room darkening.

We could meet in SD somewhere if you are interested.

Bill
920-889-3465