Looking for 13/15' camper, under 2000lbs. Will drive to you from NY. - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #1

Name: carrie
Trailer: in the market
New York
Looking for 13/15' camper, under 2000lbs. Will drive to you from NY.

Hi,

I've been scanning these lists and fiberglass-rv-4sale, for months. But figure I will put it out there, in case you want to tell me about yours or one you saw!

I am looking for a 13 - 15' trailer to be pulled by a Subaru, that can only take 2000 lbs.

I like all the usual fiberglass suspects, though I would prefer no bathroom.

It would be great if it does not need tons of work, but as I also would like to keep costs down, if it doesn't leak and it is road worthy, that's great.

I'm in NY, but can drive up to .. 10 hours for the little babe.

Keeping my eyes peeled, drop me a line - happy face with hope.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
CA take a look if you haven't already seen it the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World to help you narrow down your list of potential trailers.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Also follow the FGRV for sale ads on <<<fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>>>

And double check your towing capacity with Subaru. While there are many that are somewhat higher, there are some Subaru's than have an even lower towing limit.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #4

New York
I will Triple check! it says in the manual 2000, and what I've seen online. But Then I would take the dry weight of the trailer and Add it to the hitch weight, right?

From what I have looked at thus far, I am looking into uhaul, burro, scamp and casita, boler, trillium and escape looks great too. Yes, add a rare egg to the list. And anything small that comes out for sale beyond that - not too interested in those hunter or amerigo (?) ones. I did come across a cadet, haven't heard many reviews about them. Are they less sturdy than the rounder style ones. The layout is nice. The Uhaul's look really durable. I guess they were made to rent!

Thanks for reading
Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Important to note that your Subaru Manual will most probable say as all mine have that anything you pull that weighs more than 1000lbs must also have brakes on it. Be warned many of the smaller older trailers do not have brakes. Brakes can be added though but you need to look at the axle to make sure it has mounting plates for brakes on it - many don't. If the axle does not have mounting plates for the brakes on it you will need to buy a new axle as well in order to get brakes installed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #6

California
By "The Manual" do you mean a service manual or the Owners Manual that came with the car. Only the 2nd item is sure to be correct. And "On-Line", unless it is the manufacturers web site, is only a starting point and even then you have to be sure of the exact model you have, which transmission, and if it has any towing package options. It's a real crap shoot.

Trailer weight is axle weight plus hitch weight. "Dry Weight" is only the manufacturer's WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) few if any weigh that little at delivery.

I would allow at least a 500 lbs. added onto that number by the time any extra options, water weight and owners "Stuff" is added.

In short, ya gotta actually weigh it.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Uhaul 13's do not have brakes and will need an axle replacement to install them.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
the manufacturer's WAG (Wild A$$ Guess)
Thanks for explaining that Bob. Now I understand how they came up with the name for WAG Bags.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #9

New York
thank you all for those details, I do remember about the brakes, but had forgotten. I will research the details further.
Is an axle replacement expensive?
I know at least some scamps I've seen have brakes.
Do you know if the others, trillium, burro.. casita do have them?
thanks!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #10

New York
Does anyone know, if I were to buy a trailer from somewhere I can't easily get too, and possibly the hitch is Not yet right then I can deal with fixing it on home turf.

Looking for a good, reliable and economical service to transport it? I read that possibly online auction sites have services. Would love any feedback on that as it may make buying something far away easier, if it is the right price.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Little Guy Teardrop
Ontario
What do you mean by hitch not yet right??
Old 03-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #12

New York
I have a hitch, but as was mentioned, I will most likely need brakes over 1000 lbs.
If I need to fix the brakes on a camper, or add them to the axle, or if I find one I like that is too far but cost efficient, maybe I could get it towed instead or figure another way of getting it, rather than driving, and instead deal with the brakes later. (I might have thrown the hitch word around . Ie: one small one just popped up for sale, $1300!! - but a three day drive. Best If I just buy it and figure a way to get it here rather than drive three days.. (that is if someone doesn't get it before me, but I suspect they have!)
Old 03-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #13

California
I can't imagine that a $1300 egg is going to be anything other that a huge hole that you will have to shovel money into. As you guessed, if it's still there after 1 day at that price, ferget it.

Basic rule.... Buy the very best you can afford up front. Unless you can do 90% of any and all repair work yourself, a fixer will become a money pit.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #14

New York
I think it might have been gone as soon as it hit the text. Though, I had my eyes peeled all day, I missed it!

Yes though, I hear what you are saying.. it is a dream Onward moving lady.