Looking for 13' - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #1

Name: roadtraveler
Trailer: ISO Trillium
Illinois
Wink Looking for 13'

I am looking for the trailer I have dreamed of owning for years! An early model (Trillium, Scamp, Casita, etc).I need to be able to tow it with a mini van so I am thinking a 13' Scamp, 14' Trillium - or something similar.

My budget is limited and it is a stretch but I need to be in the $3,000 to $4,000 range.

If it needs TLC on the inside that is fine - I'm not afraid to work on it! However, I do need a solid and towable unit with good bearings, and frame. I have to be able to tow it up to 7 hours on the interstate after I purchase it.

Does the frame need to be POR'ed - no problem!

Does the battery box need to be replaced - bring it on!

Strip down the inside, clean and restore it - I can make those things happen!

Do I need to stop at Farm and Fleet to replace Tires - I can handle that

If the windows need some work; maybe even leak a bit - I'll read and learn

Does the floor have weak spots - It's ponytail and bandanna time, but please let me know ahead of time so that I have the right expectations.

Currently located in the Cleveland area and willing to drive 5 hours to view the trailer. (I travel througout Michigan, except the UP, and mid/northern Indiana, every couple of weeks so anything in that area wold be fine as well.)

Thanks so much!

roadtraveler65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I wrote up a very long response to your posting. So long that I got logged out and lost it all.

It boils down to, your budget can only afford you a trailer that requires lots of work. The required work may be more expensive then spending more up front. Also there are some non repairable problems on some Trillium trailers, (I can't speak much for the other brands you mentioned) like a spongy floor. Though theoretically repairable, no fix has ever been demonstrated for this. I think taking the cab off the frame and cutting out the bottom of the shell is the best bet. Also, sagging on the front curb side, for which no fix has ever even been proposed.

You should also consider:
Axle replacement
Door sag
Missing rock guard
Rewire
Propane issues
Frame recall
Bolts that hold the cab to the frame
Appliance, (fridge, furnace, stove and converter) issues
And other unexpected problems.

Most of these, time and money can fix.

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:31 AM   #3

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
It is a good time of year to look. However the biggest problem you will face is that anything in good condition with that price tag on it needs to be in your immediate area so you can go view it right away.That is because they are in very high demand; there are a lot more people just like you out there looking for these gems at a low price. They can and often will sell within an hour of being posted online. If someone post one in this forum post a low priced gem there is always an immediate response to the ad from persons living nearby.

You had better know your stuff or have a friend on call in an instant who can do the inspection. If you delay it will get sold to the next person in line and there will be a waiting list.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
If you plan on doing a lot of work then maybe even shoot for a lower price. Expect to rebuild everything, gut everything and make it your own creation.

Sometimes it is easier to start from scratch than relying on the shoddy work of a prior owner. Some "upgrades" are impossible to undo.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree that most molded trailers in your budget are projects to some degree. Important thing is to inspect carefully so you know what you're getting into, and to know your limits so you don't get in over your head. Some things have to be fixed before you can use the trailer; other things can be fixed later as time and budget allow.

You can download and print this Buyer's Checklist from the Document Center in the More tab at the top right of the page.

If you can, find a knowledgeable person willing to go with you to look at possible purchases. It's always good to have an extra pair of eyes, someone not emotionally invested in the purchase.

Best wishes on your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote