Looking for 13' fiberglass camper - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Looking for 13' fiberglass camper

We are looking for a 13' Scamp or Boler or other fiberglass egg in a 13'. We would definitely be interested in an older model that has been refurbished. Some of the things we are looking for is new axel and/or floor. On the inside, we are interested in somewhat larger than normal bed/table and a large propane refridgerator. These are important and would consider other options but not as important. If you have something that meets these needs, we would pay up to 5k for the right one. Also would consider 13' shell that needs all the work for less than 2k. Would be willing to drive for right camper. We are in Wisconsin. Have cash on hand. seven one five-two seven seven-3950

Old 01-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #2

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1985 Bigfoot 19 w gaucho bed
Washington
May have a hard time finding this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck n Julie View Post
We are looking for a 13' Scamp or Boler or other fiberglass egg in a 13'. We would definitely be interested in an older model that has been refurbished. Some of the things we are looking for is new axle and/or floor. On the inside, we are interested in somewhat larger than normal bed/table and a large propane refrigerator. These are important and would consider other options but not as important. If you have something that meets these needs, we would pay up to 5k for the right one. Also would consider 13' shell that needs all the work for less than 2k. Would be willing to drive for right camper. We are in Wisconsin. Have cash on hand. seven one five-two seven seven-3950
To ask for a 13' with a larger than normal bed/table and a big refrigerator might at 5,000 not be possible. That is a very low price and there is limited room in a 13' for those things.
A 15' on the other hand could have those. In fact I have a 15' Escape 2010 for sale with a 54x77 bed and a 5.0 cf fridge. I had mine custom built with a toilet but no shower in the bathroom. Because of that I gained 6 inches of cabinet and overhead storage in the main cabin. Escapes are known for their awesome storage and solid structure. And they are very lightweight. Empty mine is 1500 and when I had it loaded for a week trip it was 2175.
However, since Escapes are built so well they also cost more. Mine was 18,000 Canadian. It is listed at 14,990 USD now and is listed on the fiberglass RV site under the for sale section. Please take a look.
Thank you,
Cathy Gale

Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
So why are you folks downsizing from a 16 to a 13?

deryk
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

The kids are growing up. We don't need all the extras, just a comfortable place to sleep.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Most 13' eggs have beds less than 4'. I believe the Scamp deluxe has a 54" bed. There may be others. Two links you might find useful. Good luck, Raz

Bed sizes

Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #6

customized vs. refurbished

I probably should have said customized rather then refurbished in my original post. I realize you cant change the closet as it is a support to keep the egg from a melt down. So I need a bed or I will make a bed that goes around the closet. It wont be a square or rectangular bed per say but should or could be longer toward the door. The other side will be used for a nice size fridg and I don't care about other stuff in the egg.. I am thinking about 4700 square inches of bed is what I need to squeeze in. The existing beds in 13"s are about 3500 square inches. I can make just about and change myself but would like to buy a 13" if someone has made a change like that and wants to sell. HELP !!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #7

customized vs. refurbished

still looking for a 13' er
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #8

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1985 Bigfoot 19 w gaucho bed
Washington
Escape 15' for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck n Julie View Post
still looking for a 13' er
Maybe you need to think about my 15' Escape? Has the big bed and table you are seeking and it is like new so no fixing up. It is ready to go now. No pets or smokers inside ever. Big fridge with freezer so you won't need coolers. It lives in Vancouver, WA. and is looking for great new owners.
Cathy Gale

Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I agree with earlier posts, large beds and large refrigerators just don't go with 13' eggs unless you are willing to do a lot of carving of existing cabinets. The "Bed down the aisle" mod is great for one person but the other better be only about 4' tall.

BTW: As the ice starts to melt the prices will rise, I would call $5k cheap for anything not in need of major work, at least out here in the still Golden State.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Wisconsin
Chuck,
I am thinking of parting with my 1976 Scamp 13'. It has a new axles last summer (from Scamp), repainted exterior but stock in layout. I am in northwestern Wisconsin. please email me at eastmonsoon@gmail.com if you are still interested. I am not calling because I am still a bit on the fence about selling but may consider it after a talk.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Wisconsin
Actually, I believe you can change the closet if you keep it supported.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #12

We just purchased a 2004 13' scamp---13' vs 16'

We just purchased a 2004 13' scamp---13' vs 16'
Let me first say we had a 2001 16' scamp that we sold first.
I like the new 13' much better. Here's why. The 16' was a loaded model with big fridge,bathroom,AC,side dinette,furnace,hot water and more. Put simply, there was everything and since there was everything it was all crowded together. Using anything was always a pain or some kind of sacrifice because of it being crowded. Also it had a small hallway dark in the front closed off by the bathroom door. The side dinette is no fun as under one side you have the wheel well under you feet and the cushions slide off the shiny fiberglass. When you convert the side dinette to a bed the cushions start to slide toward the hallway every time you turn while sleeping (quite annoying) till you wake up and have to fix them. The big fridge takes up so much room it makes the 16' feel smaller then a 13'. not to mention the annoying thing on the roof from the fridge vent and the large metal panels on the outside of the camper for the fridge (I don't even know what those are for). The AC on the roof is a real eyesore and in time will make your camper squat down from the pressure(I removed the AC a few years ago and replaced it with a clear dome). With all the water lines it took 2 hours to winterize and I did not go camping again even if the weather got better for fear of dewinterizing and rewinterizing again. These are just some of the loaded 16' Scamp problems. Disclaimer::: None of this may personally bother you.
Now let me tell you how cool my 13' model Scamp I just got is. First off,same size bed. Second a much wider hall way. Now you will say it's not as long a hallway as the 16 and you would be right, but still the wider shorter hall is way more easy to move around in and also way easier to get in and out of the main dinette table seating (what a relief). Also my 13'has big windows of the front and back and sides and sink area. These windows make the camper very bright and cheery with a positive feeling when you are in it. The 16 is just the opposite (dark & negative). Now the sink/stove top cabinet is way wider then the one in the 16' and they turn both the sink and the burners the wide way with good space between them (I wanna cook in there now). Under the same cabinet we have a furnace and a small fridge that does not have the annoying roof stuff or large outside vented panels. Only two small outside low panels (no roof stuff). There is no awning that takes away from that classic EGG LOOK. Our 13' also has a bunks that will mostly be used as a couch and the cushions don't move or slide as they are held in by the sink/stove cabinet on one side and the screen door thingy on the other. Oh yeah, the bottom bunk is better for sleeping the that side dinette was on the 16". There is also more storage in the 13' than the crowded 16' -believe it or not. I prefer the lower wheel wells, now I don't need a step like I had to use with my 16". The first thing my kids said when they got in the 13' was how could this be bigger inside than the 16'!!!! There are many more good things with the 13' like now I can pull it with my 4 cylinder car and I can even pick up the tongue by hand. The list of things that I like better on the 13" vs the 16' go on and on. Let me just say this, when I look at my 13' from the outside with nice clean sides and top I see the classic egg that we all fell in love with. I don't see that at all with the 16' with all it's protruding junk. That is all. I hope I did not offend anyone. It's just my opinion. Thanks