Looking for 13' Project Camper (NC) - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: 1991 16' Casita
North Carolina
Looking for 13' Project Camper (NC)

I had a fairly romantic picture in my head of glamping in a classic, Pinterest-worthy micro camper until I started doing my research at which point I concluded fairly quickly that a rodent infested, barn fresh project on wheels was a more realistic expectation based on my budget which is currently around $1,000.

I'm not dead set on any particular make/model, I do, however, need it to be on the small size (plus or minus 13') so I'm able to store it in my garage without too much modification.

If anyone has a project in any condition tucked away that they're interested in letting go in North Carolina (or anywhere roughly within 200 miles of Apex, NC) I'd love to hear from you. I'll continue to keep a sharp eye out on this forum, fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, Craigslist and eBay, if there are other online sites that are recommended I'd appreciate learning about them as well.

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

Old 04-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Jonathan!

That's a tall order… I hope you realize that, unless lightening strikes, you'll likely need a budget of many hundreds (or even several thousands) more to make such a trailer roadworthy and minimally campable. And you may well lose the first season making repairs.

By all means keep looking, but as you do, keep saving! At some point your budget and the right trailer will intersect.

Best wishes!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:21 PM   #3

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
By all means keep looking, but as you do, keep saving! At some point your budget and the right trailer will intersect.
Thanks for the welcome and input Jon! Yes, while I have a separate budget for the actual repairs/renovation on whatever I end up with, I agree that my options will very likely grow as I squirrel more money away. As you say, just a matter of time until I'm able to make a match.

Take care,

Jonathan
Old 04-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Missed the part about the garage before. The only trailers that will fit into a standard garage door opening (7') without modification are the rear-entry, pop-top types (Hunter Compacts and Trailswest Campsters). And that assumes they haven't been raised.

Some full height 13'ers will fit with shoehorning or modifications (removing wheels and vents), but some simply will not. It would not do any good to make a list, because options, modifications, and the type and condition of the axle all make a difference. You'll have to evaluate each candidate on a case-by-case basis.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Just remember that for every $500 extra you spend buying a better trailer you will get a $1000 worth of value in that better trailer.

You might want to reconsider the initial purchase budget and add extra money to the purchase budget from your restoration budget. Most $1000 trailers cannot be safely pulled home to begin the restoration!
Old 04-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

North Carolina
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, this is all fairly new to me so it's extremely helpful!

Jonathan
Old 05-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #7

North Carolina
I couldn't find any way to edit my original post, so tagging on to note an updated budget which is now up to $2,000 for the initial purchase.

Jonathan
Old 05-08-2016, 09:11 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
There was an Amerigo FG-16 in Sanford a few weeks ago on cl, I think it was in the $500 range. I planned to go look at it just for the sake of comparison to mine but they said it was sold. It was needing a total gut & rebuild, not a minor task for anyone.

Unless you're really handy and resourceful, that $1000 camper usually ends up costing 5 - 10 times more in restoration/renovation costs.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #9

North Carolina
Thanks for the post Steve. While I certainly wouldn't mind having a fully restored interior, it's not one of my requirements at the moment. That is to say, I've been pretty happy camping with my pseudo pop-up camper to date (a 4-person Coleman instant tent that sits on top of a modified utility trailer), so finding a shell that's in decent shape is really all I'm after or expecting to get with this initial camper. I say initial as I'm a project junkie, so growing into larger projects over time is something I envision myself doing.

The patient search will continue!

Jonathan
Old 05-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #10

North Carolina
As often happens with many things with me, my interest became an obsession and I found myself mechanically combing through listings on about 10 different sites several times a day with the hopes that I'd be the lucky one to jump on a good deal first. The agonizing part was seeing something pop up that was just what I was looking for in terms of camper and price only to then determine it was hundreds of miles away... ugh!

Just as I had rationalized making an extended trip from North Carolina to Canada, one of those funny little ads on Craigslist popped up with the title "10' camper pull behind" with no pictures and a two sentence description that was barely comprehensible. Long story short, for under my budget I just brought this little guy home last night:

The seller had no idea what make/model it was, nor did I outside of the one very vague picture he texted me - in the end what was being couched as a 10' camper was what I'm pretty sure is a 16' Casita. That of course leads to ownership challenge #1 which is getting the camper to fit into the garage, but a project is a large part of what I was after so I couldn't be happier.

Jonathan