Dream trailer wish list.
Under 2,000LB fully loaded(true weight)
Toilet and shower.
Two burners
Refrigerator
A bed that can fit two people.
Solar.
Toothbrush ready.

I'm open to doing renovations and a lot of compromise on the above wish list. The bed size and weight limit would be the hardest to comprise on.

For the right trailer I can drive anywhere in the U.S.
I'm not in a rush but I'd love to have something to start working on by July.

I have a tight budget.

Anyway, thanks for reading and have a wonderful 2019!

ribbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:54 PM   #2

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
don't know about the others, but the 13ft casita patriot deluxe (bathroom) has a dry weight of 1880 lbs, BEFORE you load it. i am a minimalist and mine weighs 2700 lbs when loaded. i don't think that the casita will fit your weight requirement.

clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:17 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Just wondering if you've seen this Campster in Idaho? No bathroom... in fact not much of anything inside, but a handy person could add whatever.
https://pullman.craigslist.org/rvs/d...780559712.html

filthy rich. All I need now is money.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp on order
Ohio
Axel rating

Just for reference. A new 13’ Scamp’s axel is rated at 2200 lbs. I’d be surprised if older ones can carry more.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #5

Name: Mary
Trailer: In the market
Oklahoma
clairemr1 and TonyD thank you for letting me know more about weight with these trailers.

I'm going to do some more research into trailers and tow vehicles it seems I have a lot more to learn before scratching the surface.

Mike Magge thanks for the link. I looked at it and have considered options like that one.

My other half and I will definitely have to discuss more about bathroom importance. We are considering a porta poty for emergencies.

Just in case anyone else sees this and has a trailer or something to add. I'll be afk for a few days so I won't see your messages until then.

Happy New Year all!
Old 12-31-2018, 06:57 PM   #6

Name: Justus
Trailer: Shopping For Our 1st
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbet View Post
clairemr1 and TonyD thank you for letting me know more about weight with these trailers.

I'm going to do some more research into trailers and tow vehicles it seems I have a lot more to learn before scratching the surface.

Mike Magge thanks for the link. I looked at it and have considered options like that one.

My other half and I will definitely have to discuss more about bathroom importance. We are considering a porta poty for emergencies.

Just in case anyone else sees this and has a trailer or something to add. I'll be afk for a few days so I won't see your messages until then.

Happy New Year all!
Have you considered a composting toilet? I can't convince my dearly beloved but I'd prefer one over dealing with the flush toilet we'll end up with. That may shave off a little weight and keep a 13' Scamp in the running.

When we were shopping for a new car, tow rating was a big factor because we knew we'd be hooking up a camper. After doing some trailer window shopping, we struck anything rated at less than 3500 from our list. We ended up with a Highlander with tow package rated for 5000 lbs, and not only do I love the vehicle, but the relative flexibility in selecting a trailer. It may not be the most cost effective route, but a TV trade up will open up a world of options.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
looking for 13' Scamp, 13' Casita, Ponderosa or similar

A Scamp 13 with front bath will come in under 2000# unless you go crazy with options and gear. Some have only the toilet, no shower or water heater (though if I was going to devote that much space to a bath, I'd just as soon have the whole package).

OTOH, if you think you can manage with only a porta-potty, the front sofa layout feels a lot more spacious. You can leave the bed set up and still have someplace to sit. It would also help with the "tight budget." Bath models in clean, working condition start around $8-9K and go up from there. Clean no-bath units start around $5-6K, and project trailers can occasionally be had for less.

Either way there are lots of little things you can do to manage weight: single LP tank, lightweight kitchenware, dried foods instead of canned, buy fresh foods locally, tow with empty tanks... in general think like a backpacker.

I knew the Casita Patriot Deluxe was heavier, but 2200# empty and 2700# loaded... wow! That's about what a 16' Scamp weighs.

There are a number of other vintage 13' options with layouts similar to Scamp to watch for. Most do not have a bath.

If the 2000# is the tow rating of your vehicle, consider that tow ratings are often based on only a driver and no cargo in the vehicle. More people and/or cargo means less towing capacity.

Many small and mid-sized vehicles require trailer brakes over 1000# trailer weight. Not all 13'ers have brakes. In some cases a whole new axle is required to add brakes.

Best wishes in your search for a molded trailer!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:43 PM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbet View Post
Looking for a 13' Scamp, Casita, Ponderosa Little Joe, Lite House or Simialr

Dream trailer wish list.
Under 2,000LB fully loaded(true weight)
Toilet and shower.
Two burners
Refrigerator
A bed that can fit two people.
Solar.
Toothbrush ready.

I'm open to doing renovations and a lot of compromise on the above wish list. The bed size and weight limit would be the hardest to comprise on.

For the right trailer I can drive anywhere in the U.S.
I'm not in a rush but I'd love to have something to start working on by July.

I have a tight budget.

Anyway, thanks for reading and have a wonderful 2019!

Ok before you decide on which brand you want I suggest you read this thread on this site. Trailer weights in the real world.

The weights were taken at the entrance of a campground.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #9

Name: Mary
Trailer: In the market
Oklahoma
Hi again

@Justus yes we are considering composting. Lighter, cheaper and no black water sounds like a triple win. The only downside is no shower but getting clean isn't too difficult.

@Jon we have spoke about upgrading our tow vehicle but are trying to avoid if at all possible because we love our current TV. Our rating is 2900 but we don't want to stress the vehicle by maxing out.

@Byron checking the thread now and sending a link to my partner.

Thank you all for being so helpful! I'm happy I found this community.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #10

Name: Ron
Trailer: Scamp 13
Florida
Have 2005 13 scamp excellent shape 8500. Call for details 407 538 5156. We can deliver with non refundable reasonable deposit. Thanks ron

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp