Looking for 13' trailer in good condition and fair price. South Central States - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #1

Name: Thomas
Trailer: In the market
Louisiana
Looking for 13' trailer in good condition and fair price. South Central States

Hello - I'm new to the forum and thought I'd try posting my interest in finding a 13' molded trailer in the 1,000 pound or less range, located in the South Central States. I live in Baton Rouge. Most postings I find here or on EBay are out of reach distance wise.

Please call Tom at 225-270-7084 if something comes up.

Thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #2

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnscoots View Post
... my interest in finding a 13' molded trailer in the 1,000 pound or less range
Hi Tom,

I hope you find a "good egg"

One note though, is that I don't know of any "real life" eggs that weigh 1,000# or less. You might find one, but if that is really important to you, I would say to make sure that you weight any individual trailer that you are interested in (or check the PO's scale slip - many sellers think their trailers are "900 pounds" but they actually aren't once they are weighed).

Many of the 13' trailer manufacturers claimed "995#" on the data tags in the trailer, but that has not been borne out in real life. 1200# to 1500# is more typical, and they can weigh more than that.

I don't mean to be a downer, but if you really do need to have a trailer that weighs 1,000# or less, a 13' egg might not fill the bill. On the other hand, if you can handle 1200# to 1500# then a number of the 13-footers will work, if you watch your gear.

Good shopping to you

Raya

Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #3

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Hi Tom,

I hope you find a "good egg"

One note though, is that I don't know of any "real life" eggs that weigh 1,000# or less. You might find one, but if that is really important to you, I would say to make sure that you weight any individual trailer that you are interested in (or check the PO's scale slip - many sellers think their trailers are "900 pounds" but they actually aren't once they are weighed).

Many of the 13' trailer manufacturers claimed "995#" on the data tags in the trailer, but that has not been borne out in real life. 1200# to 1500# is more typical, and they can weigh more than that.

I don't mean to be a downer, but if you really do need to have a trailer that weighs 1,000# or less, a 13' egg might not fill the bill. On the other hand, if you can handle 1200# to 1500# then a number of the 13-footers will work, if you watch your gear.

Good shopping to you

Raya

Thanks for the tip Raya. At the moment I'm limited to towing 1500 lbs, due to a 2.5-4 cyl small SUV, and my wife wanted us to step away from getting a 6cyl truck awhile back. I'm thinking of making my own camper by modifying the "Squidget" plans and really controlling the weight. On the other hand it would be nice to get a unit I can pull.

If anyone has other suggestions do let me know.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnscoots View Post
Thanks for the tip Raya. At the moment I'm limited to towing 1500 lbs,
\

Hi Tom,

Well if you can tow 1500#, I would not give up yet. I know a few people here have towed 13-ers with vehicles that had that capacity. I think what made them successful was that they were careful to buy/keep light (not heavily optioned) trailers, and then they were conscious of added weight and packing light.

What I would do is first, make sure that you are "clear" to tow 1500# with your SUV. By that I mean that some tow vehicles (typically the more marginal ones, weightwise), specify that you have to subtract vehicle passengers and/or cargo from the tow weight.

Also, make sure that you aren't allowed more weight if you have trailer brakes - sometimes you are.

Then, I would look for a "sparse" 13-er, and see if the seller would let me weigh it before buying. Things that add weight: Propane tanks, batteries, 3-way refrigerators, furnaces, bathrooms, full water tanks, wood interiors, Air conditioners (roof mounted especially), etc.

Solutions to the above would be things like using one 6# or 10# propane tank instead of one or two 20# tanks that might be on a rig to begin with, having no battery, carrying an ice chest in the car (presuming you dno't have to subtract that weight from your tow capacity), carrying an electric or portable propane furnace only when in season, using a Porta Potti, keeping water tank empty until you are near your destination, sticking with the fiberglass interior (and maybe replacing the heavy particle board table and/or cabinet doors with something lighter, taking out the top bunk if you don't need it, etc.), and using a "window" type air conditioner that you carry in the tow vehicle, only when in season.

With some or all of the above, I could see you possibly being able to go with a 1200# or so 13-er, and then packing light. I would want to weigh things on a scale so that I *knew* what I was towing, and I would probably want trailer brakes even if not required.

I was thinking "no, not possible" when you said at or under 1000#, but to my mind, 1500# means you can do it if you are a bit disciplined, and make sure to find a light egg to start with.

Maybe the egg hunt can continue

Raya
Old 09-30-2010, 07:30 AM   #5

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
\

Hi Tom,

Well if you can tow 1500#, I would not give up yet. I know a few people here have towed 13-ers with vehicles that had that capacity. I think what made them successful was that they were careful to buy/keep light (not heavily optioned) trailers, and then they were conscious of added weight and packing light.

What I would do is first, make sure that you are "clear" to tow 1500# with your SUV. By that I mean that some tow vehicles (typically the more marginal ones, weightwise), specify that you have to subtract vehicle passengers and/or cargo from the tow weight.

Also, make sure that you aren't allowed more weight if you have trailer brakes - sometimes you are.

Then, I would look for a "sparse" 13-er, and see if the seller would let me weigh it before buying. Things that add weight: Propane tanks, batteries, 3-way refrigerators, furnaces, bathrooms, full water tanks, wood interiors, Air conditioners (roof mounted especially), etc.

Solutions to the above would be things like using one 6# or 10# propane tank instead of one or two 20# tanks that might be on a rig to begin with, having no battery, carrying an ice chest in the car (presuming you dno't have to subtract that weight from your tow capacity), carrying an electric or portable propane furnace only when in season, using a Porta Potti, keeping water tank empty until you are near your destination, sticking with the fiberglass interior (and maybe replacing the heavy particle board table and/or cabinet doors with something lighter, taking out the top bunk if you don't need it, etc.), and using a "window" type air conditioner that you carry in the tow vehicle, only when in season.

With some or all of the above, I could see you possibly being able to go with a 1200# or so 13-er, and then packing light. I would want to weigh things on a scale so that I *knew* what I was towing, and I would probably want trailer brakes even if not required.

I was thinking "no, not possible" when you said at or under 1000#, but to my mind, 1500# means you can do it if you are a bit disciplined, and make sure to find a light egg to start with.

Maybe the egg hunt can continue

Raya

Dear Raya - thanks so much for attending to my 13'er quest and giving my tow situation so much thought. I will follow the advise you offer to the letter; promise.

One question I have is about going to the typical trucker weigh station; will they gladly weigh a trailer, is there any cost, or is it the case that some stations will and others won't?

Have a good weekend and I hope you'll be out there somewhere.

Namaste,
Tom
Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #6

Tom,

Well, thanks for being so nice about it; I was feeling a bit guilty for hijacking your "Wanted" thread, but there is just so much misinformation about trailer weights out there (understandable when many are labelled as 995#), and I'm the sort that likes good, hard data from which to make decisions.

I think that in most states (?) it's probably not cool to just pop into a highway truck scale (I say "most" because I think that Washington, for example, does allow this and you can go in anytime even if they are not "open" -- or maybe it's Oregon, anyway....). I've seen recommendations for feed and grain type places, or CAT scales (which you can look up by area), or maybe even a quarry - just depending on what you have in your area.

Now, to make up for my interruption, I hope some folks with nice, "light" basic 13-ers for sale will see this and contact you

Raya