Looking for a 13" that'll sleep 4 under $5k. DC/Mid-Atlantic - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: '75 Trillium 1300
Washington, D.C.
Smile Looking for a 13" that'll sleep 4 under $5k. DC/Mid-Atlantic

I'm looking for a 13'-16' Trillium, Boler, Scamp, Casita... Anything really. It must have the two bunks in the back (or somehow be able to sleep 2 adults and 2 kids) for my toddler and the baby on the way.
We live in Washington, DC but I don't mind traveling up to about 600+ miles on an upcoming weekend to find the perfect egg. Anything cosmetic can be fixed and I don't mind putting in a little sweat equity and elbow grease. I would like to avoid units with door sag, frame damage, and mold and mildew due to allergies. Bonus points if it's been stored covered or indoors as it will have its home in our garage.
We would like to stay under $4k, but realistically, we don't mind raising out budget a bit if the trailer is in good condition. Looking forward to being a first time egg owner and packing up the tent for good!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Kelly, $4K may require you to do a lot of shopping. A turnkey trailer that requires nothing can go for $6K, or more. In the $4K area are fixers mostly. Having said that, My first Trillium 4500 was $2K, and not perfect, but ready to camp. But you see, I shop continuously.

I am not sure that mold would be a problem. Other then the cushions, there are not many places for mold to hide in most small fibreglass trailers. There are likely those that may disagree, and since I don't have an allergy to mold, what do I know?

Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Kelly, $4K may require you to do a lot of shopping. A turnkey trailer that requires nothing can go for $6K, or more. In the $4K area are fixers mostly. Having said that, My first Trillium 4500 was $2K, and not perfect, but ready to camp. But you see, I shop continuously.

I am not sure that mold would be a problem. Other then the cushions, there are not many places for mold to hide in most small fibreglass trailers. There are likely those that may disagree, and since I don't have an allergy to mold, what do I know?
If it does have mold or is grungy it will tend to bring the price down. They do tend to be fairly easy to clean, at least the ones that have little wood except the floor and cabinet doors, and elephant hide. Can't say about rat fur covering. Suppose if it got wet behind that and got moldy maybe it would be tough to deal with.

Clean, sound and ready to go 4k would be a good deal. Of course the FG hoarders can do better due to experience and the search being never ending quest
*cough* Dave *cough* Others *cough* Not me*cough*

Might want to keep an eye on Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale as well as the for sale part of this forum. Be carful on Craig's list, had a member post a warning just recently. They transferred a $500 deposit and were still trying to get the trailer or their money back as of last week. Members always on the lookout for FGRV's for sale have found listings with pictures of same trailer in different parts of the country. Sure sign of a probable scam.

Be ready to move on anything you find, this time of year they sell fast. Might not be able to wait for the weekend.
Good hunting.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: '75 Trillium 1300
Washington, D.C.
I've been stalking both sites for over a week now. Both are a wealth of information! We are trying to travel 5 hrs to NY this weekend to check out a couple of 70's models (one for $4k, the other $5), but the biggest issue I'm having is having folks return emails/voice mails. :/
I'm planning to replace all cushions, curtains, and anything not "hard" in the camper, and if lights, flooring, tables, etc need to be repaired/replaced, we're prepared for that too. Looking forward to making it "ours". We'd just like the structural stuff that can't easily fixed to be intact.
I'm secretly hoping someone within an hr or so from DC who has been dragging their feet to list theirs will suddenly be motivated. Lol
Old 04-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #5

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
Not far from you. . . for sale

I just jumped on the site tonight to discover your interest! I have a 13' Scamp, 1990, totally refurbed for sale. $6500. It was quite a project and has become part of our family, yet it is time to find someone else who will love it like I have. If you are interested in looking in the York, PA area, private message me. I'll be home this weekend.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #6

Name: Marc
Trailer: Toyota sunland express
New York
Hi Kelly I have a 1976 13 foot Boler if your interested. Sent a PM with my phone number. I'm in up upstate NY (near Saratoga)
Old 05-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Is always a better idea to PM (private message) a phone number to the person that needs it rather than post it. These pages are readable by the public. Same for sharing email addresses.

Click on the users name next to the post, select Send a private message.
Marc if you want me to edit out that phone number send me a PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #8

Name: Terry
Trailer: Trillium
Pennsylvania
1975 Trillium 1300

Currently refurbishing. Should be done in the next month. Let me know if interested will send pictures and a price.

Located in Northern Pennsylvania.

Thanks

Terry
Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Maybe the OP could update this thread to let us know if they are still looking or not. By the looks of the profile, it looks to be a done deal.