Looking for a 13ft - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-13-2006, 06:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Burro
Hi I have been looking for a 13 ft with shower for a few months now. Do they come on the market used? I realy want something self contained which is light enough to pull with my element. I am in Va but willing to travel for a good trailer.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:51 PM   #2

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Hi I have been looking for a 13 ft with shower for a few months now. Do they come on the market used? I realy want something self contained which is light enough to pull with my element. I am in Va but willing to travel for a good trailer.
You might want to reconsider a bit. Go to a local gathering and look at 13s. A 13' with a shower has 2 things going for it.
1st. The shower is small and therefore crowded.
2nd. The shower takes up a lot of space and makes the rest of the trailer crowded.

In my opinion self contained comes with a lot of problems. Lots of water usage, lots of gray water to deal with. Black water to deal with. Toilet and shower leaks to deal with. Think about if you really want that.

One more thing, anything with a built-in toilet and shower will overload your element.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #3

Thanks for your insight. I was thinking about a self contained because there are times that I would be camping in places without facilitys only port-a-potties. I am looking for comfort. How do other people deal with camping with limited facities?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
As Byron said, with self-contained, there comes more problems:-
The added weight of a water heater, the extra propane, to fire it up, extra water, gray tanks, black tanks, dumping sewage. Oh, how I hate that !!! Most 13' have a place to store a porta potti. I would much rather contend with a self-contained porta potti, or even one of the plastic-bag-kitty-litter toilets, than mess with a nasty sewer hose, and having to find somewhere to store the nasty thing !!

The shower is going to weigh a lot more, deprive you of storage.

There are several options for bathing:

Some folks just make do with a 'bucket bath', 'PTA bath' for the ladies, until they can use the showers at a CG, Flying J, or wherever.

Some use the Coleman Battery-Powered Shower from WalMart, heat water on stove, and it pumps it up, and has a Spray shower head. ($25)

Some use the Zodi type portable water heaters, which run on a $2.50 canister of propane, and 4 'D' batteries (usually about $60 on Ebay.)

Some use the Coleman type solar showers, the sun heats water in big black bag that has a shower nozzle on it. Some Privacy Cabanas, like Duckworks Boatbuilders Stansport, have the supports in the top to hold the solar bags of hot water. Some cabanas don't.

Most folks like to have a screen room/tent, (under $40 WalMart), by their door, and can curtain off a portion of it for private needs.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #5

Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
Hello!
You sound a lot like me, I like my own private facilities and the comfort of not going out at night if I don't wish.
If you do a search for showers, you will find loads of information including designs of some pretty cool temporary showers.

I love my Lovebug, it's just great and has a stove, sink, refrigerator, sleeps 4, nice storage AND it's easy to pull. I have a terrible back and can set this up by myself easily. I don't think you'll regret your decision. Take a look at all the ones for sell by owners from this forum and the referrals to others. There's tons of good help here if you buy a camper that isn't perfect. Go puruse the Mod forum, it's full of ideas from lots of talented people.

HAve fun, let us know!
Old 07-17-2006, 11:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I don't understand the negatives here.

these trailers are designed to be used as built so what is all this about weight of water, etc.

i had a lovely little casita 13 with bathroom and loved it. it was not heavy, it towed so easily that i wanted to put a sign on the front saying " I"m still here"".it did not cause problems of any type. i immediately bought a "Sewer Solution " and never had any problem with the black water tank cleanout. the actual sewer pipe was stored on the front of the trailer in a white plastic pipe with both ends screw off type covers. it was always clean and if it had not been, a trip through a do it yourself carwash with a power wash would have cleaned it.

it is NECESSARY for me to have a toilet close and available at all times so a porta pottie has never been an option.

keep looking and try to imagine life without a real toilet.

you can take a shower anywhere, ask Gina D.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #7

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for your insight. I was thinking about a self contained because there are times that I would be camping in places without facilitys only port-a-potties. I am looking for comfort. How do other people deal with camping with limited facities?

I deal with it the same way I deal with it when backpacking.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #8

I will be camping most off the time with just me and a dog. going to dog water trial and fun weekends. These tend to be held in a farm field. I might also go to an egg rally. I need AC ( for the dog) I am looking for something I can handle by myself and tow with the Element. I was orginally looking for a shower not only for the convinace reason but also not everyone is thrilled when the dog accompanies me to the wash room.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
It seems to me, that for the dog, the solar shower would be a great thing to have anyway! He won't need a privacy cabana to take a shower !!
If you bathed him in an inside shower, he would probably shake before you could get him outside.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:47 AM   #10

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Porta Potties are useful for this and are a minimal investment, relatively.

When used CORRECTLY, they are easy to deal with, as comfy as porcelan and MUCH less work than a bath. The most annoying part to me is closing the curtains when I need to use it, but it beats a walk to a stinky Honey Bucket or pit toilet.

I rarely use public bathrooms.. I have an oversion to them for some reason. I am happy with my potti set up and Coleman shower.

I tent camped last weekend and was annoyed at using the public shower, even tho it was clean and good in all ways. (Oregon State parks are the leaders in cool bathrooms!)

And yes, a bath would put you over your weight limit, especialy the tongue weight.