Looking for a Casita 13 within 300 miles of Charlotte - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #1

Name: Tippareth
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Looking for a Casita 13 within 300 miles of Charlotte

I am searching for an older Casita Patriot 13' without the bathroom (because I want to take 3 of us along on trips). Must be structurally sound, no significant damage and definitely no leaks. Hopefully well cared for. Cosmetic stuff I can work on or update. I have my purchasing funds available, my truck is ready to tow it, I can take a day off of work if needed. It took me a while to get to this point where I am absolutely ready. Now just searching for the right little camper. I found a 1990 for 6k recently, but it would have taken 40 hours of drive time to get it, or 1800 to transport it. Yes, I am watching this forum and fiberglass-rv-4sale. Any others that I should watch? Hopefully there is someone out there ready to move on to a bigger camper. My phone number is 541 306 0717. Email thpiper4@gmail.com
Please do not reach out to sell anything other than what I have described. Thanks to all of you that take the time to help!

Old 12-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #2

North Carolina
Actually I would probably drive 400 - 500 miles for the right camper

Old 12-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Very few Casita 13s out there. Going to be a tough find. Hopefully you will get lucky. I drove ten hours each way for my last trailer. The used molded FG market is tough, we sold our Casita in four hours (a 17 footer).

Lots of people with the cash to make a deal now. Competing against them is tough as it can be a whoever's first wins. We were second on several rigs.

There are a lot more Scamp 13s out there.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Is there a reason you want Casita but not Scamp? Looking at them on the street, other than graphics, they are hard to tell apart by the untrained eye. If you open up your search to Scamp trailers also your target market will grow significantly.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
tpiper use my theory along with here do a 4 state search via craigslist for what you want I would include a scamp also. not much difference the casita heavier and more fancier.

you need to do a daily search or 2x if you are really in the market. have your cash ready, your tug ready and be prepared to move within 3 days. find the right one be prepared to lay down a deposit these go fast and some one will come in behind you count on it otherwise.

good luck in your search!

bob
Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #6

North Carolina
Bob, Mike and Bill,
All great feedback and ideas! I will keep all of that in mind as I look. Im really open to considering all kinds of small trailers but the casitas are my first choice after fully reading up and researching for the last 6 mos or so. I am keeping my eyes and ears open. Please keep the good info coming my way, its much appreciated and helping me along the way. - T
Old 12-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #7

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
t piper, casita stopped making the "patriot standard" , which does not have a bathroom several years ago and went strictly to the "patriot deluxe", which means bathroom in "casita-speak". don't remember what year they made this change, but you would be looking at an older trailer if you want the "patriot standard".
casita stopped making the "patriot deluxe" in december of last year. all 13ft casitas are extremely rare and now that they no longer make either of them, with or without bathroom, prices have gone up, up, up on used ones according to friends of mine looking for one. best of luck with your search, but i think you are going to have to expand your search radius radically and be prepared to drive quickly to make the sale, if one becomes available, it won't last long. good luck in your search
Old 12-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #8

North Carolina
Casitas have some advantages, Scamps have advantages as well. The Scamp 13 is much taller on the inside, Casita has a low ceiling, I would hit my head in one. Casita floor is kind of in a fiberglass bathtub, which has pluses and minuses. AC hookup on the Casita takes up cabinet space. Both trailers are built with a lot of rivets, so no edge there. The standard (no options) Scamp is cheaper, comes with almost nothing. This has a benefit of light weight for people that are TV challenged. Most used Scamps will have some options.

Used 13 foot Casitas are nearly unobtainium. Unless you really get lucky, you are not going to find one. And when you do, you won't be the only one chasing after it. Scamps aren't common, but there are a lot more of them out there (and you can still order one new).

One thing about either of them, they hold their value well. So if you buy one and don't like it, you will be able to recover most of what you spent to buy it. Try doing that with a traditional RV.

If you get the opportunity, go to a molded FG rally. You likely will not see a 13 foot Casita, but you will see plenty of Scamps and other 13 foot trailers.

As far as where to look, be sure to use one of the myriad of C/L search engines, also set up some alerts. Finding a nice FG trailer can be very frustrating! Sellers on this forum rarely update their ads, leave them up for months. Look at their posting count, many of those peoples only posts are the ones putting the trailer up. Rarely/never are those trailers still available. Yet the postings get revived every few weeks by interested buyers.

If I were "king for the day" I would require sellers to check back in once a week, or their ad would be deleted.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #9

Missouri
tpiper

here is something I have found. want something specific it wont ever show up buy the other and the next week all sorts of things will show up.

buy a 13f scamp I assure you you will be happy if what you want after that shows up buy it and sell the scamper you wont have that much in it!

bob
Old 12-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #10

North Carolina
To me, life is short. I am not going to lose a camping season searching for a unicorn. Instead, I would pounce on a nice used Scamp. If you ever find the Casita, at that point you should be able to sell the Scamp for close to what you paid for it.

Now if camping is not that big of a deal to you, maybe wait. The choice is yours.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Indeed. Why limit your prospects to only Casita & Scamp. There are several other trailers out there that are derivatives of the old Boler molds. Some are fairly obscure and thus rare. Others are not. Burro is another one of the eggs that I see fairly commonly on the west coast.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #12

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
when casita discontinued production on the 13ft patriot deluxe last year, they initially stated that they might bring it back if they got some orders for them. this is an extreme long shot and they may have decided not to go that route at all, but it might be worth a call to the factory and ask. doesn't hurt to ask.
i like the idea of buying something that is maybe not what you really want, like a scamp of some other small trailer and keep searching for the casita of your dreams. like others have said, you won't have trouble selling a scamp or any other fiberglass trailer at some future time for very close to what you paid for it if you find a casita. scamps still make the 13ft model so you could buy a brand new one if that's what you want. good luck
Old 12-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #13

North Carolina
Ok, you guys are awesome!!! So much good info. I really dont want to lose a camping season, Ive already experienced so many cancelled weekend camping trips due to getting rained out. I should adjust. Ive also been told that the idea of the 13' is one thing, but the reality is that its pretty stinking small even for one person. Maybe I need to expand my scope a bit to include both the 13' and 16' scamp or casita to find the right price and something that will check all the right boxes. I have actually liked the 13' and th 16' for different reasons as I have been looking at whats out there. I cant tell you all how much I appreciate the tips here and the pms. I really dont want to use the space for a shower/bathroom vs extra storage and ultimately, it would be nice to not have to break down the bed to have a table, so a separate dinette would be really nice. Im going to have to change my title to: searching for an older 13 or 16' scamp or casita within 500 miles of Charlotte. Nice to haves: no bath, second small dinette or couch, a/c, furnace, fridge (not an icebox). Will consider all options. Thanks to all of you for helping me find my way. I dont think I can change it, I might need to start a whole new thread to get the right responses from sellers. - T
Old 12-17-2017, 01:44 PM   #14

Missouri
scamper 13

we leave the bed up on our scamper 13 that the way it came only a 44in also. we have learned to cope with it and make it work.

we do very little cooking we have a futon on the other end there is no room ot let it down for a bed just for seating!

bob

Tags
casita