Looking for a light camper for 4 in New England - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2015, 05:37 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Towing Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonik View Post
Don't know much about trailers, so all comments and advice is welcome.
I have a 2.5i 2005 legacy manual transmission.... blue, if that tows any better.

There is a lot of guessing going on here about what YOUR vehicle is rated to tow. Please look in the owners manual and let us know what that tells you for maximum towing weight and tongue weight for YOUR specific vehicle.

Only then can we provide accurate help.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Just checked the manual and that legacy is rated for 1000lbs without brakes and 2700 lbs with brakes and a max tongue weight of 200lbs. That should help a bit but remember that includes all the stuff in the trailer so be careful when looking at the dry weights of trailers.
David I have corrected my post as I believe the 2700lbs is correct in 2005 they bumped up the tow rating on the Legacy from the 2000lbs it was in 2004.
Either way having pulled with an Outback with the similar specs due to the limiting 200lb tongue limit the OP is best to stick with a trailer with no more than a 2000 axle weight and 200lb tongue weight = total 2200lb trailer for a safe solid tow.

Agree with Bob as well its best that the OP check her actual manual as to the factual tow specs.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #17

Name: Ioanna
Trailer: shopping
Massachusetts
Thank you all so much for your input! I am so glad I found this site! I am also really sorry about this mess with the two threads going on. I will try to narrow it down to one, the one in the "wanted" where it should be.
I don't have a manual for my vehicle, as I bought it used. I will check with a suby dealer for the towing specs and post as soon as I have that data.
I assumed that buying new would be like buying a new car, it halves in value the minute you drive off the lot. If I can get a new one for just a little more cash (sounds like a sales gimmick!) I would consider that.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #18

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
We have a 17' unit and it sleeps 4 well and 6 in a pinch if two are small, washroom, shower, stove, fridge, furnace, still we would not want smaller personally with 4 you can find some light enough for your needs in the 14' to 17' range. Used will save money but check the condition over. The fiberglass units vary a lot even for same size and type in weight so you will have to check actual weight of any unit you pick. Also the sticker outside is the max weight possible and maybe more than trailer weight in older units, newer units can weigh more than stated.
Wish you well in your search. The older Subaru's other than outback had a higher rating then this years models. Some years had a 2500lb rating.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Thank you all so much for your input! I am so glad I found this site! I am also really sorry about this mess with the two threads going on. I will try to narrow it down to one, the one in the "wanted" where it should be.
I don't have a manual for my vehicle, as I bought it used. I will check with a suby dealer for the towing specs and post as soon as I have that data.
I assumed that buying new would be like buying a new car, it halves in value the minute you drive off the lot. If I can get a new one for just a little more cash (sounds like a sales gimmick!) I would consider that.
Values for these aren't the same as autos. Yes, they do loose a bit at first but it pretty much stables out in a short time. If you look at sold prices and the age and if they are in good shape they are close to what they cost new. If you do buy a used rig and it doesn't work out for you, you probably will break even or more if you got a deal on it when selling it.
Also, the NADA book values are not even close to what their worth in the real world. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #20

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
California
I think many people try to tow with a vehicle not heavy enough or with limited power. I tow my 17 casita with a GMC Yukon XL. 5.3 V8. My mileage does not go down much, and I can go anywhere. Have been to alaska, and all across the lower 48 with no problems.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:49 PM   #21

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
I think that a little research will reveal that "stickies" (traditional stick-built trailers) and pop-ups
depreciate rapidly but "well cared for fiberglass trailers" tend to hold their value fairly well.

Our 2011 Honda CRV is similar in hp and torque to your Legacy, but it has an automatic transmission. I think that the manual transmission in your Legacy offers you a bit of an
advantage when towing a trailer. Still, I'm not sure that I would want to try to tow a 16/17
foot trailer with the Legacy.

Although our CRV is/was an adequate tow vehicle, I much prefer towing with a little more
powerful tug. About a year after we got our Scamp13, we traded my older "work car"
for a 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost FWD that has a 3500 lb towing capacity. Now, if we
ever decide that we need a larger trailer, we will have a vehicle that will pull it without too
much difficulty. And, in the mean time, we now have two vehicles that will both pull our
13 foot Scamp. 😊

Once again, good luck with your decision(s)! 😊

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-09-2015, 11:00 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
It shouldn't take you several days to calm down after a stress-filled drive to your campground, followed by low level stress as you anticipate having to tow the next leg.
It's just not worth it to live on the edge.
Get a tow vehicle that is more than just adequate for the trailer.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Does Size Really Matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill castle View Post
I think many people try to tow with a vehicle not heavy enough or with limited power. I tow my 17 casita with a GMC Yukon XL. 5.3 V8. My mileage does not go down much, and I can go anywhere. Have been to alaska, and all across the lower 48 with no problems.
One of the tasks we have here is to help owners understand a bit about towing limits and, at least my personal thought, that more size and power in a TV isn't always necessary.

As an example, I don't know of many places in the lower 48 that a Honda CRV and a 13' FGRV (within it's 1500 lb limit) can't go, save adventuring off-road, but that's not in the requirement list for most FGRV owners. And, when the trailer isn't attached, you still have a high MPG SUV.

My "almost" son-in-law pulls a 17' Coleman (4800 lbs) with a GM Denali and his towing mileage doesn't drop much either, about 1 mpg, but that's from an everyday value of about 12 mpg, which he has to suffer with the 95% of the time when he isn't towing.

We all have our own needs but, for the most part, towing within manufacturers limits, and with proper set-up, allows using a number of smaller vehicles as tow vehicles.

Now, with those that think that manufacturers tow limits are only a suggestion, I have little time or patience.

Ones porridge may be to hot, shouldn't be to cold, but can still be just right.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I am really sorry about this mess with the two posts! I will narrow it down to one post where it should be in the "wanted" section. Thank you all so much for you input. I don't think I have a manual, as I bought the car used without manual. I will stop by or call a Suby dealer to find out details on towing weight.
You can down load the full Subaru Legacy 2005 Manual in PDF from JustGiveMeTheDamnManual.com Subaru Legacy Owners Manuals

Pages 8-31 to 8-41 cover towing. I highly recommend reading through the whole section!

Page 8-33 reads in part regarding trailer load limits: 1000lbs trailer without Brakes. 2700lb trailer with brakes

Page 8-36 reads in part: Ensure that the trailer tongue load is from 8 to 11 percent of the total trailer weight and does not exceed the maximum value of 200lbs.

Having previously towed with a Subaru Outback for six years (which due to size/design difference is IMHO a better option for towing with than the Legacy) I would add that I do not recommend towing a travel trailer with an 8% tongue weight - that is best left for those pulling boats that have a trailer with a much longer tongue than what is found on most travel trailers. For a stable tow I needed to have a tongue weight in the 10% or slightly higher range. The 200lb tongue limit and the 10% of total weight of the TT means your pretty well restricted to to a trailer with a total loaded weight of 2000lbs (axle and tongue) - which will keep you in the 13' trailer size.

Also note that Subaru does not recommend the use of the Weight Distribution Hitch on their full time All Wheel Drive vehicles - even though lots of people here will suggest you use one to solve the low tongue weight limit. Was told by Subaru the reason for that is they are concerned that the weight transfer that takes place with the use of a weight distribution hitch will interfere with their full time all wheel drive system (which is different from many of the other car manufactures) and negatively impact handling in certain conditions.

Also note that your car is now 10 years old - not sure how many miles you have on it but I found that towing with a Subaru did result in a lot more wear and tear issues than I had on Subarus that I had owned previously and that did not tow with. Head gaskets etc can get costly. So be real nice to that car!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #25

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Once you determine if you can tow a trailer a 13 ft Scamp with bunks would work. I have 2 girls ages 12 and 18 who sleep very well in the front bunks. Now we do spend most of our time outside using the trailer mainly for sleeping and dressing. We have spent a few cold rainy nights at the table with all 4 of us playing games. We are cozy but we like that. The best rule is only 1 person is allowed to be standing lol. With a screen room and awning there really isn't much need for everybody to be in the trailer other than for sleeping. We cook and eat outside unless the weather is really bad. The younger the kids the more room you have.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:55 PM   #26

Name: Ioanna
Trailer: shopping
Massachusetts
I called the dealer and as Carol mentioned the towing capacity is 2700lb with 200lb tongue weight. My car has 165K miles on it. It drives pretty nice and tight for that many miles. The head gasket will probably need changing at some point, but not yet.

I have to admit, we got these wacky ideas about towing with a car when we lived in the Netherlands. Those crazies tow the most giant things with their wagons! Because car taxes are so high (our 1997 legacy LPG cost us $250/month in taxes) very few people own trucks or even SUV's. And boy do they like their RV camping! (Not sure if any of you have watched the "top gear" car show, not the american, the British one, they rag on RV's in Europe a lot. Very funny.)

I can't imagine buying a car especially for camping at this point. If we do this enough, then we'll probably upgrade. To try things out I will aim for a trailer well within my towing specs. We would pretty much use it for sleeping/napping and diaper changing, so a 13' would be fine. I have never done this before, so trying it would probably be a good idea. This may sound silly, but is there a place where I can rent one? I tried calling an RV rental this morning to see if we can try one out. The sales lady said that that she wouldn't even know where I could find one. They only have the very large rv's.

Also, what would be the RV's you recommend that I look into that would be within my weight/size range?

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Looking for a light camper for 4 in New England

Quote:
...what would be the RV's you recommend that I look into that would be within my weight/size range?

A Scamp 13' Standard without a bath is the most common option. It will sleep 4, 2 on a double bed at the back and 2 on bunks at the front. It comes with a double burner stove, a sink and hand-pump water system, and either an icebox or a 3-way fridge. Scamps are still being made. You can see some pictures of a 2008 13' Scamp in my registry.

A Casita Patriot 13' Standard is another option, but harder to find with the front bunk layout. They are also still in business.

There are a number of other 13' trailers with similar floor plans that are no longer made, but come up on the used market. They include Boler, Trillium, U-Haul, Burro, and a number of less common makes.

In this size/weight class, it's important to find out if it has trailer brakes. Many don't, especially older ones, but you will need them with your tow vehicle.

I doubt you'll find one to rent, unfortunately. Even to find one to look at this time of year in MA won't be easy. You could post a request here. There might be a forum member in your area who'd let you take a peek. Later in the year you might visit an "egg" rally.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #28

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Hello Ioanna, We are in MA also, and recently bought a used camper. When I was shopping, EVERY DAY I checked: This site, the Scamp site, Casita site, and the fiberglass-rv-4sale.com site , the last one which usually has the broadest variety. But This site , Scamp, and Casita sites usually have the newest listings. You should be able to find something that fits you in that price range. The 2005 Legacy is sedan version of the 2005 Outback. As trailer get larger and heavier, the tongue weight is going to be the challenge for towing with the Legacy. GL, Mark

Tags
light