Looking for a light camper for 4 in New England - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Looking for a light camper for 4 in New England

Search local Craigslist listings also. A tool I have recently become aware of is SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more, which allows you to search Craigslist & eBay within a specified radius.

Don't recall if it's been mentioned in this thead yet or not, but you might want to download Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List from the document center (top tabs above log-in info under "More"). It'll help you ask the right questions on the phone and know what to look for during an inspection.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #30

Name: Ioanna
Trailer: shopping
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Search local Craigslist listings also. A tool I have recently become aware of is SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more, which allows you to search Craigslist & eBay within a specified radius.
That for some reason search thing never work for me. I am not sure what I am doing wrong in it. I usually just do this in google search:
scamp site:craigslist.org

You can narrow results posted in the last 24 hours. If you do it everyday only that days results show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Don't recall if it's been mentioned in this thead yet or not, but you might want to download Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List from the document center (top tabs above log-in info under "More"). It'll help you ask the right questions on the phone and know what to look for during an inspection.
The check list is great! Thank you.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #31

Massachusetts
Mark, How long did it take you to find one? I have yet to see any in this area. I did see one on ebay in Texas and it had like 97 viewers per hour! (That's a lot, for those who don't do ebay).
Old 01-16-2015, 11:46 AM   #32

Massachusetts
Has anyone tried importing from Canada? Is that a reasonable option?
thanks
Old 01-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It can be done, and many have, but there are some pitfalls. Google search this site for "import from Canada" and you should have plenty of information to get you started.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Importing from Canada is a viable option, but there are a few hoops you MAY have to jump through.

Very basically, as I currently understand the rules, Trailers over 25 years of age (pre-1990?) are exempt from any rules at point of entry where you have to declare it as being "imported" and just require some paperwork at the border.

Those less than 25 years of age have to be certified as meeting US DOT standards, usually either by a sticker attached by the mfg to the coach or with a letter from the mfg indicating same. Short either of these you usually have to have a commercial importer handle the task, a bit expensive as I understand.

There is a lot more on importing from Canada in the pull down located here <<<fiberglass-rv-4sale. com>>>.

One thing you DON'T want to do is buy in Canada and attempt to bring/have it brought into the U.S. without importing it at a border entry point. At the very least you will have to physically return the trailer to Canada and re-enter correctly. This cannot be done anywhere but at the border.

Also.... never buy a trailer from a tourist that has a Canadian title/registration. You can't get it titled here without legally importing it, again at a port of entry.

Because, apparently, they bring better prices in the U.S., we have seen an upswing in Canadians, without malicious intent, try to advertise and sell their trailers down here rather than towing them back home after extended vacations.

As always, ask lots of questions before handing over any $$$
Old 01-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #35

Massachusetts
For starter let's assume a trailer older than 25 years old. "Young" trailers is just difficult.

I have read on "some website" that all you need is a bill of sale. No need for the epa stuff because it has no engine, and no need for the dot stuff as it is antique. All you need is some paperwork at the border, and to register in your state. Sounds real simple.

The customs border says you need to (website): https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-into-the-u.s.

1. File an entry
2. certification label stating the trailer meets U.S. vehicle safety standards. (Unless you are a registered importer)
3. 8 hours for each step to process the papers.

I just spoke with a "registered importer" and he said that I can bring the trailer into the US using a Canadian vehicle pretending I am on vacation, and he'll register it for me! The opposite of what everyone else is saying on all the trailer forums. He said he can't "import" trailers just cars (weird).

How's that for conflicting information?

Has anyone actually imported a trailer older than 25 years old to tell us his story?
Ioanna
Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 PM   #36

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Because, apparently, they bring better prices in the U.S., we have seen an upswing in Canadians, without malicious intent, try to advertise and sell their trailers down here rather than towing them back home after extended vacations.
where did you hear that? Wish it were true! Used Fiberglass trailer prices in Canada are historically and still are much higher than the US which is why you find so may Canadians shopping for used trailers state side. Even for trailers that where originally built in Canada! LOL

If I had to guess as to why their has been an upswing in Canadians trying to sell their trailers in the US it is because a) they have decided they no longer want the trailer and they think they can save time and money on gas leaving it in the US or they have found themselves a different trailer in the US that they know would cost a lot more in Canada and they can't tow two trailers home!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #37

California
First, it's a DOT compliance issue, not EPA.... mostly about lighting etc.

Next, as the "registered importer" is suggesting that you break a federal law, that in itself, is enough to look elsewhere. Then they are willing to break another federal law to make a few $$$$$ Not the best kind of person/business to work with as it could all blow up in your face 2000 miles later when you are trying to get it registered in your home state. ICE is known to seize & crush vehicles not legally imported, the same applies to trailers.

And last, does one really think that U.S. customs won't question someone entering with a U.S. Passport and a Canadian trailer? The last time I pulled my trailer across the Canadian border (2 years back) I had to show the trailers registration and they matched it with it's license number and VIN. They aren't dumb.

Bottom line, contact U.S. Customs before buying, and check at the entry station when you leave the states to be sure you have what's needed to get it back in..... and BTW: Just your drivers license doesn't get you back in anymore, you need an enhanced license, a mini passport card or a passport. Actually Canada usually won't let you in without showing that you can get back into the U.S.

Last, not that it applies to anyone here but, as a relative of mine learned, if you have ever had a DUI or have any outstanding warrants, even for a traffic ticket, you won't get into Canada either,
Old 01-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #38

California
I was just guessing based on conversations I had with two Canadians attempting to sell trailers in the U.S. One thought that a Boler would bring huge bucks down here. I am guessing that all three reasons, plus a few yet to be mentioned, would be good reasons.
In reality a seller just has to have a good reason that satisfies the buyer.

Last November I did see a Lil' BigFoot, at a dealer near Summerland, BC, that was priced only slightly over what it might get in the lower provinces. LOL
But, that said, U.S. prices for FGRV's are highest in California and that's what I gauge on.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #39

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
But, that said, U.S. prices for FGRV's are highest in California and that's what I gauge on.
Funny enough there have been more than a few newer used Bigfoots sold used down in that region recently that have been snapped up by Canadian buyers who have brought them back to their home land.

Heck how many folks in the US do you think would be happy paying $5-7000 (or more) for a 35 year old 13' Scamp - usually missing something working - i.e. fridge, converter, stove etc? Its pretty well become the norm prices in these parts with old 13' Bolers - which there is no shortage of! LOL Take a look at the Fiberglass RV for Sale - Canada - Bolers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 PM   #40

California
We sold our 1988 Lil Bigfoot for almost 10k in CA last year, just a little less than the 2002 13' Scamp sold for 2 years before, and those were both off season sales.

Again, a seller can give any excuse that the buyer will be happy with.

Unfortunately we see a lot of For Sale asking prices, but few of the actual Sold For prices. And don't forget the 10% exchange rate difference right now.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #41

Massachusetts
I will be frank, I am having trouble finding any small campers in my area. So, looking across the border is not so much to find a "better deal" as it is to find one. I've seen quite a few in the south of the country (much further away than Canada), but nothing up here, except for a lot of "wanted" posts.

I am not really planning to use any dodgy sounding importing guys either. Not that I am such a "law obedient citizen", but I am not about to take his word on it that I will not be stuck with a Canadian trailer as a lawn ornament. I already have a few pretty things on my lawn. All I am saying, is that there is a lot of contradicting information about this out there about the process of importing a trailer.

I had to go through a similar process when we were moving from Holland to Belgium and we wanted to take our precious 1997 Legacy with us. It was not an antique, so it was a huge pain to get Belgian plates on that thing (My husband had to half remove the LPG lines out, and then put them back in after it passed inspection). The "conformity paper" was no picnic either. If it's anything like that, than it's not worth the trouble even if the trailer is free!

If anyone has brought a camper from Canada, I would love to hear your experiences. Meanwhile, I will try to contact the customs guys to see what they ask for, and post the response.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:56 PM   #42

California
Here is an excellent resource with a few examples.:
Importing Travel Trailer to United States | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

There are no "Inspections" like you mentioned. Both countries have similar enough construction requirements that all they are interested is the DOT compliance on those less than 25 years old, and that has nothing to do with what's inside. However I understand that some states still have safety inspections for trailers, but that's a local thing.

Tags
light