Looking for a light camper for 4 in New England - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-16-2015, 09:38 PM   #43
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonik View Post
Mark, How long did it take you to find one? I have yet to see any in this area. I did see one on ebay in Texas and it had like 97 viewers per hour! (That's a lot, for those who don't do ebay).
Took me almost a year to find the Casita I wanted as I kept missing them by a few days. Finally got on a plane within 12 hours, inspected, and bought one half way across the country. Had it brought on a flatbed from Denver, Colorado to Portland Oregon in 3 days for less than $1000. Many use Uship.com to move trailers, cars, etc - so don't limit your search too much!

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #44

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Here is an excellent resource with a few examples.:
Importing Travel Trailer to United States | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

There are no "Inspections" like you mentioned. Both countries have similar enough construction requirements that all they are interested is the DOT compliance on those less than 25 years old, and that has nothing to do with what's inside. However I understand that some states still have safety inspections for trailers, but that's a local thing.
Actually Bob there could indeed be a requirement for an inspection! Without a doubt my trailer which was 16 years old coming into Canada did indeed have an inspection even though I had a compliant letter that was current from the manufacture.

I also don't think the link is the best place to get the facts as to what one needs to importing to the US. Its missing a very important piece of info amongst other things. One is ALWAYS get a signed over copy of the Owners Registration Transfer when buying a Canadian trailer - without it you will never get it licensed in the USA. A good site for a general idea as to the rules but not the best.

Best as Slonik suggest to get the details on what the actual requirements are from the source the US Government.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #45

Name: Ioanna
Trailer: shopping
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Many use Uship.com to move trailers, cars, etc.
You made my day with this site! It may or may not help my trailer search, but I often find myself wanting things that people don't like to ship. I will try it. Thank you.
Ioanna
Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #46
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quite welcome; I use them to ship restored antique tractors, too

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #47

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonik View Post
I will be frank, I am having trouble finding any small campers in my area. So, looking across the border is not so much to find a "better deal" as it is to find one. I've seen quite a few in the south of the country (much further away than Canada), but nothing up here, except for a lot of "wanted" posts...

Ioanna, I think part of the problem is the season. Many people in your area, if they haven't left for warm climes, have laid up their trailers in winter storage. If they are thinking about selling, they may be waiting until March or April, when they can clean the trailer up properly, and when there are more buyers and prices tend to be higher.

There is more activity in southern states now because winter is prime camping season there.

I don't mean to discourage you from asking and looking now, in the US and Canada. You never know when the right trailer will show up. But it's not like buying a used Chevy, with hundreds to pick from on every street corner. It may take a while, but it's out there somewhere!
Old 01-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #48

Arizona
Registry
Almost forgot... In addition to finding out from the feds what is required to bring a trailer into the US legally, make sure you also have a chat with your state motor vehicle people about what you will have to do to get it registered.

Be prepared for some confusion, though. For example, it's my understanding Canada doesn't "title" vehicles as we do here; a "registration" document is the legal equivalent. Different terminology can lead to misunderstandings, especially at the state level. It's not something they deal with on a daily basis.

I would recommend reading the old threads on importing from Canada, not as a substitute for going to the government sources, but to hear some of the actual experiences of people who've done it, or tried to. You'll get a sense of the major "lawn ornament" pitfalls as well as the kinds of misunderstandings you may encounter.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #49

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Yep, as mentioned, this is the low season for FGRV sales and, on top of that, your location is surrounded by weather conditions that make selling what FGRV's are in the area a very low priority. Most sellers at this time of year and in cold climates are selling because they need to, not want to, sell. The good news, this is the point where prices are lowest for the year.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #50

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Almost forgot... In addition to finding out from the feds what is required to bring a trailer into the US legally, make sure you also have a chat with your state motor vehicle people about what you will have to do to get it registered.

Be prepared for some confusion, though. For example, it's my understanding Canada doesn't "title" vehicles as we do here; a "registration" document is the legal equivalent. Different terminology can lead to misunderstandings, especially at the state level. It's not something they deal with on a daily basis.

Jon raises a good point and the fact that most Canadians will respond with a blank look on their face when you ask them if they have a clear Title document... is simple because that is not a term we are familiar with. Its also the reason that some in the US believe that when you buy in Canada that you are taking a risk in regards to whether or not the trailer has a bank lean against it as you have no way of finding out if it does. Untrue.

In Canada we do as Jon correctly pointed out have what is called a Vehicle Owners Registration - which shows its VIN number, make, model and who the legal owner is & their address - every trailer should have its own registration paper work - if a seller says they do not have one for the trailer - walk away! When a Canadian trailer is sold by the owner they need to fill out what is called a Vehicle Registration Transfer - it is filled out and signed by the seller and it is what the buyer needs in order for the trailer to change ownership. It is the most important document you will need for two reasons 1) get the trailer across the border 2) registering it your home state. Although as Jon correctly points out some DMV in the US have never seen one so it can cause some confusion but normally if they make a few calls to their supervisors or whomever & the confusion will be cleared up quickly.

As far as the clear Title issue go that is a whole different story. You can indeed confirm if the the trailer has a loan/lean registered against it by a Bank or another party. Some loan registrations here are also referred to as a Chattel Mortgage or Personal Property Security - but again the term "Clear Title" is not something most Canadians are familiar with. So if the seller seems elusive in answering if he has one or not its simple due to the fact they probable have no idea what the heck you are talking about!

Most Banks these days do not register loans agains items if the value of them is low. So the odds of a used older trailer having a registered loan against are not high. Having said that there is indeed a way of checking if it does or does not have a registered loan against it though - but the problem is the average seller of the street is often unaware there is & that they can do the search themselves! Which is again in part why the rumour that we have no way of checking keeps its legs.

Every Province has a data base of all registered loans and one simple has to input the serial number of the trailer - if it has a registered loan against it the data base will come up with the details of the loan. If no loan registered against that serial number nothing will come up. The seller can in most Provinces go online and do a search of the data base for you - the cost to them is small - around $10 a search. The big problem is often getting them to do some homework on it and finding where the data base is online - if its big issue for them then the buyer can go online and do it themselves. Or you can simple go to PPSA.ca and have them do the search for you.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #51

Arizona
Registry
Very interesting, Carol. I'll add that to my file of things worth remembering.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #52

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
I've got to admit that there are quite a few less listings now, in January, than when I was looking in November. The fiberglass-rv-4sales site "harvests" the Craig's listings, but their listings have a time lag. If you google "search all craig's list" for a link to search and then enter "scamp" or "casita" or "fiberglass camper" etc, and that will come up with new listings that may not be on the other sites yet.
Mark
Old 01-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #53

Western Massachusetts
The one that came up on google for me was not named "searchtempest", so maybe look for another link. there may be several different links that search Craig's
Mark
Old 01-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #54

Western Massachusetts
Smile

Ioanna, We looked at a few trailers but they were from as far away as Virginia to as close as New Hampshire before buying an Eggcamper from NH , late in Nov. The most important part of the process was to decide what We Wanted, and that eliminated a lot of unnecessary travel to look at trailers that were not for us anyway. But, just when you get tired of looking at unsuitable trailers--one will come up for sale that is just your type and price. Then, call right away, be prepared to buy right away, that is, if it is Really the camper you want.
GL
Mark
Old 01-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #55

Western Massachusetts
On-line, I looked at campers from Quebec and Ontario also. It's not really far to go, just up I93, 91 or 89 to near Montreal, QC or Ottawa,ON. The Toronto area and western Ontario and Maritimes (NB, NS) are a lot, lot farther away. If I was considering importing, I'd ask the Mass Registry about ownership papers from , Specifically, the province you would be importing from, that is probably, Quebec or Ontario. I just registered my Eggcamper and the MA RMV had to create a whole new manufacturer listing for Eggcamper, as they had never had one in MA and the NY title listed it as a generic camper. It took 2 visits but the Mass RMV got it done right, and now I have a correct registration and title. ..... Or... since it's so cold up here now, you could take a vacation to Florida and take a look a campers down there....Oh.., and don't forget to look at older (ONLINE) listings--like a month to 3 months old, that have not sold yet. Some haven't sold because of price or condition, but sometimes owners are more agreeable to a reasonable price after their camper didn't sell for a long period of time. Make a fair offer--it can't hurt.
GL Mark
Old 02-20-2015, 11:11 PM   #56

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I guess we really lucked out. We found this site and within a few weeks ( after many hours of study here) we found our ideal trailer and bought her. We discovered she was slightly less ideal than we thought but all is satisfactorily redone now.
A. It will probably seem like too much $$
B. The money won't matter if it's the right rig.

We couldn't be happier with our Compact II. But it wouldn't be what everyone would want.

Best of luck

Denece

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Tags
light