looking for a litehouse or Little joe - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Red face looking for a litehouse or Little joe

I am looking for either of the trailers listed above....also if you currently have one, (even if not for sale) i'd like some info on outside dimensions etc...
I'd prefer insomething in SoCalif...but am open to travel...(Did someone say roadtrip)

Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Let me know specifically the measurements you need and I'll pull out the tape.

Actually, as to Little Joes, I think you have a better chance west of the Mississippi, as I don't think many get east of there. I bought mine in Fort Worth, TX from some gals from Nevada.

There was one up in WA or OR just recently that I referenced in the classifieds here.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #3

Louisiana
Registry
Here is the link.

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/rvs/fi.../20060518.html

I just checked and it is still listed. If you check with this seller, ask about the wall covering. It looks awfully light. The Lighthouses I have seen have bare fiberglass walls. The Little Joe should have Ensolite, but mine is a grey color. In the additional pictures, the one on the bottom is sideways; lean to your right. Also there doesn't seem to be a tempered glass cover on the stove. Mine has the cover on both the stove and the sink, making that shelf space when you aren't using the appliances.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
little joe

wow thanks fo rthe quick reply.......just a few questions if you don't mind
1) what is true weight...most mfg seem to have a tenadance to give low numbers
2) what is the outside height...i need to fit this into a garage (due to my homeowners assoc)
3) are you pretty happy with yours...in other words would you buy another
Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #5

Louisiana
Registry
The actual height is difficult to be absolutely precise. I have a Camco vent cover so I can use the Fantastic Fan when it's pouring outside. That gives our trailer a total height of 102 in. However, total height when level, to the top of the roof rails is 92 inches. I measured the internal height of the fan dome cover to the fan frame at 6 inches. adjusted for the frame thickness and such, the fan should stick up about 3 inches above the roof rails, for a total of 95 inches without the Camco vent cover, give or take.

The scaled weight of our trailer, loaded for the last trip was 1760 with a tongue weight of 180 or so. That was loaded with the water tank full. I have 4 solar panels which weigh about 13 lbs each. The battery is a Group 24 Deep Cycle battery. Additionally, we carry 2 camp chairs and a 12x12 Coleman canopy on the floor of the trailer. We also have a small AC mounted in the front below the window. Of course we also have the Porta Potti, cloths and the various necessities needed for camping. Anything else goes in the TV.

Also, I should mention that we have switched the LPG tank to and 11 pounder to reduce tongue weight on the Outback. When camping we use the LPG to run the refrigerator and to make coffee in the mornings. Unless the weather is really lousy, we do all our cooking on a camp stove.

Yes, we love the Little Joe, but this was a real step up for us after 30+ years of tent camping. We still consider ourselves more on the camper side of the equation than the RV side.

We have a queen sized bed, Porta Potti, running water, a two burner stove and a refrigerator. What else do you need. Oh, and we have AC when we have shore power. The trailer suits us admirably.

CAUTION: Note my handle.

PS Yes, if something happened to this one I would buy another, if I could find one.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #6

California
The minimalist

Thanks for the info....that helps more than you can imagine....
I really like you trailer and glad it works for you....i'm hoping i can find one close to at least take a look at

Thanks again
Alan & Cindy
Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Another one to keep an eye out for is the Hunter Compact. These are even shorter, but made with a centered roof panel that can pop up. Pictures can be found by searching the trailer registry.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 AM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
saw a litehouse listed the other day on that fiberglassrv4sale site. I think it is in Silver springs New Mexico. A 1993. in the photos it looks awesome.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #9

California
Thanks for all the repsonses

Chillywilly....you found exattly what i'm looking for...
Now if you could find one a bit closer
Guess i'll have to keep looking
Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #10

California
little joe or lite house

Please keep me in mind if anyone hears
about one of these a bit close to so calif
I m retiring in Jan 2015
so it is 5 mos to early,or we would
be looking at a roadtrip

Thanks in advance
Alan&Cindy
Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Alan you could always have it shipped.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #12

Louisiana
Registry
Alan:

The Oregon and New Mexico trailers are about equidistant from you. I hope you can find something closer. You might look on Craigs List in Colorado and adjacent states, since they are made in Henderson, Co.

A quick note; the Litehouse was the forerunner of the Little Joe. They have in common the same molds and basic layout. I understand Marty bought the molds when Litehouse went out of business.

There are some very distinct differences. If you look at both offerings, you will notice that the Liteouse is quite sparse. Notice that there are not any upper cabinets. This is something that could be remedied, if you're handy. Depending your planned usage, an ice box or three way refrigerator might be desired.

The Litehouse, as I understand it, was originally built on a boat trailer or something similarly light, with 10 inch rims. The Little Joe has a 3500 lb torsion axle, and 14 inch wheels. I can't confirm it, but 2x3 in steel box frame, the axle and the ground clearance suggest that Weiscraft intended the trailers for hunters.

It appears there are other differences as well, but I can't confirm, as I have never actually seen a Litehouse except here on the registry.

How do you plan to use the trailer?
Old 08-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #13

California
Wanted lite house or Little Joe

Well....as the say goes I dropped the ball (MY NFL reference) missed out on theLite House...message learned."DON"T DRAG YOUR FEET "

So if anyone stumbles/ spots/or knows of a Little Joe (Preferred) or a Lite House trailer please keep me in mind
Old 10-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #14

California
Still looking for a little joe or lite house trailer
Please keep me in mind during your travels

Tags
little joe