looking for a trailer within a day's drive of seattle (WA, OR, ID?, CA?) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #15

Name: Sean
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
Hi Brianna,

We have a 16' Casita for sale in Squamish BC:
16' Casita Fiberglass Travel Trailer (New Price)

Old 07-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #16

Name: brianna
Trailer: shopping
Washington
you've got my attention both my husband and i have expired passports (i really need to get that rectified). do you know how it works to bring it across and sell it? would you be willing to do that? and do you know the tongue weight?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #17

British Columbia
I know that all Casita's in Canada were imported at some point so it can't be that much trouble. I'll take a look tonight once home from work. Depending on the import process, we could likely bring it across the border without much trouble. The tongue weight would be around 150-200lbs if 10% of trailer weight. It's a very light trailer. I'll check on the weight also.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #18

British Columbia
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-into-the-u.s.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbickerton View Post
I know that all Casita's in Canada were imported at some point so it can't be that much trouble. I'll take a look tonight once home from work. Depending on the import process, we could likely bring it across the border without much trouble.
Sorry but a Canadian registered trailer can not be taken into the USA (regardless of where it was originally built) and sold in the USA! The buyer would never be able to register it in the USA if that was to happen.

The buyer would have to come to Canada and purchase it and go through the US import process.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #20

British Columbia
Don't be sorry Carol! Thanks for the info. Was not sure about whether the buyer needed to physically be in Canada to import, hence "depending on the import process". Is there any way this could be imported to the US with a potential buyer not having valid passports?
Old 07-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Whoa... You said that you would be towing with a 3000 limit and wanted to stay under that. A packed16' Casita will be right at that number with a 300 lb tongue weight. See Trailer weights in the real world again...

You can have an Import Agent take care of the importing problems but, without a passport or a border card you can't go get it. More Loonies for you.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbickerton View Post
Don't be sorry Carol! Thanks for the info. Was not sure about whether the buyer needed to physically be in Canada to import, hence "depending on the import process". Is there any way this could be imported to the US with a potential buyer not having valid passports?

Yup - someone could tow it down to the border to a licences broker for the buyer and the buyer could hire them to do the paper work etc and have it inspected at the border and then have them pull it across the border where the purchaser picks it up on the US side. There would of course be no opportunity for the buyer to view the trailer though prior to the trailer going through the import process unless the seller was willing to bring the trailer across for them to look at and then turn around and take it back into Canada and then hand it over to the broker to export correctly into the USA. Amongst other things the broker would need a compliance letter from Casita, a sales slip from the seller and the trailers BC owners registration papers signed by the seller. Who ever imported it probable/should have the required compliance paper work needed to get it back into the USA as it was needed to get it into Canada to start with, which would save some hassle.

Seems all a little bit silly to do that though as Casita's are a bit of a rare thing in Canada and though there was no duty on the trailer, there were costs associated with importing it - time and money (if it was less than 16 years old it had to go through the RIV process which equals $$$) so one can expect the purchase price of a Casita in Canada to be higher than the cost of buying one in the USA..... which is why most Canadian's wanting a Casita or a Scamp purchase them in the USA and import them themselves
Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Carol,
Lots of information, THANKS! It appears that the devil is in the details to either import or export a camper from/to Canada! That is what keeps life from getting boring! So, I would assume that the best way to import/export a camper, is to get a lawyer that specializes in such matters to help you get all of the paper work completed properly?
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Another issue is that the tongue weight of a 16' Casita (even sans bathroom) very likely exceeds the 200# limit of your TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
So, I would assume that the best way to import/export a camper, is to get a lawyer that specializes in such matters to help you get all of the paper work completed properly?
Thanks,
Actually the process is pretty straight forward and simple to do on your own. I have done it going north twice - a trailer is actually easier than a car. You just need to go to the government website and read the actual requirements and process. If you have any questions call the border you will be crossing at to confirm you have all the paper work you will be required to show. Unlike a car you do not need to send the paper work to the border 3 days ahead of time to be approved - just show up with the trailer and the correct paper work and you will be good to go.

It can get expensive though if you are not able to do the leg work yourself and if the trailer is none DOT compliant..... but in the case of a Casita as with most trailers still in production either in the US or Canada they will be compliant. There is a small issue with Bigfoots though that were made prior to the company restructuring. Although they are compliant they require an actual inspection (if they have no stickers on them stating them to be) to prove that as the current company will not issue a compliance letter as Casita, Scamp and Escape etc will.

If the trailer is over x so many years old (age requirement different going in each direction) its even easier as you don't even need it to be DOT compliant, all you would need is the Bill of Sale and if going out of Canada it would need the signed owners transfer papers.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #26

Name: Karen
Trailer: 2000 Scamp
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannastuart View Post
i'm looking for a lightweight fiberglass trailer to be towed by a 2010 outback (limit is 3000lb, so i'd like to keep it under 2000). most of the time it'll be used by me and my twins (who are nearly four now), but my husband will be along sometimes as well. would love to have a toilet/shower, but that's not critical, but it does need to have a place for all of us to sleep and a way to heat food. we plan to use this year round, and will be taking it from seattle to indiana in october, so it needs to be heated.

mechanical soundness is a MUST. cosmetically, eh, i'd be just as happy letting the kids customize it a bit as i would be with a perfect one, so not a big deal if it needs some upholstery and so on (i have the skills to do that sort of thing).

under $10k for certain and preferably under $8k.

i grew up with a Scamp, and can't wait to introduce my kids to the fun of traveling with a camper in tow!

big hopes and dreams for adventures await your reply

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #27

Name: brianna
Trailer: shopping
Washington
hello all,
we've purchased a 1973 Sprite! i can't figure out how to close this thread, but... we're all set for now!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
looking for a trailer within a day's drive of seattle (WA, OR, ID?, CA?)

Congratulations! Can't close the thread until we see pictures...

Wishing you safe travels and many happy memories in your "new" camper!