Looking for a used trailer in California - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-11-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
ACC

Name: Anne
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Looking for a used SMALL trailer in California (with porta-potty in enclosure)

This is my first post as I am new to this forum and community. I appreciate the amazing amount of information that is here.

My husband is getting ready to retire soon and as tent campers, we are currently researching and shopping for an RV in order to greatly expand our traveling options. We hope to camp more within the state (3-4 days at a time) as well as make some long-distance road trips in 2017. We think we would prefer a pre-owned trailer, and even though we currently have a 1/2 ton pickup, we would like something very small and lightweight. We have looked at the A-line campers and even considered the old Apache hard-sided fold outs, and now are researching fiberglass trailers.

We suspect we will do most of our traveling without hook-ups but don't plan to have a generator because of their noise. Most important to us is having a toilet (porta-potty PREFERRED over flush toilet with black water tank), preferably in its own private space (with some kind of surround). We would prefer to have at least a 2-person dinette separate from the bed (a double bed is sufficient), but if the right trailer comes along, we might consider a trailer where the dinette makes into the bed--which we know is common in smaller trailers. The other biggest consideration is that my husband is 6' tall, and he really wouldn't want to have to stoop the entire time he's in the trailer. So, I'm wondering if these preferences and my husband's height eliminate a great many of the smallest fiberglass trailers?

We are in CA, about 4 hours from both San Francisco and Los Angeles, and willing to travel for the right RV. We are in a more rural area, so fiberglass trailers don't come up for sale locally as often as in metro areas.

I know I am posting this in the WANTED section, but should I also post in the "Hi, I am ..." section in case someone wants to offer any general suggestions about shopping? Thanks in advance for any leads!

Old 10-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: Burro
California
Go to first new post Looking for a used trailer in California

I have a 70's 13' Burro that is road worthy but needs work
Wiring is funky, new flash water heater ready for install. 35 gal. water tank
behind propane bottle in front. Interior good. I'll send images if interested
Ted

Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #3
ACC

Name: Anne
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Hello Ted! Thanks so much for posting! I may be interested! Before I ask to see photos, I have a few really basic questions first: What is the interior height? What is the interior layout? In what area of California are you located? And, lastly, do you have title in hand? (I noticed in an earlier post that you were trying to establish the Burro's date of manufacture.)

(To all of you forum regulars: If I should have private messaged the above questions, I would appreciate knowing. I'm a newbie here and still learning my way.)

THANKS!

Anne
Old 10-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 1996 Casita LD
North Carolina
Be ready to travel a distance and do a lot of research now so you can launch when you see something that fits. Once a trailer is publicly for sale, it is often sold faster than you can do the research.

The other piece you need to consider is air conditioning. If you can live without it, you will have a lot more options.

As you look at smaller trailers, beds tend to get smaller and smaller, and toilets disappear.

As far as your truck, I am from the school where I would rather have more than enough tow vehicle than one that is close to its limit or marginal. Been there, done that, won't do it again!

Towing where you can go a normal speed up a steeper grade is nice. So we pull our 17 foot Casita with a F150 truck. And personally, I prefer a trailer with brakes. Ford makes a nice integrated brake controller that fits right in the dash on their newer trucks (mine is a 2010).

Although FG trailers do not have many of the issues that stick built trailers have, there still are some things that tend to have maintenance issues. They do hold their value great, so be ready to pay a fairly big price for a twenty or thirty year old one!

A-liners have issues too. I have friends that have two A-liners. They store them outside, and leave them opened up as they report the roof panels/skylights leaking if they leave them out in the weather folded down.

Also, be careful with bed sizes. In the RV world, twin, full, queen and king size often have little in common with standard bed sizing. For example, the twin beds in our trailer are a "whopping" 23 inches wide. A traditional twin bed is 39 inches wide! So just because a bed is called full sized (or whatever) doesn't mean it is that size. I have seen a fair number of RV full sized beds that were closer to a standard twin size than a traditional full size. Realize that on a 13 foot camping trailer, the tub is only 10 foot or even shorter. If you want to fit a dinette, a toilet, stove, frig and full sized bed, you quickly run out of space. Lots of compromises!