Looking for camper low in toxins and/or sufficiently off gassed - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #1

Name: Margaret
Trailer: in the market
North Carolina
Looking for camper low in toxins and/or sufficiently off gassed

I am sensitive to mold and chemicals. For that reason, I am looking for a used camper in a dry climate like what exists in the Southwest and some other states, like Wyoming. The camper should be sufficiently off gassed.c

Examples include Egg, Casita, Scamp, and possibly an Oliver or Lil Snoozy (have not seen the last two yet).

I can't risk buying anything in a humid climate, unless it's new, fairly low in toxins, and customizable.

Lengths would be from 15 to 17; 18 at the most.

Thanks, Margaret

Old 07-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #2

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Sounds like your best bet would be to gut an existing fiberglass trailer and build your own interior.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #3

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
I am sensitive to mold and chemicals, so I'm looking for a fiberglass camper that has been off gassed, or is low in toxins. If it's used, I prefer that it be in a dry climate.

The Oliver sounds promising, but is too expensive new.

As for others, I prefer a brand that doesn't use a lot of particleboard or plywood (both of which contain toxic glues and formaldehyde) although Azdel is most likely ok.

Prefer non toxic upholstery and cushioning, or something that can easily be customized or changed. Most upholstery and foam cushions contain fire retardants, etc.

Looking for something to which I could attach solar and that is well insulated for boondocking and full time use.

Lengths would be from 15 to 17; 18 at the most.

Thanks, Margaret
GOOD LUCK in your search . I do not know of any trailer ,fiberglass or stick built that meets your criteria or any standard built home for that matter . Glues ,solvents ,carpeting , many fabrics and most foams are petroleum based.
Most upholstered furniture / cushions have to be flame retarded by law .
I hope you find what you are looking for.
Talia has given you one solution but trying to find building materials that meet your standards may be difficult or impossible to obtain or too expensive to be practical.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
GOOD LUCK in your search . I do not know of any trailer ,fiberglass or stick built that meets your criteria or any standard built home for that matter . Glues ,solvents ,carpeting , many fabrics and most foams are petroleum based.
Most upholstered furniture / cushions have to be flame retarded by law .
I hope you find what you are looking for.
Talia has given you one solution but trying to find building materials that meet your standards may be difficult or impossible to obtain or too expensive to be practical.
Yes Steve, that's why I'm no longer going to live in a standard home! I don't know whether it's legal or not, but some foams are now being produced without fire retardants. Its' possible that the laws have changed. Same with upholstery, i.e. you can get washable linen or hemp upholstery (untreated).

Some RVs are now "green certified," but the ones I've seen online are simply too big! The new Airstreams, for example, are supposed to be non toxic.

That is why I think my best option is indeed Talia's, or finding a used camper in a very dry climate (that has been sufficiently off gassed).

Interestingly, there are chemically sensitive and mold sensitive people who live in campers. AFB makes sealants for chemically sensitive people. The best cabinet options are either solid wood or Azdel.

Even rat fur is ok, I think, as long as it has been in a very dry climate. More ideal is all fiberglass with very little stuff glued over it.

Worst case, you can seal everything with an AFB sealant that locks in the bad stuff, and you can even seal carpeting.

So I'm looking for a compromise; can you blame me for trying?

Margaret
Old 07-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
I have a suggestion for you. I think there are some people in the forum who renovate older fiberglass trailers for resale. You will have no mold or out gassing issues if you work with one of them to be sure that everything that goes into the project is friendly to your body. They can take it down to the shell and build it back up to suit you. But do get a shell in good condition that does not need a lot of repairs to the fiberglass.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I have a suggestion for you. I think there are some people in the forum who renovate older fiberglass trailers for resale. You will have no mold or out gassing issues if you work with one of them to be sure that everything that goes into the project is friendly to your body. They can take it down to the shell and build it back up to suit you. But do get a shell in good condition that does not need a lot of repairs to the fiberglass.
Thanks for the idea. Mold can be very tricky, because it can exist as dry spores, so the shell would have to be completely mold free.

I do know of people who have had success, I say, at the risk of repeating myself, with off gassed campers in very dry climates.

I think maybe I'd better change the title of this thread, or noone will have anything for sale!

Margaret
Old 07-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

North Carolina
Check this out; it explains a bit of what I need:

These are links that explain what I need:

http://www.mychemicalfreehouse.net/2...sensitive.html

Scroll down to "trailers;" I think "trailers" is the Canadian word for "campers."

http://cfsmethylation.blogspot.com/2...e-housing.html

Margaret
Old 07-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #8

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Road View Post
Thanks for the idea. Mold can be very tricky, because it can exist as dry spores, so the shell would have to be completely mold free.

I do know of people who have had success, I say, at the risk of repeating myself, with off gassed campers in very dry climates.

I think maybe I'd better change the title of this thread, or noone will have anything for sale!

Margaret
If you know people who have purchased a camper that is not bothering their chemical sensitivity then buy that brand of camper.

Once you know the brand then create a keyword search for it defined with the geographic location.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If you know people who have purchased a camper that is not bothering their chemical sensitivity then buy that brand of camper.

Once you know the brand then create a keyword search for it defined with the geographic location.
I don't know anyone personally, but the people I've spoken to online mentioned Scamp and Casita, and one of the FB forum admins said it might be important to buy one used that was located in a state with a dry climate.

I am in NW NC (of all places, LOL), but the Oliver, Parkliner, and Lil Snoozy are the ones closest to me, if I were to buy one new. Oliver is pretty expensive though.

I saw the Parkliner, and I liked it a lot, but it definitely off gassed. Having said that, I could seal almost everything that wasn't already buried, but I have my doubts.

If I can stand driving four hours to a hot part of SC, I could check out the Lil snoozy. Otherwise, I guess I would either have to go out West or get a Cargo Trailer.

Margaret
Old 07-05-2016, 06:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
I am chemically sensative as well and live I the damp east coast of Canada.
There are many levels of sensativity in different people.
I was very, very, but that has changed over the years to only certain items that bother me.
We have 2 trailers....a Bigfoot and a 17 foot Trillium.
The bigfoot has mostly real oak wood work and is best for me.
It has been a long journey to adapt, and lucky non sensative folks will have a difficult time understanding how complicated and varied it can be for us and all our quirky needs.
Too long and generally boring to others to go into specifics here, but if you want to send me a PM and speak by phone as to any info from me, I would be happy to give you more info about what we did.

Good luck.
Donna
Old 07-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #11

Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
I hate to be alarmist, but all campers are likely full of toxic materials/gases. Plumbing, fabrics, composite wood products, plastics, etc. are all possible sources of nasty gases. I cannot think of any material in a camper (or in my home) that is toxin free. Even solid wood gives off complex chemicals. The "pleasant smells" of freshly sawn wood are really chemicals with very long names.

We keep our roof vent permanently open to help, but a well-ventilated nylon tent maybe the only solution for the sensitive camper. OTOH, an older camper likely will have much lower concentrations nasty gases.

Mold - As cool weather campers condensation is a constant issue which we work hard to reduce. Condensation will accumulate in hidden parts of a camper and can easily lead to mold. (Scamp's waterproof bubblewrap insulation really helps here.) Keep your windows open as much as possible and ventilate closed in areas. I popped in 3 inch round vents to ventilate many enclosed spaces. Also running the furnace with the roof vent open send lots of moisture out the roof. Desert camping helps too, but we tend to like the forest and the seashore where high humidities are common.

Good luck, john
John Linck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #12

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
As it happens; we have just ordered a new ParkLiner for delivery in Sept.
We have a 2000 Scamp, 16 ft. Deluxe, Side dinette. for sale
After 16 years it is likely off gassed as much as it ever will.
We live in N.E. Iowa. The Scamp has been stored outdoors, and with the roof vent, and front bath window open for fresh air.
We could bring it to you when we go to NC for our new one.

Send me a note to Lwgcollins@aol.com and I'll send photos and details.