Looking for Fiberglass RV - colorado - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2016, 06:28 AM   #1

Name: Briony
Trailer: in the market
Colorado
Looking for Fiberglass RV - colorado

Looking for a trailer reasonably near Colorado. Would prefer something along the lines of a 16ft scamp (13ft is probably too small, I'm 6'5 and want to be able to lay down). Looks like these can be had for 7-8k in decent condition here in Colorado without too much trouble. Seeing if I can find a better deal around here. Willing to travel reasonable distance for right trailer.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by briony1 View Post
Looking for a trailer reasonably near Colorado. Would prefer something along the lines of a 16ft scamp (13ft is probably too small, I'm 6'5 and want to be able to lay down). Looks like these can be had for 7-8k in decent condition here in Colorado without too much trouble. Seeing if I can find a better deal around here. Willing to travel reasonable distance for right trailer.
Welcome to the forum, Briony!

The beds in a 16' Scamp are the same as a 13'. The extra length adds a bathroom, a second dinette, a larger galley, and/or storage, depending on the model. The main dinette bed in both is 45"x75" in standard (fiberglass interior) versions and 54"x75" in deluxe (wood interior) versions. If you're by yourself you might fit diagonally.

If you're handy, you could modify a 16' side dinette model to sleep lengthwise. The factory set-up has a structural bulkhead between the rear dinette and side dinette (see photo). Remove that and replace it with a wooden rib epoxied to the shell.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScampSideDinette.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	97511

You'll also come up short on interior height, though most people would agree that the bed is the first priority. Older (2006 and earlier) 13'ers are a little under 6'. Newer 13'ers and all 16'ers are taller, about 6'2".

In the molded fiberglass world, you are considered "height challenged." There are taller members who make it work, but few as tall as you! Only way to find out is to follow up on an ad and check it out for yourself.

I don't know that you'll find better deals here, but in some cases you can find out a little about the seller by reviewing their old posts. Have you already found Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale ?

Best wishes!

Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #3

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
If you're finding a few in Colorado, you'd likely do just about as well local as you would traveling long distances. Adding $600-$800 to the cost by travel costs of fuel, motel, food, etc would have to be for something very special, that's my thought, FWIW.

6'5" is pushing the comfort barrier for a Scamp, both in ceiling height (6'2") and in bed length (about the same, in real, useable inches)

There is "geographic" ebbs and tides, it seems. Sometimes there are quite a few in this area and none in that area and then it flip flops, for whatever reason. If you're serious about buying a Scamp 16, you'd be just as well served getting started. At the price point you mentioned, there is going to be elbow grease equity that you're going to spend anyhow. Best wishes on your purchase.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Parkliner claims 6'5" interior height,

ParkLiner Ultra-Light Camper Trailer Specs – ParkLiner Ultralight Travel Trailers

and a 'queen-size' bed. But RV 'queen' is not the same as home 'queen'.

Hard to find used ones, though; haven't been around very long.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Parkliner claims 6'5" interior height,

ParkLiner Ultra-Light Camper Trailer Specs €“ ParkLiner Ultralight Travel Trailers

and a 'queen-size' bed. But RV 'queen' is not the same as home 'queen'.

Hard to find used ones, though; haven't been around very long.

/Mr Lynn
My "RV Queen" measures the same as the "home queen" which is my wife who is 5'
The bed in the Parkliner measures 60" x 80" with 2 rounded corners in the back.
Sid
Old 07-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #6

Name: Briony
Trailer: in the market
Colorado
So are there other fiberglass/lightweight campers with decent interior height? I've read that Burros and some others arent bad but I have been having trouble finding exact dimensions.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
None come close to your height except a few newer designs, and you'll need to double your budget, even used. They include Parkliner, Lil Snoozy, and EggCamper. The last two are all-electric (some early EggCampers included LP systems).

A vintage Burro wide-body might meet your needs; the regular Burro 13' has the same small bed as a Scamp. The wide-bodies are fairly rare. They were made in two lengths, 14' and 17'. The longer version has a bathroom alcove, which may or may not have a toilet and/or shower installed. Here's an example from the archives: 1999 17' Burro Wide-body

This old thread may help with beds: Bed Sizes. I don't know of anything similar for interior height data.