Looking for first Egg - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Looking for first Egg

We usually don't mind tent camping, but my husband is sick of the packing up part at the end. We are looking for our first egg, and would prefer a used one. Did find a "to good to be true" Scamp on craigslist...watch out for this vin # 1S7R5W10990035918....Have it listed as a 2003 layout 2 for 1700. AWESOME RIGHT? We will keep looking!!!

Have been looking at Scamps, but would like an EggCamper, or a restored Uhaul, or whatever really...We are in Michigan

Old 08-28-2014, 07:25 PM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome Emily - if you haven't already found it Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com is a good place to keep your eyes on.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome.

It is so nice to have even the camping as ready to go
as a bug out experience. And unpacking (if any) can
wait until you're ready to do it.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #4

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Connecticut
Dear Emily,
Welcome to Fiberglass! Lots to consider. Make sure you know all about tow vehicles and brake controllers and tow packages, so you'll know your tow vehicle can really handle what you're pulling. Lots of good advice on these sites, already. Check out the casita sites for that information, too.
Are you thinking bathroom? I love mine, but taking on plumbing is it's own adventure! I'm handling it, thanks to all the good advice on here and the other sites.

Read alot before buying!!!
Sue
Old 08-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

Michigan
Thanks everyone! I am not in a hurry to buy, and like doing the research, and looking. Open to a toilet, but really not necessary. I do work in a plumbing supply warehouse, so I can find help if need be. Just would like it to sleep 2 adults and 2 kids. Someday...
Old 08-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Welcome to FGRV Emily. A good way to kick start your learning process is to attend a fiberglass rally and see all the different brands, and models. There is one coming up in one week at Algonac State Park in MI. We just got a Scamp 13 and will be attending. In fact this is our first rally, so we'll be learning too. I believe part of Saturday will be set aside to tour the trailers present. Owners will be standing by to answer all your questions. My wife Joanne and I would be happy to meet you and your family. Here's a link to the rally:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-61725.html

Tom
Old 08-29-2014, 06:18 PM   #7

Name: Richard
Trailer: Trillium 1300 Nor'Easter Egg '06 Ranger Supercab 3.0L auto
Newfoundland
Send a message via Skype™ to Richard Hayes
Consider putting the Trilliums on your list - they were manufactured in Ontario, so should be available near you. My '74 is still going strong...even if it has kinda square corners for an "egg"...
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #8

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Emily. Hope you find the perfect egg.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #9

Michigan
Thank you Tom! Unfortunately to busy to attend that rally this weekend, but I will be looking into them for the great info. Just talking with my husband yesterday, and we were wondering if anyone has seen or had an egg without a kitchen and bath/toilet? We actually would like an egg pretty much just for sleeping when it comes down to it. We know for sure we do not want a pop up!!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The kitchens in a 13' egg are pretty minimal. Typically they don't have a bathroom. Trillium, Boler, Scamp,.... all offer a 13', or 15' that matches this description.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Most of the smaller eggs will sleep 4: 2 on a double bed at the back and 2 on bunks at the front. Know that the double bed is typically pretty narrow, and the upper bunk is weight-limited. A 15' Trillium has the same arrangement but more space and a wider bed. Buying used, be aware that some owners remove the upper bunk and may not have the parts to reinstall, so best to ask. Most smaller eggs don't have bathrooms but instead provide a porta-potty spot. If they do have a bathroom, they give up 2 sleeping spots.

Personally, I like the small kitchenette in our 13' Scamp, even though we don't generally use it. In bad weather, or a quick parking lot/overflow area overnight stop, we could cook a light meal or make AM coffee inside if necessary. Otherwise, we disconnect the propane tank and use it to fuel our outdoor kitchen.

The EggCamper is a big step up, both in amenities and weight. It is all-electric, no propane, so hookups or generator needed. Not sure if the side dinette makes bunks for 2 or not.

I'd highly recommend looking for one with brakes. Not all the small ones do. Read the towing section of your owner's manual carefully before you let yourself fall in love.

Best wishes in your egg hunt!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #12

Michigan
Thank you so much...I have looked into an Eggcamper and would love to have one but can't afford a new one and used ones are hard to find. I would also like to support MI businesses
Old 09-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Don't lose heart! EggCampers do come on the market, just not often. If you are quite set on one, it wouldn't hurt to post in the "Wanted" section now and again in the early spring.
Meantime, keep your options open. Follow up on other possibilities that come to market in your area. You never know what will turn up.
Just make sure you know what your vehicle can safely tow before you fall in love!
Old 09-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #14

Name: Eve
Trailer: 1987 CASITA
California
Have a 13' Casita Egg Trailer 1992 thinking of selling my first love. Bought a Trillium 1980 4500 that is my new baby now. Located in California near Frazier Park. PM me and I'll send you photos and price.