Looking for first Fiberglass RV, family of four - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-31-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: In the market
Washington, D.C.
Looking for first Fiberglass RV, family of four

Hi,
looking for our first trailer to go camping this summer
Oliver, Casita, Scamp, BigFoot, we'll consider all brands that can sleep 4, two adults, two small kids.

We are in Virginia, but will travel to get the right trailer.

Email me if you have one you want to sell.

rudnev@gmail.com

Thank you.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Nick welcome to the forum. FG trailers usually sell pretty fast. Look under the classified section here. Also look in Craigslist. If you find one you like get a deposit on it fast as they don't last long. Also be careful of scams where you don't have the opertunity to look at it. Some scams will say it can be shipped after payment. Never pay unless you have the choice to see it in person. Good luck with the search.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 AM   #3

Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Nick welcome to the forum. FG trailers usually sell pretty fast. Look under the classified section here. Also look in Craigslist. If you find one you like get a deposit on it fast as they don't last long. Also be careful of scams where you don't have the opertunity to look at it. Some scams will say it can be shipped after payment. Never pay unless you have the choice to see it in person. Good luck with the search.
Yup, I have been watching this forum closely, lots of trailers selling fast
Old 03-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
First Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiev View Post
Hi,
looking for our first trailer to go camping this summer
Oliver, Casita, Scamp, BigFoot, we'll consider all brands that can sleep 4, two adults, two small kids.

We are in Virginia, but will travel to get the right trailer.

Email me if you have one you want to sell.

rudnev@gmail.com

Thank you.
Hi and Welcome to the Group

You will get a lot better & more useful replies if you provide a bit more information. Here's some starters:

1. What will be towing with. Towing capacity is critical and a lot of newer vehicles have surprisingly limited towing capacity.
2. What condition can you accept? Everything from basket case to turn-key is out there.
3. What amenities do you need? Bathroom, a/c, hot water, fixed bed + dinette, etc.
4. Do you have a size preference/limitation? They run from about 12' to 27'
5. What age range can you accept. They have been out there for over 40 years and many of the originals are still in daily use (including my 1973 Hunter)
6. What is your approximate budget?
7. Where in VA are you located and how far can you travel to pick up?

Good luck with your search
Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hi and Welcome to the Group

You will get a lot better & more useful replies if you provide a bit more information. Here's some starters:

1. What will be towing with. Towing capacity is critical and a lot of newer vehicles have surprisingly limited towing capacity.
2. What condition can you accept? Everything from basket case to turn-key is out there.
3. What amenities do you need? Bathroom, a/c, hot water, fixed bed + dinette, etc.
4. Do you have a size preference/limitation? They run from about 12' to 27'
5. What age range can you accept. They have been out there for over 40 years and many of the originals are still in daily use (including my 1973 Hunter)
6. What is your approximate budget?
7. Where in VA are you located and how far can you travel to pick up?

Good luck with your search

Thanks Bob, let me see here...

1. Thinking about buying Tundra or Tacoma.2.
2. Need something that is ready to go camping
3. King bed or Queen bed and dinnete bed would work
4. I think we are looking at 16+ ft here, considering I need to sleep two adults and two kids.
5. um....I would say 1990s +
6. Condition and size will determine budget really.
7. by IAD airport. I can travel as far as Florida to get the right trailer.

thank you!
Old 03-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #6

California
I think that #3 and #5 are mutually exclusive and I don't know of any FGRV's with King beds. Most have trouble getting a full size bed, much less a Queen. The Tundra and Tacoma are significantly different trucks. Think Big vs. Behemoth...

BTW: I used to live in Sterling and taught at NVCC Loudon.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 AM   #7

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiev View Post
4. I think we are looking at 16+ ft here, considering I need to sleep two adults and two kids.
I just wanted to step in and suggest that a bigger trailer doesn't necessarily give you more sleeping space - that was an argument I have had with my husband, he still thinks that he wants more "space" in a trailer than my 13' scamp, but the bigger trailers don't offer any more sleeping room (you do get more storage and more options with more space). With a 13' trailer, you pretty much get the same dinette bed and bunks that you'd get in a 16' that still only sleeps 4.

There are some exceptions, like Scamp's layout 7 that sleeps 5, but those are kind of scarce in the used market - curiously, it seems like in the RV world, bigger trailer = less occupants. You'd think it would be the other way around, but it's not.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:12 AM   #8

Washington, D.C.
Quote:
I think that #3 and #5 are mutually exclusive and I don't know of any FGRV's with King beds. Most have trouble getting a full size bed, much less a Queen. The Tundra and Tacoma are significantly different trucks. Think Big vs. Behemoth...

BTW: I used to live in Sterling and taught at NVCC Loudon.
Casita has a configuration that has one bed only, and its a king bed.
table folds in, extra cushions form bed
Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #9

Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
I just wanted to step in and suggest that a bigger trailer doesn't necessarily give you more sleeping space - that was an argument I have had with my husband, he still thinks that he wants more "space" in a trailer than my 13' scamp, but the bigger trailers don't offer any more sleeping room (you do get more storage and more options with more space). With a 13' trailer, you pretty much get the same dinette bed and bunks that you'd get in a 16' that still only sleeps 4.

There are some exceptions, like Scamp's layout 7 that sleeps 5, but those are kind of scarce in the used market - curiously, it seems like in the RV world, bigger trailer = less occupants. You'd think it would be the other way around, but it's not.
Agree, but even small Scamps are hard to come by...
Old 03-31-2015, 11:20 AM   #10

California
Jus Gotta Say.... Two adults + two kids all awake in a 16' will have a lot more room than in a 13'. While the beds may be the same size in each, that extra 3' is a big difference in living space.

And... someone wishing for a Queen bed or bigger ain't gonna be happy in a Scamp's rear bed, no matter what the length.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #11

Washington, D.C.
I am interested in FBRV because of the longevety and eventual resale value.
Sleeping arrangement is what I need to figure out.

I can go out and drop 15-20K on a forest river any weekend, but I think many of them are just disposable trailer.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:37 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
A Trillium 4500 has close to a queen bed, (54" wide vs 60" for a queen) and the gaucho bunks. The 5500 had a huge bed in the back, (60" x 84") and front dinette bed, (50" x 72"). While they are kinda rare, two are for sale in Canada at the moment:
Trillium 5500 - 17 ft | travel trailers, campers | St. Albert | Kijiji
Trillium 5500 Fiberglass Trailer | travel trailers, campers | City of Toronto | Kijiji
Old 03-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Jus Gotta Say.... Two adults + two kids all awake in a 16' will have a lot more room than in a 13'. While the beds may be the same size in each, that extra 3' is a big difference in living space.

And... someone wishing for a Queen bed or bigger ain't gonna be happy in a Scamp's rear bed, no matter what the length.
Yep, it is just me and the daughter and dog in our 16 and I am really happy I found it over a 13. There are some folks doing the "T" bed mod in back so that may be an option to keep you down in a trailer with just a "double/full" (really just 44"-45" wide) in back. Parkliner has a Queen in back and a bunk option for the kids. Finding used would be tough, but new they are closer than Florida. Do your research, make up your own mind. We are moving into prime camping season so you will be in the market with everybody else. Be ready to pounce (have cash in hand) when you find what will work for you.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Looking for first Fiberglass RV, family of four

Parkliner with the bunk option has a queen bed plus bunks for two more and a bathroom. Starting 2014, a Scamp 13 Standard can be had with a 54" bed plus bunks for two (but not much else). Scamp 16' side bath models have bunks, but the dinette bed is only 45" wide. David has already mentioned Trillium 4500 models. Casitas are hard to find in bunk configurations. Escape makes some models that might work, but they'll be hard to come by and pricier.

Since you're planning to buy a pickup, have you considered a Scamp 19' 5th wheel? That gives you a big loft bed, a convertible dinette for the kids and a bathroom. I've seen some nice ones at decent prices, since their market is more limited.