Looking for kind ParkLiner owner in RI,MA or CT willing to show unit - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Looking to buy
Rhode Island
Looking for kind ParkLiner owner in RI,MA or CT willing to show unit

Looking for kind ParkLiner owner in RI,MA or CT willing to show unit. We are
Down to buying either a ParkLiner or 16' Scamp in next two weeks. We have arranged a viewing with a Scamp owner, but have not yet found a local PL owner to contact to request . Wold appreciate any assistance you might lend. Thanks & Best regards,
Jack

Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I'm in NJ and have a ParkLiner.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #3

Rhode Island
Thanks

Derek,
Thanks for reaching out to us. NJ is a bit far for us to go. Any issues with your PL that we should know about? We are going to see a 16' Scamp tomorrow & a 17' Casita Saturday to get a feel for each brand. Will be buying one of 3 in next few days. Will be hard for us to choose PL sight unseen, but anything you can tell us will be helpful.

Best regards,
Jack & Diane

"There is only one success... Living your life as you choose." Christopher Morley
Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #4

New Jersey
Registry
Jack I do agree about buying something sight unseen but I think you won't go wrong with a ParkLiner.

Now we all have opinions but I honestly don't care for the rivets that scamp uses to hold the cabinetry in place with... I just see it as a job that I will have to figure out how to do alone. I think Casita is higher quality look to it....but the headroom on the 16 us like 5'10 and I am 5'11 and I wouldn't buy anything I can't stand upright in...I have a disc fused in my back. The Casita 17's are nice almost bought one but the tongue weight would have beenan issue with my Rav4.... now I have a Nissan frontier so it wouldn't be a problem

The ParkLiner issues with batteries not being vented, tire rub etc have been worked out. My ParkLiner does what I need it to do...I think of it as my second home. I know its a trek but they are worth considering . Let me know I will be at my moms on Sunday where I store it.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #5

Rhode Island
Thanks again, Deryk

Deryk,

Truly appreciate your candid assessment of the three. My wife said, "He sounds like a careful buyer who checks things out like you." I am also 5'11" and would not buy a unit I couldn't stand up in. How far down in NJ are you?
Do you happen to know which type of joint each uses to join the 2 halves of the trailer body- "shoebox", "top hat" or other? Are joints silicone caulked & pop-riveted or joined with secondary fiberglass mat/cloth bond? Thanks.

Best regards,
Jack

"There is only one success... Living your life as you choose." Christopher Morley
Old 02-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #6

New Jersey
Registry
Jack,

I believe the ParkLiner is epoxied together, no rivets...same way they added in the overhead cabinetry.

Its in Edison NJ, central near the coast.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Jack,

I have an Escape 5.0 and live in RI. I know it's not what you're looking for and I don't want to muddy the water, but if interested I can show you the Escape.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #8

Rhode Island
Thanks Guys

Deryk,
Thanks for info on PL method of joining halves. From your reply, are you saying Scamp & Casita use a pop-riveted top hat joint where the top flange is set upon the bottom flange and pop-riveted with some kind of sealant in between?

Tim,
Thanks for your kind offer. Although we were considering an Escape, along with PL, Scamp & Casita we took them out of the running as they indicated on their website that their schedule was booked up for 2014 delivery.

Best regards to you both.
Jack
Old 02-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jack,

I like any of the 3 you are considering, Scamp, Casita and Parkliner and personally would be happy in any of them.

We choose the Scamp 16 over the Casita 16 because the of the Casita 16's 5'10" headroom. We did not buy a Casita 17 because it was too heavy for our tow vehicle. We would probably not have purchased a Parkliner for the same reason, though not as heavy as a Casita 17 I expect a Scamp 16 is lighter than a Parkliner when road loaded.

I believe the two halves of the Scamp are fiberglass bonded on the inside. Ours is 22 years old and seems to have never leaked at the seam. Though we have only owned it for four years, as far as I can tell all the rivets in our trailer are original.

The reality is fiberglass trailers have 'genes' that result in long trailer lives and continued good value. Heck my son has a 1977 Scamp 13.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner