Looking for lightweight camper in Buffalo - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
The sink is in it already, look at picture with refrige in it. Rick may have a porta potty that he will let go with it. It's in your budget, will pull with your crv and you will always get your money back when Rick buys it back.
Send him a private message. The bed made up is 6'x6' or twin left down.
Good luck

Old 02-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Here is a link to what a Hunter Compact-II (upscale version of the Compact Jr.) with a complete interior and a bathroom looks like. It works well for two + a small pet.
Robert Miller's (advocateone) Library | Photobucket

In the library are also pics of a 13' Lil Bigfoot that might be of interest to know about.

FWIW: Be very careful about buying a travel trailer in Canada. Those over 25 years old are an easy import, those newer can be a real PITA to import. Check out importing first if you are going up that way to a meet or to buy.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
But, there are some really good deals on trailers that are over 25 years old.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
FWIW: Be very careful about buying a travel trailer in Canada. Those over 25 years old are an easy import, those newer can be a real PITA to import. Check out importing first if you are going up that way to a meet or to buy.
You would have no problems exporting any Escape from Canada to the US or any of the newer Bigfoots. The manufactures will walk you through it. Some of the older Bigfoots less then 25 years old are missing the required stickers needed which is were the PITA comes in - but it can be done and has been done as they are compliant. As said a 25 year old trailer is real easy and cheap (no paperwork fees) to export from Canada. Note you do not pay duty on any of the trailers built in Canada regardless of age.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #19

California
Ya But..... The beautiful Bigfoots (BigFeet?) between 5 and 25 y.o., as I currently understand it, are not supported by the current BigFoot builders as far as certification is concerned. Getting one certified through an importer only adds to the cost, something not helpful to the o.p. of the thread. And yes, the same kind of problems can exist in both directions

Bottom Line: One needs to be sure of what they are doing before any $$$ changes hands, and especially before attempting to bring anything back across the border.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:25 AM   #20

Name: Tera
Trailer: Shopping!
New York
Yes, JELL-O for sure!
Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Ya But..... The beautiful Bigfoots (BigFeet?) between 5 and 25 y.o., as I currently understand it, are not supported by the current BigFoot builders as far as certification is concerned. Getting one certified through an importer only adds to the cost,

Your correct as I mentioned if not built by current builders it is a bit more complicated - but only in so far as you will not get a letter of compliance from the current builders but as stated that does not mean by a long shot the trailer is not compliant (assuming the previous owners haven't really messed with it) and can not be imported and one does not need an importer to do it either. One just needs to do their own homework as to what additional paperwork and possible inspection may be required. May cost you a few hundred more in inspections etc than a 25 year old trailer cost to import but if its the right trailer for the right price its worth investigating further.

I would suggest those wishing to do an import get there info directly from customs rather than from sites such as this as there seems to be a lot of miss info out there in regards to how hard it really is to do.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #22

California
Good Post Carol, but how does one get a trailer inspected for compliance in Canada and who does the inspections.... an oft asked, but still unanswered question. I've heard of importer costs of up to $1200.

I too want to bring a 17' Bigfoot into the US.....
Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
You can start here!

Permanently importing a Trailer into the US.

Secondly call the US Border and talk directly with the staff as to what they actually will ask for and want to see - don't call an inland border crossing as they don't actually do to many imports if any & have been known to hand out info that is not actually how it happens - especially when it comes to travel trailers ;-). Call a major crossing - such as the Washington State Blaine crossing. Check the internet for companies that do RV DOT inspections right near those borders.

As I said it often sounds way more complicated than what it really is and yes I can see a Customs broker charging silly amounts of money to do it *all* for you ;-) You may need one to help you with the bond should the trailer require one while it goes to inspection but I can't see that costing $1300 - yes the bond may depending on the cost of the trailer but its a bond and you will get it that money back once the trailer is cleared.

As said earlier it is possible that some of the Bigfoots already have all the decals needed even some of the ones more than 5 year old.

Just do your homework and ask lots of questions of those you talk to who are actually knowledgeable in regards to having done it. A good place to start would be to talk with a Registered Importer close to the border you plan to cross at. A list from Dec 2011 of Registered Importers can be found here.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #24

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
I too want to bring a 17' Bigfoot into the US.....
Raya had made a number a good posts on importing a trailer into the USA a few years back. Worthy of a search and read.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We tow our 13' Uhaul with a 2003 CRV. The trailer title says 1250lb, but I'm sure it's at least 1500 loaded. We'll be out your way late April at Fairhaven State Park for a long weekend. We use a 12 X 12 screen room with enclosure flaps for extra living space.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #26

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We tow our 13' Uhaul with a 2003 CRV. The trailer title says 1250lb, but I'm sure it's at least 1500 loaded. We'll be out your way late April at Fairhaven State Park for a long weekend. We use a 12 X 12 screen room with enclosure flaps for extra living space.
Hi Mary and Bob,

What brand of enclosure do you have? I had mentioned to the OP that an add-a-room would be useful and have been looking for one myself.

Rick
Old 02-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #27

New York
Is anyone friends with Rick? I wonder if the tiki hut is still for sale. Also, there are a lot of ads on here that are already sold. I'm not very good at navigating this website. Please keep me posted if you notice anything else in or near Buffalo. I decided i could add a porto potty, and I plan to buy a camping stove, too. So, that should expand my options a lot i think! Love, Tera.
P.s. I tried to make a profile picture, but it said they were too big.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:17 AM   #28

New York
I decided I could go without a bathroom and add a Porto potty instead. How can I edit my original want ad to exclude "with bathroom". Please let me know if anyone sees anything near Buffalo! Love, Tera.

Tags
light, weight