Looking for lightweight camper in Buffalo - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #1

Name: Tera
Trailer: Shopping!
New York
Red face Looking for lightweight camper in Buffalo

Hi everyone! What a great website! Hope you can help me. My boss keeps giving me paid vacation, but no raise. I have a 5 year old daughter and we love camping. Also, there's some little trips we'd like to do. Crayola Factory first! So I figure a camper will be a good investment, and as she gets older, we can go farther and farther. I drive a 2002 Honda CRV, towing capacity 1500#, so I need something light. and we definitely need a bathroom. It seems a lot of the campers for sale here are really huge RV's. Is it that they're just not listed or they're not popular here? There also seems to be so many kinds, I thought you could help me figure out what to ask for before I go in person. Or if someone sees something here please let me know. I want to buy an old one and was hoping to keep it under $5000. It can be ugly and I don't mind fixing it up, but I would like everything to be in working order, as I don't know how I would have it serviced. I'm attracted to the round sort of retro ones, but I'm not picky. is this possible? How long will it take to find one? And can we bring our cat?

Moderators note: The title of this thread has been edited (at OP's request) to remove "with bathroom."

Old 02-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Tera.
Glad you have joined us. I'm sure
there will be several that can give some
decent advice.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #3

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Hi Tera,

At the towing limit of the CRV, it sounds like a used Scamp 13 ft would work. It can be had with a bathroom, but you will be limited to just one bed for two. That should work fine in the interim, but not long term. Luckily used FG trailers are a hot commodity with good re-sale value.

What might also be considering is adding an add-a-room tent. It gives you more shelter and a camping cot could be set up to essentially give you a second bedroom.

Rick
Old 02-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Good day Tera... We had similar desires when we started looking for a trailer. A light weight with a toilet. We looked at many glass eggs before ending up with our current unit.

There are a number of good towing reports on the CRV's. They seem to be well up to the task when used as a TV. Best of luck with your trailer search.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Tera,
Welcome to FGRV, There will also be a fiberglass rally held in New York this summer-see http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ble-61524.html
if you haven't a camper by then you may want to check out some of the models and if you do find one, plan on attending. PS- Don't forget the Jello Capitol, Le Roy, NY.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Welcome to the group.....

Best idea is certainly to try to look a several before buying. The 13' Scamp is a good match for the 2002 CRV, but be careful, those with a front bathroom are very difficult to keep under 1500 lbs.

Your price range is a bit tight for a mechanically sound unit, esp one that's a bit older. Things to be aware of are; axle sag (a biggie after about 15 years) tire age (anything over 6 y.o. needs to be replaced) appliance operation, a new 2 or 3 way refrigerator is over $1000 (and no, old ones can't be "recharged" as many sellers will claim) and, in your geographic area, concerns about frame rust from road salt over the years.

If you find a good one in your price range, grab it, it won't be there tomorrow....

Good Luck.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

New York
Wink

Thanks everyone for your help! Keep it coming!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #8

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Tera,

The bathroom will be a limiting factor in your search. Have you considered a porta potty either inside or outside in its own little tent? They make them for just that purpose.

Although not the round type, Rick has his Compact Jr. listed for sale. He is very close to you. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ale-62212.html

Or in mid July, you can cross the border and see all types here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ock-62665.html
There are usually a few for sale at the meet.

Early trailer weights were typically understated on the stickers (empty trailers with no options). Some sellers play on this in their ads - don't believe them. You will get a better idea of weights of trailers loaded for camping in this thread: Trailer Weights in the Real World

How long it takes to find one depends on you. Your wish list. How far you are willing to travel. Your standards and your budget. I'd say 3-6 months might be average. This site may help you find one: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale

Download a copy of the buyers check list in the document center. Become familiar with it and use it. You will be better prepared to make a purchase without surprises.

And yes, many bring pets. Crates and leashes are for their protection and usually required.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
in your geographic area, concerns about frame rust from road salt over the years.
Most trailers up here are tucked away for the winter and rarely experience road salt. One should check the frame for rust, salt or not.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #10

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Rick. 13 Scamp.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #11

New York
The tiki hut is very cute. Is there a sink missing? Can the kitchen be put back in? Can I put a Porto potty inside?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Tera, If you are OK with a porta potty, then a 13' Trillium would be within your towing capacity. You would still have to pack light though.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #13

Ontario
Tera it would be best to contact Rick directly with specific questions.
Fiberglass RV - View Profile: Rick Brown

There are more pictures in his registry, one shows a sink.
Rick Brown's Trailer :: Tiki Hut
Old 02-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #14

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome Tera! You might find the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World helpful in deciding what trailer would work with your low tow limit of 1500lbs. Most of the trailers on the list were weighed at arrival at a large fiberglass trailer meet packed for camping - it was a full service campground so most arrived with little to no water in their tanks - or I should say those I know who were weighed had no water. As you can see most of the 13' Scamp standards came in at over 1500lbs. A Hunter may be better suited to your towing capacity.

Another thing to watch for is many of the 13' trailers don't have brakes on them so thats something to keep an eye out for when shopping for a trailer.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight