looking for small, light weight camper to pull with my VW Westy. - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #1

Name: jim
Trailer: on the hunt
Georgia
looking for small, light weight camper to pull with my VW Westy.

I have a 1978 VW Westfalia. Id like to see if anybody has a small fiberglass camper for sale. Would really like to find one that needs work. Also I'm in western Ga. so I'd like it to be close to me.
Thanks!!!!!

Old 09-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #2

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
You can identify the capacity of your Westfalia, to tow?

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #3

Name: Kyle
Trailer: Trillium
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucajim View Post
I have a 1978 VW Westfalia. Id like to see if anybody has a small fiberglass camper for sale. Would really like to find one that needs work. Also I'm in western Ga. so I'd like it to be close to me.
Thanks!!!!!
I have a small camper listed on Craigslist Atlanta as 1972 Hunter Compact vintage. I am also in West Ga just north of Columbus.
Kyle @ 706-587-8184
Old 09-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

Name: Herschel
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Thanks!!!!!
I have a 13 trail mite 1972 fixuper
Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
[QUOTE=Bucajim;609382]I have a 1978 VW Westfalia. Id like to see if anybody has a small fiberglass camper for sale. Would really like to find one that needs work. Also I'm in western Ga. so I'd like it to be close to me.
Thanks!!!!!
[/QUOTE

----------------------------- -------------------------------

Bucajim, You asked about a light trailer, I hope you don't mind if I comment on the VW Westy. I owned VW campers when they were pretty new , And occasionally towed little trailers. But as a Scamp owner using Toyota Tacomas and a Ford Ranger as a Tow Vehicle, I don't think a 30+ year old VW is really suitable for towing, unless for very local flat terrain trips to a local camp area. I did two Calif to Maine VW trips that were fun and exciting, but I can't imagine doing any part of the trips (11,000 miles each) pulling a trailer. The towing capacity and hitch capacity just are not there. Now, a vintage VW Camper and vintage trailer might be fun for a short dash to VW Club events, vintage shows, and local camping. It could be done, but for reliability and safety, should it ? Just sayin' . . . . David in Fresno and Sonora
Old 09-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

Georgia
according to the manual that came with my westy, and from the Samba website, my VW can tow up to 1340lbs. I wouldn't tow something that heavy, so that is why I posted what I'm looking for!
Old 09-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #7

Georgia
thanks Dave for the message. I just want something to take around here. We have some property in Alabama about 45 mins from where I live. Plus there are a lot of campgrounds we'd like to explore.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #8

Georgia
hey kyle,
just took a look at your camper, very nice, but a little out of my price range. thanks for the message.
jim
Old 09-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Quote:
according to the manual that came with my westy, and from the Samba website, my VW can tow up to 1340lbs. I wouldn't tow something that heavy, so that is why I posted what I'm looking for!
---------------------------------------------------------

It may say that , but from experience I would say , " it didn't tell you how far ! " And any 1100 or 1200 trailer usually ends up closer to 1500 lbs. ( So Scamps and most fb trailers are out .) But good luck, it probably can be done, just take it easy. I would probably do it too, ( I towed my Austin Healey with Chevy V8 with my VW camper.)
Old 10-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #10

Name: Grant
Trailer: Bonair
Alberta
Quote:
Thanks!!!!!
I owned a 74 VW Westfalia for 17 years and can tell you that you would be doing a disservice to your powertrain by towing anything more than a utility trailer. They were not designed to be a tow vehicle, certainly not for a travel trailer of any kind. One of the replys to your original post described it best when they said "any 1100 or 1200 trailer usually ends up at 1500". Should you go forward consider any ascents on your journey that you may have to complete. Down hill is the easy part, aside from your brakes overheating.

Tags
light, weight