Looking in Colorado - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 Layout 7
Colorado
Registry
Looking in Colorado

Hi All,
We are in Colorado and looking for a 13 foot scamp, burro or boler with the front bunk options. We prefer to have the stove and sink and at least an icebox and have it be in ready to camp condition. Can travel some distance to pick one up and would meet a seller half way and pay for gas/travel if the price was right. Thank you!
Emily

Old 05-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hi Emily and Welcome to the group
Why don't you give us some more information and I am sure that more directed help will be forthcoming.

You mentioned that you want "Ready to camp. Do you have any concerns about age, the 13' Egg has been around for about 40 years and may of them are still on the road (including my 1973 Hunter) but condition is everything in FGRV's

What will you be towing with? Some of even the 13'er's get a bit heavy for some vehicles. Tell us the make, model, year and engine. Those all can make a difference.

What is your approximate budget: Camping ready FGRV's typically start about $3500 (sometimes) and go up to new prices depending on options and condition.

Let us know and good luck with your search

Old 05-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #3

Colorado
Registry
Hi Bob. Thank you for the welcome. Those are great pieces of information to add! We have a 2011 Toyota Highlander that we will be towing with. It has the tow package on it and will tow up to 5000 pounds, so a little egg should be no trouble at all

We are fine with an older egg, in fact, I really like the vintage feel of something from the 70's. I guess by ready to camp, I mean road safe- newer tires, bearings, no saggy axle and working exterior brake/tail lights. Propane, water and interior lights and upholstery can be worked on if needed, but the floor shouldn't be soft or need replacing. Don't really want a project camper, but small fixes and updates are ok.
(We had a vintage camper that needed so much work we ended up selling it. It was overwhelming. We just want to be able to get on the road!)

We would like to stick around $5000 or less, depending on the condition and how far we have to go to get it. That's not to say that we wouldn't consider paying more for something in wonderful condition or newer.

Hopefully that's a better amount of information
Old 05-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Looking in Colorado

It's prime season, so $5000 and camp-ready will not be easy. You can keep looking here and on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. But your best bet is to go directly to Craigslist within a reasonable search radius, because the best deals disappear in hours, not days. Beware of scams, though. The popularity of these little trailers has made them a target for crooks.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Old 05-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It's prime season, so $5000 and camp-ready will not be easy. You can keep looking here and on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com. But your best bet is to go directly to Craigslist within a reasonable search radius, because the best deals disappear in hours, not days. Beware of scams, though. The popularity of these little trailers has made them a target for crooks.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Thank you for all of your input, Jon! I have craigslist, the fiberglassrv sale site and this one all open in browsers and just keep hitting refresh all day I keep telling my husband we have the tent, so one more season in it won't kill us! But the hope is to find a little egg of our own for this summer! My dad, who is in eastern Nebraska, is also looking for us - keeping an eye out for something within about six hours radius from them. That expands our options a bit, so hopefully we'll be able to find something!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

Colorado
Registry
We bought a 1982 Scamp today!!!! It's in Hatch, New Mexico at a dealer. We will be in Albuquerque for a gymnastics competition soon, so we put down an deposit and they agreed to hold it for us until we can get down there to pick it up. Very excited!! Thanks for all your input! Can't wait to see it in person and make it our own little egg!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, Emily!

I think I saw the one you're talking about. Looked to be a very clean, unmolested unit with the old-style jalousie windows.

Happy camping!
Old 05-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #8

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Congratulations, Emily!

I think I saw the one you're talking about. Looked to be a very clean, unmolested unit with the old-style jalousie windows.

Happy camping!
You may have! It was on the fiberglassrv for sale website! He gave us a great deal on it, less than it was advertised for, so right in the price range we waned to spend! He went and looked at it for me, and made notes about any little issues or things he saw and it sounds like it is a good, solid camper. With that age, there are a few things and I'm sure we'll find others that he missed, but I LOVE the windows on it (one of the things I wanted) and that it is just an ice box, not a fridge, which was another thing I wanted. Thank you for all your well wishes!
Old 05-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #9

Trailer: (fiberglass
'98 Scamp, great condition Ready to Roll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Hi All,
We are in Colorado and looking for a 13 foot scamp, burro or boler with the front bunk options. We prefer to have the stove and sink and at least an icebox and have it be in ready to camp condition. Can travel some distance to pick one up and would meet a seller half way and pay for gas/travel if the price was right. Thank you!
Emily
Hi Emily, please see my ad, Barbara J., '98 Scamp. I'm in Reno; I can provide pictures if you give me your email, I'm really having problems downloading etc. and I'm also Really bad at computer stuff.......
Old 05-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
See Post #6
Old 05-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #11

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara J. View Post
Hi Emily, please see my ad, Barbara J., '98 Scamp. I'm in Reno; I can provide pictures if you give me your email, I'm really having problems downloading etc. and I'm also Really bad at computer stuff.......
Hi Barbra, Thank you for thinking of us. We found one in New Mexico.
Emily
Old 05-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #12

Trailer: (fiberglass
98 Scamp, ready to roll Reno

Quote:
Originally Posted by emij View Post
Hi All,
Emily
Hi, did you see my ad? My Scamp is definitely ready to go. I'm having trouble navigating this site, if you respond to my ad it seems to be easier. If you send me your email I can reply with pictures.

Barbara J., Reno