Looking in NE Indiana - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Name: Jeremy
Trailer: In the market
Looking in NE Indiana

Hello, All. Working on convincing the wife to let me buy a camper. Have considered a popup, but I like the ideas of a fiberglass trailer. I would need something for two adults and a child. I drive a Pontiac Torrent GXP, which shows a towing capacity of 3500. Open to any and all ideas.... thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

jgoldwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Most 13' fiberglass trailers should meet your weight specs. The key factor would be if you need the indoor dinette table. In a 13 footer with no bathroom facilities, there is a dinette that can be made into a single bed that fits almost everyone. The rear table area makes up into a double bed for two folks. Your choice would be if you want to leave the beds made up and just eat outside (or in a screenhouse outside), or take the beds down each day to have access to the tables. Most folks just leave the beds set up and use the picnic table or similar. Not having a bathroom is not a problem for many families, since they may camp in a park with facilities anyway. Your choices are many: Scamp, Casita, Boler, UHaul, Trillium, etc. Be sure to check, too, whether your towing capacity is exclusive or inclusive of the weight in the car. For example, two adults and a child might weigh 400+ pounds together plus the weight of luggage, pets, etc. Depending on the vehicle, that can reduce your towing capacity but I still think a 13' model should work.

Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Name: Jeremy
Trailer: In the market
Thank you for the reply, Kevin. I agree ... 13' should be enough. Now I just need to see what's available around me!
jgoldwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Welcome to FGRV Jeremy,

There may be a rally nearby where you can see different trailers to better understand what you might want. Here is a link to the 2014 rally map
Download a copy of the buyers checklist from the document center, study it then use it when shopping. You will find it helpful.

And this is useful too: Trailer Weights in the Real World
Roy in TO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
When you add in a growing child, a 13'er is a minimum and forget any idea of getting one with a bathroom, there just isn't any more space for the little one. What you wife will quickly point out is that the floor space in a 13' is a lot less (less than 1/2) of what is in a typical tent pop-up.

There just aren't that many out there and, if you make a selection based on what you can find in a limited geographical area, you may get something that doesn't work well for you.

Many looking for the right FGRV have had to have a fairly large search area to consider. Travelling 500 miles for the right rig isn't unusual and longer distances
aren't unheard of.

It's a good suggestion to try to look at many before buying, attending a gathering is about the best way to accomplish that.

If you give us some hints about your budget, as well as how much work (if any) you want to do, you might get more help along the way.

Also, following <<<fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>>>, at least twice a day, is also a good idea.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #6
Name: Gary
Trailer: Burro
Burro for Sale, Des Moines Iowa

I have my 13 foot Burro for sale on Craigslist Des Moines Iowa. If interested you can go to Craigslist Des Moines Iowa and look at the RV/camping and search for Burro. Information and pictures are in the ad, as well as contact info. Good luck on your search. It was listed on March 3rd.
Gary Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13 foot
I have a 13 foot scamp for sale, it's a 1993 with AC in the side,TV ,stereo ,DVD player stove refrigerator , microwave and memory foam mattress. With a couch turns into bunk bed. Put tires and spindles on two years also new window seals in last year . If you're interested please email me at ldulau@gmail.com

Ldulau is offline   Reply With Quote