Looking in WA State light weight trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thumbs up

Problem #1 is, I need very light trailer that I can pull with my Toyota Camry. Is that something I can do? I like the Burro. I am not sure of the small fiberglass trailers, which one is the lightest.

Problem #2 is, finding one I can afford in this area. Most of the ones I see posted for sale are on the East Coast.

Problem #3 is, I need this soon!

Old 07-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #2

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Karen Lee, and

Can you tell us what the towing capacity of your Camry is? It should be listed in the owner's manual. Also check out what it says for trailers with and without brakes. And whether you need to subtract the weight of passenger(s)/cargo in your car.

If your limit is 1500# you can probably squeak by as long as you are very careful about what you bring along - and brakes would be a good idea; if it is 1000# there really aren't any "normal" eggs that would work (maybe a teardrop).

(I had an older Camry years ago, and I think the capacity was 2000#, but I'm sure they vary by year and model.)

The next most important thing is to know what any individual trailer *actually* weighs. Many sellers (and even builders) say that a 13-er is "900 lbs" or "light enough to tow with any car," but actual scales have shown that it's a rare trailer that is under 1200# and many weigh more. (1500# to 2000# loaded is not unheard of for a 13-footer). Granted, a few do weigh 1095# or the like, but obviously even those would not work unless your capacity was 1500# or so, since you need to add at least some gear, a spare tire, etc.

So, if you have at least a 1500# tow capacity, I think you will be able to find an egg, as long as you stay with one of the lighter ones. In general, I would say to look towards the earlier Boler/Scamps, the Compact/family, original Trillium 1300, and Burro. Trailers with bathrooms are going to weigh more, in general (most of them 13-ers have Porta pottis instead).

The Casitas, Bigfoots, some newer Scamps, and the U-hauls are going to be a bit heavier - but again, it really really depends on the individual trailer. It's critical to get them weighed, pre-purchase, or view a weight slip from a scale that the PO has. Don't go by factory specs or owner claims unless they are verified (not that everyone is trying to deceive you, but many people just don't realize, or figure factory weight is correct).

Happy shopping, and if you let us know about your Camry's tow capacity we will know where to start in perhaps pointing you to some likely candidates.

Raya

Old 07-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #3

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Karen- as Raya said most 13 footers push 2000#. To go less, one has to have a bare bones one. Both our 13 ft Scamp and Compact JR are bare bones. (no battery, water tank removed, no 110 volt accessories, no air, etc) Both are right at 1600# loaded for the road. I wonder what your tow capacity is also.
(on a side note, I went to school with a Karen Lee years ago in Port Orchard). Larry
Old 07-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #4

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Check here each day
http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=scamp
Old 07-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #5

Thank you for all the excellent information. My first consideration was a teardrop. Maybe that should be my break in trailer but even some of those are as heavy as a Scamp it is hard to find a simple, nice tear drop without all the frills.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #6

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Karen-- we would be willing to sell our Compact JR. I rebuilt it 2 years ago. Here is a link to the rebuild. Larry

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=28776
Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Burro
Karen, I have a Burro that I will be selling. I have made some renovations that has reduced the weight. The trailer is located 40 miles north of Portland. Jason.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #8

Ok, How would I get to see some photos and what price are you talking about? I checked my towing weight and I can tow 1,000 lbs plus. What did you do to reduce the weight?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #9

Not really interested in the Compact Jr. pop up style.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #10

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Karen Lee,

When you say you can tow "1,000# plus," what does the "plus" mean?

If the Camry is really rated to tow 1,000#, then there is really no egg you can safely tow. I say that because we have been through all the options when other members had vehicles with that capacity.

Even if you miraculously found an egg that weighed 950#, there's really no way to not bring 50# worth of stuff camping. Also, many smaller vehicles require that you subtract some or all of the two vehicle's load (people or cargo) from the towing capacity.

On the other hand, maybe the "plus" part gives you some leeway; I'm just not familiar with that that would stand for.

Raya
Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Quote:
Karen Lee,

When you say you can tow "1,000# plus," what does the "plus" mean?

If the Camry is really rated to tow 1,000#, then there is really no egg you can safely tow. I say that because we have been through all the options when other members had vehicles with that capacity.

Even if you miraculously found an egg that weighed 950#, there's really no way to not bring 50# worth of stuff camping. Also, many smaller vehicles require that you subtract some or all of the two vehicle's load (people or cargo) from the towing capacity.

On the other hand, maybe the "plus" part gives you some leeway; I'm just not familiar with that that would stand for.

Raya
Raya,
You are right, you really can't even find a small tent trailer to pull legally and safely with a 1,000 pound tow limit. I wish more people understood how unsafe this is.
Deb

Tags
weighing, weight