Looking to check out a 13' before we buy! - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market for a 13'
Looking to check out a 13' before we buy!

We are new to the forum, like the idea of sharing ideas and experiences with others. We live in Westminster, Co. Suburb north of Denver. Been tent camping for years, but looking to upgrade. Interested in a Scamp or Casita, but we haven't had much luck in being able to look at any before we decide what to buy. Anybody close to Denver willing to let us have a look, if not too much trouble?

Purcellmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Have you called the manufacturers? Both can give you contacts in your area that would be willing to show their trailers.

WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Buying a used trailer

We bought our old Trillium a few years ago and since you are looking at similar, I hope our experience might be useful. We didn't pay a lot for our trailer, and so were not too surprised when some of its claimed condition proved untrue. And I've enjoyed fixing it up. But if I were buying again, I'd do this:

Buy from a reputable dealer or,
If buying privately, insist on having the trailer safety checked by a licensed gas and electrical technician before buying.
Pay special attention to the appliances. We've removed both our furnace and our fridge, both because they had become unsafe and because even if they could be repaired, needed to be modified to meet today's standards (propane fridge ventilation especially).
Check for floor rot, especially around any water tanks or in likely locations like under windows where chronic leaks are possible. We were fortunately fine, but it was only by luck.
Check out the water systems as well as any fresh, grey, or black water systems.
Have your tech assess the frame and the bolts that hold the body to the frame or do it yourself.
Check for leaks around the windows. These can be fixed but may require extensive rebuilding of the supporting window frames.

That doesn't mean that you should not buy a trailer with some of the above deficiencies. I enjoy working with tools and so have loved fixing up our old egg. But assess the condition as well as your own patience and resources before you buy but if you talk price!
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
There's a bunch of 13' all-molded-towable brands out there... many are orphans, no longer manufactured.

I like to tell folks to check out the home page: The Fiberglass RV Community, most of those brands are orphans. BUT, if you see one of those for sale... Craigslist? at least you'd know if might be something you want to check out.

AND, always.. always.. always download, print out and take with you the Buyer's Checklist. The list will remind you of items to check.

Best of luck!
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:48 AM   #5
Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
I had been looking for over a year and nearly bought a 13 ft Uhaul when I attended my first egg rally. Thank God I went. I did not luke the 13s. In all the photos I had seen, they looked bigger than they are e.g. the closet / shelves next to the door looked 2 feet wide in pics and in fact most were 12-14 inches or so. Not wide enough to set a portopotty in the bottom, have a microwave on a shelf or hang a TV on it, for example. I stepped foot in a Casita 16 and knew that was the smallest I could enjoy.
Indiana Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
I have one in northern Colorado; it's the bunk beds version. But, it's. 1979 with no functional top bunk/couch back yet.

Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote