Looking to purchase 13' camper! - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #1

Name: Bailey
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Exclamation Looking to purchase 13' camper!

My boyfriend and I are heading west and want to leave ASAP. We are open to Scamps, Casitas, Burros, Uhauls, Eggcampers, the works. We aren't interested in anything with a bathroom. Our price range is flexible but we hope to spend ~$5,000. The lighter weight the better as we intend to tow it with a 2001 Honda Accord. If we can't find light enough we will buy a new vehicle. A camper close to home (Northern Virginia) is preferable but we are willing to travel for it. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Bailey!

Last time I checked, a Honda Accord was only good for 1000 pounds. What does the towing section of your owner's manual say?

The smallest 13' molded fiberglass trailers start at around 1300 pounds loaded and go up from there. The oft-repeated claim of "under 1000 pounds" is based on the listed dry weights of older models (without options, fluids, or any gear, basically an empty shell). Scamp currently lists the dry weight of its 13'er starting at 1250 pounds, and that's still before options, fluids, and gear.

The sticky thread Trailer Weights in the Real World in the General Chat section is a data base of actual, loaded-for-camping weights of various makes and models. That, combined with the information in your owner's manual, is a good place to get started. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet that allows you to sort, filter, and calculate stats.

As you plan, don't forget to budget for towing set-up expenses: tires and bearings on the trailer, hitch and wiring on the vehicle. With a smaller vehicle, you'll probably need brakes on the trailer and a brake controller in the vehicle as well.

Best wishes getting this all sorted out!

Old 10-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
As Jon indicated, you have a tough order to fill because of:

1. Your location. I lived in Springfield, VA for 10 years an don't remember ever seeing an FGRV of any kind, they are kinda scarce out that way.

2. Your Tow Vehicle: A bone stock Hunter (1971-1974) will come in under 1000 lbs by a few lbs empty, but stuff loaded inside will quickly change that. Plus, if you are also moving, you car will be well over maximum weight (GVW) before you add a trailer.

3. Your budget. Unless you can work with a fixer, which means time and $ to get it ready, your budget is a bit low for a ready to tow unit, and almost anything you get in that range will need some work such as new tires, bearing repacking etc.

We don't know what you goals and plans on moving might be, but you do have a challenge ahead of you.
Good Luck Hunting
Old 10-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #4

Name: Bailey
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Thank you so much for your time and information! We have a lot to learn/look into.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: 13 ft. scamp
Michigan
1981 13' scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
My boyfriend and I are heading west and want to leave ASAP. We are open to Scamps, Casitas, Burros, Uhauls, Eggcampers, the works. We aren't interested in anything with a bathroom. Our price range is flexible but we hope to spend ~$5,000. The lighter weight the better as we intend to tow it with a 2001 Honda Accord. If we can't find light enough we will buy a new vehicle. A camper close to home (Northern Virginia) is preferable but we are willing to travel for it. Thanks!
I live in Michigan i have a 1981 scamp 13 ' in great shape I just had scamp put in new axle to raise it , it has new tires and rims , pergo floor , new foam rubber for bed and couch no bunk has stove I never used sink I never used new roof vent with escape I want 6,900 firm
Old 12-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
California
We're putting our scamp on the market. You can see the inside on this forum. Heres the link
2010 13' Remodel - before and after shots
Let me know if at all interested.
Thanks, Jim

Tags
casita