Mfgs of 13-17 foot fiberglass travel trailers? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: Scamp 13 '98
Oregon
Mfgs of 13-17 foot fiberglass travel trailers?

My husband are considering purchasing a new(er) fiberglass travel trailer. Our 1998 13' Scamp is perfect in many many ways. However, different amenities are desired by us, e.g. permanent dinette, larger bed. NO we don't desire a permanent bathroom.

My research to date has identified these manufacturers of fiberglass trailers in the length of trailer we desire (13'-16'): Scamp, Trillium Outback, Casita.

My question, are there other manufacturers we should research/consider that build in our preferred length? (This is why Escape is off the list.)

Thank you for any information you share and happy travels.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
If you could compromise on the bed, it's not all that difficult to have a fixed dinette made in place of the front couch. Ellpea has such a dinette in her Lil'Bigfoot and that Egg is the same size & shape. There are pics of that in one of her threads, search Lil Bigfoot. Otherwise I can almost guarantee that you will be into a 16' or 17' trailer and a lot more money and towing weight.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Surprised Floyd hasn't jumped in... A Scamp 13 deluxe layout A fits the bill perfectly. It has a larger 54" bed and a 2-person dinette in place of the front bunks. Or there is the 16 deluxe layout A- same larger bed and front dinette, plus more storage and a side bathroom.

I'm with Bob- except for the bed you could easily modify the front bunks into a dinette on your current unit and save a pile of money. But I'm also with you on the limitations of that 45" bed!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:36 PM   #4

Oregon
Bob and Jon, thanks for your replies. As a bit of reference, our current 13' Scamp has a bathroom and we do not have the tools or access to a shop to convert a bathroom to a dinette. Sorry if I gave the impression we had a bunk up front or the necessary skills.

We have looked closely at the Scamp 13' with front dinette and will give it another look.

The goal of my question was to determine that I had identified all the companies who manufacturer 13'-16' fiberglass trailers with a permanent dinette.

Again, my thanks for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #5

California
You have the front bathroom Scamp 13' ?, My condolences... LOL
Old 08-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #6

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
You have the front bathroom Scamp 13' ?, My condolences... LOL
Why condolences? Tongue weight? Lack of room? or?
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Might want to reconsider the Escape 17 if you'll have company now and then. Fixed bed AND a rear dinette. At under 2000 lbs (no bathroom model) with a 250 lb tongue weight (dry) and the fantastic exchange rate right now, it's a bargain.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

California
Condolences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Why condolences? Tongue weight? Lack of room? or?
Yes, all of the above... When the bed is made up there is no place to be, unless you sit on the loo... LOL
We had one for a season before selling it and buying the Lil Bigfoot.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Julie, I jumped to a false conclusion, based on your statement that you didn't want a bathroom, that you don't have one now, either. And you're right- even if you could, it wouldn't make sense to tear out a perfectly good bathroom.

I suggested options from your list because, at least among current manufacturers, it is complete to my knowledge (in your size range, anyway). To stretch, there is Parkliner, which recently shut down, so it would have to be a late-model used unit. Their 15' design has a 60" bed, a permanent dinette, and a bath. There's also the new Nest start-up, if your idea of a permanent dinette includes a "breakfast bar" set-up (and you have a generous budget).

It sounds like you already looked at the Scamp deluxe front dinette. Based on your stated requirements, it checks all the boxes, yet I sense it isn't quite what you want. If you could tell us a bit more...
Old 08-13-2015, 08:57 AM   #10

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Nest caravans in Bend, OR and happier camper in California. in Colorado
Little Joe Lightweight Trailer - Compact Camper Trailer for 2 by Weiscraft Trailers

If you call Escape they may make a 15 footer if you ask.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:02 AM   #11

Oregon
Jon,
It is NOT that I don't want the Scamp. Rather I became OCD and wanted to be sure I had identified all possible / reasonable options.

Even though I am not a regular reader of FGRV I read enough about Parkliner in the past 15 months to decide to stay away from that manufacturer. (No, I haven't been researching for 15 months .... only 5 days ...LOL)

Ah yes, the Nest. I have the good fortune to live in Central Oregon. Robert Johans has done excellent upgrade work for me on my current Scamp. I frequently recommend him to people. Unfortunately, my budget doesn't allow me the opportunity to work with him.

I have toyed with the Trillium Outback, but keep going back to Scamp. I am going to call the sales department at Scamp this morning and begin the next step of the research - money!

Again Jon, my thanks for taking the time to answer my question and provide suggestions. Your input confirmed my research was sound for my parameters and I can stop second guessing myself.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #12

Oregon
Ken C,

Thanks for your input. As I noted to Jon the Nest is out of my budget range. I looked at the Little Joe website and determined it was too small. (Am I Goldilocks?)

The Happier Camper, does deserve a more indepth look however. The tip is helpful.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Julie, have you also considered any of the Casita models in standard, not deluxe, form?

A 17' Spirit standard would give you a 54" bed, a permanent dinette, and a front sofa for lounging. I find dinettes uncomfortable for sitting long periods but the front sofa in my Scamp is much nicer. This configuration would give you both. Casita 17s can be pretty heavy, but without the bathroom it'd be lighter.

A 16' Liberty standard would be an even lighter option. You get the huge longways king-sized bed in the back, but you'd have to do the front sofa-to-dinette mod yourself. It's not hard, though it would involve cutting fiberglass on a brand-new trailer. You could do it in such a way that it could be converted back to a sofa easily.

You haven't mentioned whether you have a weight target or limitation based on your intended tow vehicle.

I understand OCD… Monk was one of my favorite shows. I get the guy...
Old 08-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita 17 Ft SD
California
I have a 2006 spirit deluxe Casita 17 ft, we have owned and used it a lot in the last six years, and both my wife and I consider it to be an ideal trailer, Its got everything, we keep the rear dinette as a permanent bed with memory foam mattress, side dinette is always setup as a dinette thugh it can be made into a single bed if desired, and we have a permenant bath to boot, plus the 17 ft trailer fits in just about any campground space of decent size. With the side dinette you have some place to sit and out of the way of your mate if they are cooking, etc. We have tossed around the idea of a larger fiberglass trailer, specifically the Oliver 23 ft, but it would limit where we could camp severely, there are way less spaces in campgrounds it will fit into, especially more remote older campgrounds which tend to have small spaces to start with and few bigger ones.