Mid-atlantic retion--wanted 13' or there abouts f/g camper - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #1

Name: Clamdigger
Trailer: 16 Casita SD 2003
Delaware
Mid-atlantic region--wanted 13' or there abouts f/g camper

Searching for a small fiberglass camper to be used by one individual for camping adventures. I'm not really handy so, please nothing that needs extensive work.

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Welcome to the group C/D/S be sure to ask lots of questions along the way, but first a few answers here may help with your search

1. What will you be towing with? Some FGRV's get a little heavy and the seller that claims "Can be towed with anything is, after all, the seller.
2. What are your creature comfort needs? Some might be: separate bed & Dinette, built in toilet with holding tanks for black & gray water, shower, hot water heater, furnace, air conditioning, ice maker, washer & dryer (lol) etc.
3. Are you age sensitive in buying.? Many FGRV's are over 40 y.o. and still in as new or better condition
4. How far can you travel to look/buy? In your area they are scarce and will get even harder to find as winter gets close.
5. How soon do you want to buy?
6. What is your approximate budget?

Let us all know and help will be forthcoming.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #3

Name: Clamdigger
Trailer: 16 Casita SD 2003
Delaware
For now I will be towing it with a '09 Toyota Tacoma, may have smaller vehicle in future. Would prefer a camper that can be towed with a 4cyl.

Comforts-I've heard the pros and cons on a bathroom. Right now I think I want one with a shower. I'm not sure if I could make an outdoor shower, but I'm open to it. However, I believe I could get by with one that just had a toilet. I'm okay with holding tanks, I understand that they are not too hard to deal with, but perhaps a little holding power with the toilet is not a bad thing.

Would like a heater, ac, hot water, pump on sink okay and three way fridge. Deep cycle battery good and a solar hookup would be the bomb.

Age is not so much an issues as condition. Prefer one that needs little to no work-ready to go. I'm not too handy, but do know some handymen.

I can probably travel at least 300 miles maybe a bit more for the right one.

Want to buy now or spring time.

Approx. budget $5000 +/-

Hope this helps!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
OK.... a 4 cylinder tow vehicle + an FGRV with a bathroom & shower are almost mutually exclusive terms. The 13' Scamp with those options is close to 2000 lbs. going down the road, check your specs carefully before downsizing.

And as I advised the other wannabe buyer in Northern VA, your budget will make it a tough search as there are several others on this site that would grab up such a rig within minutes of it being available.

As examples when purchasing RV's in the past several years:
13' Scamp, called within 30 minutes after the ad appeared, bought 4 hours later, 35 miles away.
13' Bigfoot, Called morning ad appeared, bought within an hour, 8 miles away
13' Hunter, Called within 2 hours of ad appearing, negotiated entire sale on phone, sent deposit with PayPal, picked up 4 days later, 500 miles away.

All of these sellers had a stack of follow-up offers should the sale fall through.

17' BigFoot, First caller and first to view on 2nd day of ad. Seller rejected my offer because he already had 5 more buyers in line to view.

For another 13' Scamp,I was the first caller the day ad appeared, offered seller full price stated I would be there to buy it that afternoon. Seller did not have PayPal so I couldn't send an immediate deposit. Drove 300 miles, seller sold it from under me to a buyer that offered over asking price, 15 minutes before I arrived.

But there have been exceptions, but if you snooze you will looze
Good Luck Hunting