Moving from Canned Ham to Egg - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #1

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
Moving from Canned Ham to Egg

I'm looking for an Egg. I have a '63 canned ham that I have loved but my newer Subaru isn't as happy pulling it as my ancient Volvo station wagon was. My ham is about 1500lbs unloaded but not aerodynamic. Looking in 900-1100lb range.

I can't stand the thought of going to a shudder tent trailer. Been there don't want to go back.

I'm hoping to get a trailer with wider bed to share with my hubby of 29 years, the ham's was only 48" wide and made turning over a synchronized event if he was with me. I can live with less floor space.

Don't need a toilet, shower, or even a water tank. Prefer it be from a non-smoking home but pets are just fine, we have cats and 3 dogs.

We can do an overhaul, he does electrical, plumbing, wheel/chassis stuff. I do paint, sanding, fiberglass, sewing, stuffing 20lbs into a 5lb sack, planning and design.

Have a tight budget but we are willing to travel 700-800 miles from Portland Oregon.

I have been lurking on the site, reading and taking notes, love the pics, storys and the trailer names. Thanks for all the info. Oh and I saw that you all are going to be at Champoeg in April, will definitely come by and check out all the cool trailers and their interesting owners.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #2

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Welcome to the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyce View Post
I'm looking for an Egg. I have a '63 canned ham that I have loved but my newer Subaru isn't as happy pulling it as my ancient Volvo station wagon was. My ham is about 1500lbs unloaded but not aerodynamic. Looking in 900-1100lb range.
Of course, getting an egg is a good idea, but why not get rid of the Subaru and get another Volvo then?

How ancient was it anway? Like any of these?
Attached Thumbnails
122camper-1.jpg   1800es and Teardrop.jpg  

1965PV544Trailer.jpg   P1130637.JPG  

Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I agree, early Volvo's rule. I owned (444, 445, 544, 122S, 1800's & 140/240 series) and raced a number of them until they became luxury cars. Give me a 1967 122S or any 445/210 Wagon or Pick-Up and I will be happy forever.
Amost forgot, I have also driven a P1600, molded fiberglass, convert.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #4

Oregon
Registry
Hi Clive, Howdy Bob

No our Volvos weren't old enough to be cool mostly mid '80 240s. Still have the one we haul the Ham with but she has developed enough minor issues that I don't like to be more than an hour from home and my husband's handy tool box. Didn't like the newer Volvos, and needed a car that I could drive long distances confidently and that Tim (DH) didn't have to spend every weekend with.

But even with the Volvo hauling the Aladdin up hills (ie to the Cascades, the beach, anywhere that wasn't flat from home) is a pedal-to-the-floor, down-shift and go 40-miles-per-hour event.

Add that to a bed that is too narrow for us to share and it's time to find a lighter rig that will fit us better. I'd say 70% of the time I'm staying in the trailer by myself so the bed is no issue but when he and I camp together we take a tent and a queen airbed instead. Which is fine except for all the schlepping of camping stuff that a trailer hauls. Oh ya and the rain and the lumpy ground. Pretty silly when the right trailer will do it all.

I guess a tent trailer would be the best solution but I've had one before. Do-able but all the setting up, tearing down, no place to put clothing or towels. And I'm just vain enough that after having a cute hard side I can't make myself look at an anonymous trailer.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #5

Oregon
Registry
Ok how do I attach pics? I tried twice.
Clicked on pic icon and put flicker url in box but deleted "http:/"

Then tried to edit and added url to "http:/" previewed the changes but nothing showed up. Deleted my edit.

hmmmmm
Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
I'm looking for an Egg. I have a '63 canned ham that I have loved but my newer Subaru isn't as happy pulling it as my ancient Volvo station wagon was. My ham is about 1500lbs unloaded but not aerodynamic.
Looking in 900-1100lb range.
If you mean total weight loaded, I'm not sure which (if any) standy-uppy fiberglass trailer would fit the bill.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
You might be able to get down to that weight figure with something like a Campster, Hunter Compact I or II, or a Compact Jr. Here's what my Compact-II looks like:

advocateone's Library | Photobucket
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #8

Oregon
Registry
Sorry should have been more clear, yes unloaded. I've been looking at the itsy bitsies, 13'
Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #9

Oregon
Registry
Ooooh purty! Love the floor and the sink range shelf. How wide is the bed when made up?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #10

Registry
Don't expect too much in the "aerodynamic gains" department unless you buy a pop-top like the Compact.

If your canned ham is similar in width/height to the typical fiberglass trailer, the aerodynamic gains will be very small, perhaps even nonexistant. The frontal area/shape is most important for aerodynamics, and the curvature of the canned ham roof may well make up for the "squareness" of its frontal edges.

I have a '56 Shasta as well as my '78 Trillium. Though I haven't taken the Shasta out for awhile, as I remember gas mileage when towing either trailer is about the same.

Francesca
Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #11

Oregon
Registry
Oh that's disappointing. Here's a link to the trailer
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/16/215...bdd4c0c5_o.jpg
Typical ham shape square edges and tall, curves forward not back. Makes for lots of room inside but for towing it's a brick.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #12

Registry
Thanks for the pic- your trailer's different from what I was picturing when you said "canned ham"- bigger, too. Sure is a beaut, though! It would look really good behind my 1965 Falcon Station Wagon...

My Shasta's smaller (about Trillium length), and more curved in shape....so I guess we're comparing apples and oranges, really.

Francesca
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #13

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Oh that's disappointing. Here's a link to the trailer
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/16/215...bdd4c0c5_o.jpg
Typical ham shape square edges and tall, curves forward not back. Makes for lots of room inside but for towing it's a brick.
Eggs are typically in the area of 6' wide. your canned ham is probably closer to 8' wide. The round corners and less width should make a difference in you fuel economy. But it likely also depends on you tow vehicle. My travel van, with the fibreglass elevated roof has about the same fuel consumption with, or with out our egg. I attribute this to the trailer being completely in the wind shadow of the van.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #14

Oregon
Registry
Good to know
towing limit on our old Volvo was 3300lb
towing limit on my Subaru (taller than old Volvo) is 2400lbs
weight of canned ham appox 1700-1800 lbs
well within the capacity of both vehicles but gas mileage on Volvo goes from 24mpg to 17mpg and Subaru goes from 28mpg to 14mpg

When towing the utility trailer full of tent, bikes and 18' canoe on top mpg goes to 25 or 26 using the Subaru