New member looking for 13 foot egg - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
New member looking for 13 foot egg

I am looking for a fiberglass travel trailer in 12-13 foot length. I am looking for an experienced rig useable as is but needing work is OK.
Price range is up to $4000 or so. I am having issues with Craigslist fun and games. I live in the San Gabriel valley out side of Los Angeles. willing to travel about 120 miles or so to get the right rig.
trailer must be tow ready, registered and have title.
Thank You for your time.
Steve

Old 11-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Welcome to the group Steve,

First, with your budget, I hope that you are very adept at repairs and restoration. At that price point, unless you are luckier than CA's most recent lottery winner, you won't find much in this geographic/price range.

That said, here in SoCal you need to watch every edition of Craigslist and findanyrv.com at least twice a day and be ready to go look, with deposit in hand, on about 5 minutes notice.

Our last purchases went just that way. In all cases we were the first to appear, about 2 hours after the ad appeard for a Scamp in Downey, 6 hours after for a BigFoot in Riverside and, while other interested buyers were still just talking, we sent a paypal deposit for a Hunter in Livermore on the first day of it's ad.

You might also want to go look at some that might be out of your price range just to get a feel for what they look like and what to look for. As small and simple as they appear, a hasty purchase can quickly turn into a money-pit. Unfortunately the winter price drop, while still there, isn't as great in SoCal as in, say, Duluth, MN.

Next big tip... Know all about how to identify sagging torsion axles, overage tires and LP refrigerators, before you look.

BTW The term "We never used that", is usually sellers code for "It doesn't work".

In the SoCal market; You Snooze, You Looze

Good Luck

Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Name: Jose
Trailer: Scamp 13' 77 (:
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz
I am looking for a fiberglass travel trailer in 12-13 foot length. I am looking for an experienced rig useable as is but needing work is OK.
Price range is up to $4000 or so. I am having issues with Craigslist fun and games. I live in the San Gabriel valley out side of Los Angeles. willing to travel about 120 miles or so to get the right rig.
trailer must be tow ready, registered and have title.
Thank You for your time.
Steve

Maybe you could get one of the casita at www.govliquidation.com and fix it up .
Old 11-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Steve, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here!

Here's one just listed in Rogue River, Oregon... about half-way between Medford and Grants Pass: 13 ft Scamp trailer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
That must have been a good listing, it's gone.....

I think that Steve mentioned something about being "Usable, Tow Ready, registered, and titled" none of which are descriptors for those surplus Casitas.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #6

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The budget sounds about right to me- I'm sure you expect to have to do a few minor things.

My advice is to wait 'til mid December, then post a "Will pay Cash For" ad in the local paper. You'd be surprised what falls out of the woods just before Christmas, when folks are looking for extra cash!

And I disagree with the above assessment of the surplus Casitas- they're relatively new and certainly have Titles and/or whatever other papers required for registration which in the used-trailer game is a very critical thing.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #7

California
Thank you all for your comments. I guess I am aware of what I am up against. I figure it will take me some time to get what I want. I am more concerned on the foundation of the trailer than working on components. clean title is more important to me that a working refrigarator. I would do the surplus thing but I cant really use a 16 footer. I dont have the manuverability in the space available and I am not going to pay for storage and limited access.
Thank you for your comments.
Steve
Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington
Hi Steve,

I am in Seattle, so out of your range. But have a 13ft scamp in better than good condition that I would let go for $4000. Towable ready to wherever, in fact I am using it tomorrow.

Anyway, if you want to make a long drive for a camper I have one. I am probably going to list it on here sometime after ski season.

Mark
Old 11-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #9

Name: Les
Trailer: 96 Scamp 13'
California
87 Scamp

Hi,
I have a 87 13 foot Scamp that I purchased very recently. I have not had time to clean it up and test out the appliances. There are some spider webs in the access around the gas fittings and I wanted to clean this and blow out the lines before trying the refer and stove. My circumstances have changed and it will be a while before I will be able to do anything with the unit.
This was a one owner unit that I was told that it was kept garaged.
It appears to have been cared for. There is a pin or bolt missing on the bottom of the refrig. that it hinges on.
Rear table makes into bed. Front seat can be small table or made into bunks.
I looked for quite a while and paid what I think was a fair price. I have not listed this but would be willing to sell for what I paid ($5500).
I am in the Riverside/Hemet area of California.
I think that this unit is ready to us with just a simple cleaning and fixing the ref rig hinge. Current tags and I have title.
Les
Old 11-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #10

California
Les,
I would like to see your camper.
I have sent you contact information by private E-mail through this site.
Thank You,
Steve
Old 11-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
It's kinda sad you are not in Canada.
Travel trailer for sale - Winnipeg Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Winnipeg Canada.
Trillium camper trailer - Oshawa / Durham Region Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Oshawa / Durham Region Canada.
Trillium travel trailer - Prince George Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Prince George Canada.
1975 Trillium Boilair Camper - Prince Albert Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Prince Albert Canada.

The last one is quite a fixer upper, and the third one is 15'.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #12

California
Thanks to Les C I have the Scamp I ws looking for. it towed well and made it home safely.
Thank you, Less
I thank everyone that has thought of me during my search.
Steve