Newbie needs advice AND a trailer!!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jeanne and Steve's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Posts: 454
Registry
Jeb,
We lived in Alberta and British Columbia for several years, and during that time had a '79 Subaru wagon with 4-Wheel drive. It was perfect for your province's driving conditions, handling very well, and also very comfortable. It made us loyal Subaru fans!

Their All-Wheel Drive Outback station wagon has a 2.5 or 3.0 liter engine, which should have enough power to tow a 13 foot trailer - I know many people tow their 16 footer with it. Towing capacity is listed at 2,000 lbs. It also gets OK gas mileage, handles well, and is one of the safer vehicles around according to crash tests. The new Subarus can be spendy, but it seems like they don't hold their value as well as a Honda or some of the other brands, which means you can probably get a pretty good deal on a used one.

Best wishes in your search, and we look forward to hearing all about your soon-to-be-yours egg when you find it!
Jeanne
__________________

__________________
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:37 PM   #16
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
Jeb, my last trip covering most of the west coast on interstates, I got 20ish.

(I have always wanted to say this and have it be literal...) Your milage may vary.

I travel alone, so I only have "Stuff" for one.
__________________

__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:37 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Doug Mager's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 2,536
Registry
Jeb, I know of a couple from these parts that successfully tow a 17ft Escape (Chilliwack) with a Ford Pinto powered 4 cylinder Model eh roadster. But for more practicality we also are good friends who tow the same sized Escape with a Honda ( the one UP from the CRV)! They come to our Glass Egg meets in Fort Langley too, BTW

We tow our 13ft. Trillium with a 1937 Plymouth 4 door!!
__________________
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #18
Jeb
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 15
Quote:
Jeb, my last trip covering most of the west coast on interstates, I got 20ish.

(I have always wanted to say this and have it be literal...) Your milage may vary.

I travel alone, so I only have "Stuff" for one.
Thanks again, Gina ... your replies have been very helpful ... we're going to give the Element serious consideration ... JEB
__________________
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:11 PM   #19
Jeb
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 15
Quote:
Jeb, I know of a couple from these parts that successfully tow a 17ft Escape (Chilliwack) with a Ford Pinto powered 4 cylinder Model eh roadster. But for more practicality we also are good friends who tow the same sized Escape with a Honda ( the one UP from the CRV)! They come to our Glass Egg meets in Fort Langley too, BTW

We tow our 13ft. Trillium with a 1937 Plymouth 4 door!!
Greetings Doug ... I love old cars too and in a perfect world, I'd be towing our trailler with some fat-fendered vintage Chevvy ... thanks for the interesting info ... contemplation of this whole 'project' is getting more fun by the moment ... JEB
__________________
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:17 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
I guess I'm just now starting to pay attention Jeb So, you are shopping for BOTH a trailer and suitable tug

If it were me (and it's not), I'd get the trailer first You can buy a tug on just about every street corner. But what are you going to do, if you buy the tug and then find the trailer of your dreams (which is A LOT harder to come by) and find out the new tug is not the right one to pull that molded fiberglass wonder? Would you really be happy letting that trailer get by you, not knowing when another perfect one may come along? Especially now since Scamp has burned to the ground, used trailers are going to be even HARDER to come by????

That's a lot to consider
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:16 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 9
I'm just starting to look for a used 13' Scamp -- I have friends who have them & I love them. What do you mean by "now that Scamp has burned to the ground."????

Quote:
I guess I'm just now starting to pay attention Jeb So, you are shopping for BOTH a trailer and suitable tug

If it were me (and it's not), I'd get the trailer first You can buy a tug on just about every street corner. But what are you going to do, if you buy the tug and then find the trailer of your dreams (which is A LOT harder to come by) and find out the new tug is not the right one to pull that molded fiberglass wonder? Would you really be happy letting that trailer get by you, not knowing when another perfect one may come along? Especially now since Scamp has burned to the ground, used trailers are going to be even HARDER to come by????

That's a lot to consider
__________________
Tina W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Jay Herb's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 108
Tina, go to the main forms page and click on the general chat and you will see the title about the Scamp fire. Jay
__________________
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:45 AM   #23
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 9
Thanks. I'll do that.


Quote:
Tina, go to the main forms page and click on the general chat and you will see the title about the Scamp fire. Jay
__________________
Tina W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #24
Jeb
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 15
Quote:
I guess I'm just now starting to pay attention Jeb So, you are shopping for BOTH a trailer and suitable tug

If it were me (and it's not), I'd get the trailer first You can buy a tug on just about every street corner. But what are you going to do, if you buy the tug and then find the trailer of your dreams (which is A LOT harder to come by) and find out the new tug is not the right one to pull that molded fiberglass wonder? Would you really be happy letting that trailer get by you, not knowing when another perfect one may come along? Especially now since Scamp has burned to the ground, used trailers are going to be even HARDER to come by????

That's a lot to consider
You've analyzed the situation perfectly, Donna ... from past expereince we know we need to find the trailer first as there are many, many more 'vehicle' options available ... right now, I'm just gathering info from all the knowledgeable folks on here ... thanks to everyone who has replied ... further comments and opinions welcome ... JEB
__________________
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:40 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Posts: 863
Registry
Jeb:
I agree with the "trailer-first" idea even though it didn't work out that way for us. I know you'd like to avoid them, but I consider the minivan to have some strong advantages (the reputed soccer-mom image has no effect on me anyway).
The enclosed space keeps our trailer free of clutter, it acts as an overflow sleeping space, and as far as towing is concerned it has a looong wheelbase, which helps immensely in keeping the combination stable.
If you buy the tug first, I'd recommend one with a 3500lb towing rating (I also consider transmission cooler and brakes mandatory). That will tow more than 90% of all fiberglass eggs.
My experience with Chrysler minivans and their transmissions did not allow that to happen, therefore the Honda, which has been superb.
P.S. Get a transmission temperature gauge. It will tell you more than you need to know to keep your rig healthy.
__________________
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Doug Mager's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 2,536
Registry
M'thinks Donna has just come up with yet another class of entry in an autohow n shine, a "TUG" class
__________________
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Roger H's Avatar
 
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Posts: 5,000
Hi Jeb!

There are lots of ideas for doing what you want to do... but I decided a while back that we use our vehicles for lots of waaaay different things, and that the compromises were just too great in what we wanted for any single vehicle. Have you considered just finding an inexpensive, used tow vehicle and dedicating it for towing? We have a Honda Civic now for commuting, and I tow with a Tundra. That said, there are LOTS of suitable tow vehicles out there that would cost waaaaay less than finding something that's a poor compromise. We just bought my son a nice '98 Ranger pickup V-6/auto/air (watch the tow rating on each specific Ranger tho... they vary from "not recommended" to 6,000 lbs!) for a paltry $2k. You'll probably eat more than that in depreciation driving most new minivans off the lot! It's nice to have the extra pickup around for occasional use as well. 'Course we're car-poor too!

Just another approach!

Roger
__________________
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #28
Jeb
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 15
Quote:
Hi Jeb!

There are lots of ideas for doing what you want to do... but I decided a while back that we use our vehicles for lots of waaaay different things, and that the compromises were just too great in what we wanted for any single vehicle. Have you considered just finding an inexpensive, used tow vehicle and dedicating it for towing? We have a Honda Civic now for commuting, and I tow with a Tundra. That said, there are LOTS of suitable tow vehicles out there that would cost waaaaay less than finding something that's a poor compromise. We just bought my son a nice '98 Ranger pickup V-6/auto/air (watch the tow rating on each specific Ranger tho... they vary from "not recommended" to 6,000 lbs!) for a paltry $2k. You'll probably eat more than that in depreciation driving most new minivans off the lot! It's nice to have the extra pickup around for occasional use as well. 'Course we're car-poor too!

Just another approach!

Roger
Hi Roger and Thanks for your input ... yes I not forgotten the 'inexpensive dedicated' vehicle approach and quite like it. This past year, to run errands and go back and forth to the golf course, I bought an absolutely outstanding '94 Ford Escort (a Mazda in disguise) for 2K$ CDN (maybe 1600$US) and it has been fabulous. I like well-cared-for used small pick-ups so will bear that idea in mind ... thanks for writing...JEB
__________________

__________________
Jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BUYING advice for newbie in AZ RickDMars Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 05-18-2008 11:05 AM
Advice for a newbie? Dawn Nelson General Chat 19 10-21-2007 10:35 PM
Advice for FG trailer purchase Matthew Reid Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 07-24-2007 08:56 AM
Newbie Needs Opinions on a Possible Trailer Purchase UncleJosh Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 11 01-31-2006 08:31 AM
Newbie advice needed Cam A General Chat 4 11-19-2005 01:20 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.