Newbie needs advice AND a trailer!!! - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-06-2006, 12:06 AM   #1
Jeb

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We are experienced RVers (5th wheel and camper) but now retired and looking for smaller, easier-to-tow outfit. We would greatly appreciate forum's advice as to suitable tow vehicle (for 13' Boler or similar), in Northwest conditions (often wet / always mountainous). Also would appreciate leads on suitalbe trailers For Sale in British Columbia or close by. Defintely buying this year - sooner rather than later, I hope. Love this web-site and have already learned much from contributions of generous members. Thanks in advance. JEB

Old 01-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Jeb, a couple of places to find a Boler for sale is Bolerama The forum is about halfway down the home page. Off and on, there are a fair number of Boler's and Trilliums available. Also, check the RV Classified Web Sites from our Helpful-Links page. In particular BuySell.com. Also be sure to tell every person you know, family, friends coworkers that you're looking to buy. You'd be surprised how effective this method is. It appears someone always seems to know someone , who knows someone that has a neighbor who's Grandfather has one for sale. There are a large number of trailers out there that are not advertised as being for sale. If you see one parked in a driveway/farmers field and it catches your . Stop and ask if it's for sale. Oftentimes people are sitting on the fence about selling and that's just enough to make it happen.

Tow vehicle...I'll let others respond.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Jeb

Thanks Donna ... I am aware of Bolerama, the power of 'word of mouth' and have used Buy & Sell type ads successfully in the past ... we have the money in the bank and are looking forward to enjoying the search for just the right rig ... again, love this site and the tons of helpful info available here... thanks again for your work on the site and for your helpful reply ... JEB

PS ... also thanks to 'ramblinroseis' for passing along a Boler For Sale sighting earlier today.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:28 AM   #4

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Without looking at each tow models specs, it is hard to say how small a rig you could go with.

I suspect anything labeled , with a few exceptions, as an SUV, Mini Van, truck or Other (Element, Aztek, or other larger boxy thing that makes you ask "What WERE they thinking?") would do just fine with a 13 footer.

Given that, there are so many to chose from. What are your needs and wants as a passenger or driver outside of towing ability?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Jeb

Quote:
Without looking at each tow models specs, it is hard to say how small a rig you could go with.

I suspect anything labeled , with a few exceptions, as an SUV, Mini Van, truck or Other (Element, Aztek, or other larger boxy thing that makes you ask "What WERE they thinking?") would do just fine with a 13 footer.

Given that, there are so many to chose from. What are your needs and wants as a passenger or driver outside of towing ability?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
Jeb

Thanks for the reply, Gina ... the vehilce we choose to tow our yet-to-be bought Boler will spend most of its life as our daily driver - and those criteria include fuel efficiency, enclosed carry space, lift-gate or door at rear, and probably more 'car-like' than 'truck like' ride and handling. If it wasn't for wanting to tow a Boler, we would be looking at small 'wagon or wagon-like' vehicles such as the Ford Focus. When towing is taken into consideration, I know we need something more powerful - maybe a Kia Sportage or the new Chevy HHR. These have around 140 HP but general feedback so far seems to say that something around 160 HP would be better.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #7

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
You have all the things that I considered when buying my tug. I chose a Honda Element, but others in the list were a Ford Escape, a CRV, a Sienna and a Jeep Wrangler.

I went with the Honda for various reasons, mostly because I have always driven Hondas and was very brand loyal. Go with what you know.

Having Driven Kia Sportages as rentals many times.. I had to laugh when I heard someone say when I had one once.."KIA Sportage. As durable as a potatoe chip". It seemed true with the 2wd versions I was blessed with.

I have also driven the HHR. I would not tow a radio flyer with one, much less an egg. It looks slick, but is a car. It is also VERY small on interior space. I am 5 feet tall, and avg around 100 lbs. I felt cramped in the thing. I had to transport 3 men in it, in varying shapes and sizes. No one was comfortable, and the car bogged down badly.

The next size up (I think) Chevy, the Uplander, is very nice and handles well. It got reasonable milage, but I am afraid I don't recall the exact #. I drive rentals for work frequently and since it goes on my company card, I don't stress the gas cost

It is on my list of SUVs to look at when I get ready to replace the Element (If I can bare to part with it!)
Old 01-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 72 Boler
Hi
I looked into a Dodge Caravan 3.2 & 3.8 litre and they are rated for over 3000 lbs pull with a
full towing package ie. trany cooler and proper hitch. You can also get one with stow-and-go
so all the back seats fold into the floor giving full cargo area for use. I decided to go with a 3.8l and stow-and-go for my next van.
Lew
Old 01-09-2006, 09:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
I am not familiar with all these new vehicles, but I do know that a REAR wheel drive will tow more weight than a FRONT wheel drive. Just my tuppence ! (2 cents)
Old 01-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I, too, have had an HHR as a rental. It's the same floorpan and drivetrain as the new Cobalt. Mechanically, it was quite competent, but the tradeoffs made in the name of style were considerable. The visibility out of the thing was horrid. To see what was beside you before passing, I had to swing my head around to the right, toward the center of the vehicle, to look out the side/back windows. Those windows were very heavily tinted, also, which made visibility all that much worse.
I'd pass on that one.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #11
Jeb

Quote:
I, too, have had an HHR as a rental. It's the same floorpan and drivetrain as the new Cobalt. Mechanically, it was quite competent, but the tradeoffs made in the name of style were considerable. The visibility out of the thing was horrid. To see what was beside you before passing, I had to swing my head around to the right, toward the center of the vehicle, to look out the side/back windows. Those windows were very heavily tinted, also, which made visibility all that much worse.
I'd pass on that one.
Thanks for your input, Lee ... I think the HHR is a non-starter as a tow vehicle - and it may be impractical for most other uses too ... still like the looks of the thing tho ... thanks again .... JEB
Old 01-10-2006, 09:18 PM   #12
Jeb

Hi Lew and thanks for your inforamtion ... although they may be useful and reasonably priced, I'm hoping to avoid a full size mini-van - they're just too large for our non-towing needs ... thanks again ... all input is valued and appreciated ...JEB
Old 01-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #13
Jeb

Quote:
I am not familiar with all these new vehicles, but I do know that a REAR wheel drive will tow more weight than a FRONT wheel drive. Just my tuppence ! (2 cents)
Any info on this site is worth waaaaayy more than a tuppence, Penny ... thanks for your input ... other feedback onthe front wheel / rear wheel discussion would be appreciated ... thanks again .... JEB
Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 PM   #14
Jeb

Hello again, Gina ... I too have had good luck with Hondas in the past - we had an Accord for 18 years! I'd love a CR-V but they're pretty pricey ... I had the Element on the radar but will give it even more consideration on your say-so ... what sort of gasoline mileage do you get with yours? ... thanks again ... JEB