On The Hunt For A Camper Near TN - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2018, 08:28 PM   #1

Name: Melissa
Trailer: On the hunt
Tennessee
On The Hunt For A Camper Near TN

My husband and I are on the hunt for our first travel trailer, and we’re finding it difficult to locate one near enough to us that’s within our budget. But if anyone can help, this forum group can! So here’s what we’re looking for:
Fiberglass goes without saying
Less than 8,100 pounds fully loaded
Bumper pull
No major repairs
Able to boondock for a night or two
Bathroom with toilet, sink, and shower
Double bed, not twins or bunks
Refrigerator
Seating with table, whether dinette or captains chairs
Air conditioning

So here’s the kicker. It needs to be in TN (where we live), MO (where my parents live), or a neighboring state, or belong to someone willing to deliver, and it needs to be less than $6,500. Stop laughing, y’all. I know it’s out there.

These features would be icing on the cake but are not strictly necessary:

Heat
Stovetop
Oven
No minor repairs
Four seasons capability
Awning

I’ve been watching Craigslist and this site like a hawk but have come up dry. So, what have you seen? Any and all help is fully appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Melissa MF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tall order, especially given the budget. Keep looking and saving, and eventually the two will intersect!

An older Scamp or Casita 16' would check most of your boxes, but you'll probably have to stretch the budget to get something close to camp-ready. Note the "double" bed on both is 45"x76". A Casita 17 gives you a real 54" double, but it's a newer model, so it will likely stretch your budget more.

With any older trailer, prepare to do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. The Buyer's Checklist is a helpful forum resource.

Best wishes on your "egg hunt"!

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #3

Tennessee
Jon, thanks for the info. I wasn’t sure of the bed measurements on the various models, so that helps. Neither of us is particularly tall or broad, so the smaller double would probably work fine.

Of course we’re eager to get started now, but realistically it might be awhile before our budget and our wants list coincide. But it doesn’t hurt to start looking early! We can spend another season tent camping while we browse, talk to other owners, and figure out what we really want and what’s available. That’s the idea, at least.

Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2018, 07:01 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
need to do lots of reseach here

at 8100lbs I don't know of a fiberglass trailer that approaches that I wouldn't want one anyway at that weight.

you need to find out what your tug is rated and capable of handling, is it equipped right, what is your price point? apparently you have chanpangne taste on a beer budget!

first of all you need to learn this trailering scheme of things 2 people a 16 is perfectly adequate for a couple you are not taking your household stuff with you!

I have seen very few perfect used rigs and if there is one it will bring premium price do you want that as a beginner to dent and scratch up you will do it!

we get by with a 13f we are not luxury people we don't demand tv or sat. tv, we spend our time outside camping when not moving!

camping is a change in lifestyle it will not be like setting in an easy chair at home I can assure you once you decide the perfect rig will be presented here for sale but you better have your ducks in a row because in a few days it will be gone!

fiberglass rv is a great place to learn and buy the perfect rig!!

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Bob, I'd guess that 8100 pounds is the tow rating of their vehicle. That means pretty much any molded trailer is on the table.

Melissa, an older Bigfoot 17' is another one to look for. Beds are around 44" and 48" IIRC.

Is a small fifth wheel an option? Both Scamp and Bigfoot have them. They can sometimes be good deals because there are fewer buyers due to the truck requirement.

On older units, biggest issue in my mind is the floor. Beware of rotten floors hiding under shiny new flooring. Instant project you didn't want!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #6

Missouri
jon it seems when we start out sometimes we want far more than what is attainable for starters! her listing and desires are hard to figure out but maybe that is just me and all I was trying to do was get her to start thinking the basics.

I once knew of a guy true story he bought a 300k rig spent every dollar he had and he had to park it in a farmers field. no money left! he missed out on the joy of camping and traveling due to letting his over the top desires overcome his budget!

we can afford far more than what we have but we pay as we go thus at the drop of a hat if we want to take off money is not a problem! we have hit every state camping and 4 trips to Europe following this policy! Most people cant figure out how to do these things let alone do it!

traveling camping is expensive even boondocking or tenting even on the way we cant have in our lifestyle have all the luxuries and do all these things!

bob
Old 04-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Registry
Given your budget and list of requirements I would drop molded FG trailers from your search. Molded trailer pricing is determined by the market, not budgets. Sadly they bring a lot more with the features and condition you mention.

And with the demand for these trailers, delivery is a non starter. We sold our 1996 Casita Liberty last year for more than your budget and it sold in four hours. It’s a seller’s market. I have no doubt the people that bought from us could sell it for the same price now if not more.

We drove ten hours to buy our last trailer, one way. Seller had a list of buyers who wanted it, so if we weren’t able to do the drive, it was going to the number 2 person on the list. By the way, number two offered a premium over asking to jump ahead of us! It’s s dog eat dog world out there! So had we backed out seller would have been happy to take more!!! And we bought it on day one that it was for sale and it was kind of pricey. I would say the price was fair to a couple thousand high. It was either pay the price or keep looking.

You can find a used hybrid trailer in that range or dramatically trim your requirements list.

Boondocking and AC don’t go together without a generator. And it takes a fairly expensive generator to run one which can clobber a budget too.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #8

Tennessee
Good thoughts, all.

Yes, 8,100 pounds is the maximum trailer weight of our truck. As we've noted, it's unlikely that any FG trailers will even approach that weight. We were within an inch of buying a Bigfoot fifth wheel last month but ran into two hurdles. Maybe someone has a recommendation. Our truck is a short bed (5'7"), so to leave ourselves enough room between the front of the trailer and the cab of the truck while turning we would need a sliding hitch or extender, which adds an extra layer of complexity and expense. In addition, it has a bed liner, and we really don't want to remove the bed liner or cut through it to install a fifth wheel hitch. So unless we can get around that, a fifth wheel is probably not an option at this point.

I have seen a few trailers that fit the bill but they have all been far from us. The reason for the location restriction is that I get very limited time off work, so it needs to be near enough that we could pick it up in a weekend. Unfortunate, but I need the job, so it's not something we can control.

I appreciate the comments. You're making me think and figure out what we need/want/can realistically find.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #9

Missouri
my suggestion

if you don't want a 5th wheel you are going to have to go to a 16 or such and a standard trailer hitch easy peasy but I just saw a scamp 5th wheel here go for 8500.00 including hitch!

you need to decide what you are budgeted for with the tug already you are in the game.

just don't go crazy on your trailer cost so you can have some fun! I would try to have cash on hand no borrowing!

bob
Old 04-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Registry
Spray in bed liner is the way to go. Plenty of people pulling fifth wheels with short bed trucks. But it can add some expense.

Sadly not being able to jump in your TV and pounce means you will miss out on some trailers. On the other hand, you have the advantage of income coming in! Leave after work Friday, drive far on Saturday and return Sunday. You can cover some great distance in this time.

Again it’s a sellers market, so you have to get creative or buy new (at a much higher price point). The smaller the trailer, the more you will sacrifice to have a bathroom. And it drives up the cost. Bob’s Scamp is on the basic side but it’s a palace compared to a tent!! That’s one advantage with Scamp. You can get one with lots of options at a higher price or a simple one at a lower price. Their competitors all start at a higher price point.

You can weigh out choices: which is more important: a molded trailer or a bathroom? And so on. Molded FG trailers definitely cost more than non molded trailers. Those of us here with trailers think it is worth it. I can tell you for sure my friends with traditional trailers think the molded trailers are way over priced!
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

Tennessee
Jon and Bob, thanks for your encouragement.

I hear you all, I really do. I knew it was a tall order. You're helping me narrow it down. So I'm curious, in your experience, what's hampering me the most here? Maybe we can adjust something and open up some more options.

To review, here are the high points of what we're currently looking at:
No major issues (I'm fairly handy but we don't have a protected space to work on it, nor the money to sink into major repairs. Minor repairs should be fine.)
Bathroom
Nearby (TN, MO, KY, VA, NC, GA, AL, MS, AR, OK, KS, NE, IA, IL)
$6,500

I don't care how old or plain or ugly it is as long as it's functional. We all have to start somewhere. I know this first trailer won't be perfect.

Most everyone has said that the budget is too optimistic. Maybe we can save up a little and expand that some. How much should we plan on spending for something that meets the criteria?

You all have been doing this much longer than I have, and you have a good feel for the market. Your experience and advice is really valuable. Thank you.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #12

Missouri
melissa melissa

look at the recent posts just now a 16f scamp listed get on the phone or get his nr and get busy he says nice condition negotioable price. get on it take a little risk a small one at that.

maybe you will have to drive a day or 2 does this matter? save yourself thousands off a new one!

you might get it for 1k more than its worth you may get it for 1k less who knows today!

we bought our 13f scamper sight unseen sent the guy a deposit drove 350m and picked it up. did we look it over yes not extremely? did we have doubts yes? but it was our decision to make.

best of luck to you

bob
Old 04-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #13

Tennessee
Bob, thanks for the heads up! Definitely going to look that one up.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #14

Missouri
melissa

milissa you have to strike while the iron is hot!

bob