Price for a 13ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: Former owner Scamp 13 and 16
Georgia
Price for a 13ft Scamp

Please move this if I have placed it in the wrong place. I am looking at a mid 80s 13ft Scamp that is in very good condition. It is not a regular unit. It has a bathroom where the front bunks would normally be. My question is, what is a good price? I have seen many for sale here but I don't remember this configuration. I don't want to pay too much under the assumption that is is "rare" but I don't want to offer a silly price and offend the seller. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I wouldn't say it's rare. There's one about 4 blocks from my house. The front bath is still an option on the 13s. As for price, hard to say. You have to look at what 13s are selling for lately, look at the condition of this unit, and think about what it's worth to you.

I doubt that a seller will be offended by a low offer, but he will probably say either yes or no!

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #3

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryNorman View Post
Please move this if I have placed it in the wrong place. I am looking at a mid 80s 13ft Scamp that is in very good condition. It is not a regular unit. It has a bathroom where the front bunks would normally be. My question is, what is a good price? I have seen many for sale here but I don't remember this configuration. I don't want to pay too much under the assumption that is is "rare" but I don't want to offer a silly price and offend the seller. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
When you say front bath... do you mean NO shower in a standard (fiberglass furniture) Scamp? Also what exact year? 86 or newer would add value.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #4

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Floyd, was there something extra special about the 86 and newer models or do you mean it b/c the later the model the more value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When you say front bath... do you mean NO shower in a standard (fiberglass furniture) Scamp? Also what exact year? 86 or newer would add value.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:54 AM   #5

Georgia
Iam going to take a closer look and ask for a price. I will report back and see what you think. Thanks for all of the information!!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #6

Georgia
Here is what I have so far. I know the gentleman who is storing it for a friend. The husband passed away and the wife wants $4000 for the camper. Unfortunately the key is 500 miles away. It is a 13 ft with the front bathroom. I do not think it has a shower. It has a heater (sunbeam), 3 way fridge (dometic) and comes with cable TV hookup. It does not have an AC. I could not read the year model. The camper looks to be in excellent condition. Only a little "flash" rust under it. Like I said, any help on whether or not it sounds like a fair price would be helpful. Thanks
Old 12-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #7

Name: tammy
Trailer: shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryNorman
Here is what I have so far. I know the gentleman who is storing it for a friend. The husband passed away and the wife wants $4000 for the camper. Unfortunately the key is 500 miles away. It is a 13 ft with the front bathroom. I do not think it has a shower. It has a heater (sunbeam), 3 way fridge (dometic) and comes with cable TV hookup. It does not have an AC. I could not read the year model. The camper looks to be in excellent condition. Only a little "flash" rust under it. Like I said, any help on whether or not it sounds like a fair price would be helpful. Thanks
I think that is an awesome price.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #8

Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
Snap it up...

...the going rate is easily $2,500 to $3,500 MORE!
The shower, if it has one, will be the hand held object attached to the little sink area in the bathroom. If there is carpet/fur liner on the wall, it has just a toilet and no shower. If it's all fiberglass walls in the bathroom, it's got a shower hook-up, even if the flexible hose with shower head has been taken out.
You could have new keys made for $25, if you don't get the original key sent to you.
You are a LUCKY CAMPER!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #9

Georgia
Good news and not so good news. The good news is I finally got the keys and the Scamp is very clean inside. The not so good news is it is a late 90s model not a late 80s model as I had thought. What is wrong with that you may ask? The owner realized it also and the price is now different. That being said I am waiting on paperwork and we will see if our family can be comfortable in it. I don't think any of the modifications I have seen will allow us to have the 4 beds we need but we will try to make it work. Again, thanks to all of you for the help. I will report back soon!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #10

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Henry if you look here you will be able to look through the prices on a lot of Scamps.

If you are wanting a bathroom and to sleep 4 people IMHO you should probable be looking for a 16' - think you will find its more than a little crowed with 4 people in a 13' without the bathroom! LOL Heck when I have had 4 people in my 16' it feels crowed - even when two of them are little people! ;-)) Also if you are starting to look at spending in the $4000 & up range I think all the more reason to look for a 16'
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #11

Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
If you buy a 13 FOOTER...

...WITH bathroom, I'll be dying to see what your modifications will be!!!

Were you planning on making some superific RETRACTIBLE mod that would extend the stove/fridge counter into the closet area to sleep one really LITTLE KID and then put the other TEENY TINY TOT underneath that mod, on the NARROW floor pathway to sleep?

Realistically, even with the 13' standard (with NO bathroom but WITH bunks in the front), you would find yourself VERY crowded in that tiny area...after all the interior is not 13' but is really only 10' (without the 3' of hitch/tongue).

Carol gave you the BEST (AKA: most realistic) advice: Shop for a 16 footer or LARGER. These fiberglass eggs are made like small yachts, with every area designed to be used to the max. There is NO EXTRA room for 2 bed mods or for much else, when you are looking at a 13' w/bathroom. If Scamp or Casita could've figured out how to put MORE beds into these tiny 13' eggs, believe me, they WOULD've done it (and it would cost you a heck of a LOT more MONEY!). That's the reason they manufacture the 16' and larger EGGS...to accomodate more people and/or to give you the feeling of spaciousness. Remember that SPACIOUSNESS is not something you get in a 13' w/bath...not even if it's just ONE PERSON using the whole area!!!!

Good luck with your continued search for the trailer that will suit your family and your budget.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #12

Florida
Hi Henry, we have a T@b which has the same 10 ft body as a Scamp. Ours officially sleeps 2 as there is a front kitchen then a very large nearly King bed in the rear. We have 2 girls ages 9 and 15. It's perfect for when it's just me and the girls as we all 3 can sleep in the large bed. When we went to my inlaws for Christmas and Hubby came along then it was a whole 'nother ball game. We ended up putting my oldest on the floor. Thankfully she is only 5 ft 2 inches as the floor isle is 5 ft 3 inches. The problem was getting out to the bath house at night. She still has the bruises from where Hubby stepped on her leg thinking it was her sleeping bag. Until we can upgrade to a larger trailer we are going to build a bunk that goes across the foot of the bed for when Hubby comes along. This way my oldest can sleep on the bunk (which our feet can tuck cozily under) and my youngest will still sleep with us freeing up the floor space for night time bathroom runs. Now the Scamp bed is nowhere big enough for 3 people. If your kids are little enough maybe one could sleep on the floor and then do a bunk across your feet for the other one. This solution wont work if your kids are taller. Unless you really want that inside bath and cant tow a larger trailer I'd recomend the 13ft with bunks. That is what I really needed but the opportunity did not present itself. I know in a couple of years my youngest wont want to keep sleeping with Mom and Dad so this is our temporary solution until we are in the position to upgrade. If you can, skip this step and go directly into something you can use for awhile at least. I see you live in GA where it's just as hot and humid as down here in FL so the suggestion to put the kids in a tent or have them sleep in the tow vehicle wont work for you either during the summer. Otherwise it's a fantastic solution. I've turned myself inside out trying to figure out how to cool my minivan at night so the kids could sleep in it. Plenty of room with the seats folded down and a futon matress in there. That's what we're planning on for our Spring Break camping trip but anything later into the summer and it's just not feasable. I'd even contemplated carrying a 2nd window A/C (we already carry one for the T@b) and mount it in the minivan window but that's a lot of extra weight/effort. It's a work in progress for sure.

Sorry this got so long winded but wanted to show what we've experienced and to say again get something that has a place for e'body to sleep from the get go if at all possible.

Melissa
Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #13

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Floyd, was there something extra special about the 86 and newer models or do you mean it b/c the later the model the more value?
Sorry I missed this message for so long.
It was 1986 when Scamp introduced "Ratfur" (marine fabric) walls, possibly the single best improvement in the history of the product. Also it is a cutoff line between Old and new.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #14

Florida
Oh yes, I prefer the ratfur look/feel too. Another dumb question, what do you mean by "the cutoff line between old and new" in 1986?

Thanks again,
Melissa

Tags
scamp