Seeking Fiberglass Camper- 13" or 16" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #15

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
You are welcome Christopher. Now print off a copy for yourself so you can write down the details as they feed them back to you. Also helpful to understand what to look for.
One of the members here has created Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale which will give you an idea of current and past asking prices. Also check out the Casita site to see the various layouts to understand if this layout works for you. I think it looks like a Liberty, Casita Travel Trailers - Our Showroom | Liberty | Schematic which appears to weigh more than 2000.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #16

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Christopher, Here's a link for a 13' Burro that's not to far from you. 13' Burro Fiberglass Camper | Salisbury NC | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
There are many people who pull a 13' rig and find it works for them. Josie and I pull a 16' with a side dinette and we love it. We also take our door with us at times and it's very comfortable for the 3 of us. Having the side table being able to drop down to make an extra bed is also a big help when we have a guest.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2mcclel View Post
17' Casita For Sale

Does this look like a good deal? My parents are going to check it out tomorrow if it's still available...
Also remember to take a look at the thread here called Trailer Weights in the Real World if weight of the trailer is of concern to you. Many sellers seriously under state the actual loaded weight of the trailers they are selling. In this situation the majority of the Casita's of this size on the Real World weight thread weighed in at 800/1000lbs more than what the ad suggests the trailer being sold weighs. You will need to check the model against the list to come up with a weight that may be more accurate.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #18

Name: Christopher
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Gosh that kind of scares me. I see three weigh-ins of the same model as this one and they were between 2,800lbs and 3,300lbs. I don't think I'd have a problem towing, but would probably take a beating on gas mileage. Does it seem worth $5,900 to anyone?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #19

North Carolina
The lady selling claims that the dry weight is 1700lbs...
Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Well that is were the problem is! Many people have never actually weighed their trailers and they simple read the manufactures specs for "Dry weight" but fail to understand that many items are not included in that weight - especially any optional items. Items common on the older trailers not included on the manufacture dry weight include things such as AC, Propane tanks, batteries, awnings, fridge, stove, hot water tanks, showers, toilets.... the list goes on...

Good news is over the past few years some of the manufactures are starting to give a stated leaving the factory weight. Which IMO is much better.

A good rule of thumb is to add another 500lbs of weight to what ever the actual finished trailer weight is to cover all your personal items, clothing, bedding, towels, hoses, chairs, BQ, dishes, pots and pans and food etc in the trailer. If you ever take everything out of your trailer and weigh it all you would be surprised what it all adds up to. A friend did this a few years ago & even though they thought they had the lightest of products in the trailer, lets just say their trailer went on a *serious* diet after they weighed everything. I do weigh my trailer fairly often and at the end of every year anything that didnt get used over the last year gets taken out.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #21

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Hard to tell the actual condition from pix but sounds like a good deal if it's as nice as it looks/they say it is.

Quote:
17' Casita For Sale

Does this look like a good deal? My parents are going to check it out tomorrow if it's still available...
Old 11-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #22

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
We also take our door with us at times
I prefer to take my door with me every time. Keeps the stuff in the trailer and off the roads when travelling. Keeps the bugs and bad weather out when camped.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #23

North Carolina
[QUOTE=Roy in TO;429235]
Quote:
We also take our door with us at times QUOTE]
I prefer to take my door with me every time. Keeps the stuff in the trailer and off the roads when travelling. Keeps the bugs and bad weather out when camped.
I had a thought like that myself and laughed!
Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #24

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
[QUOTE=Roy in TO;429235]
Quote:
We also take our door with us at times QUOTE]
I also take my door with me to keep my dog in the trailer. (that dagone autospell again!)

That Casita does sound nice! And Carol's explanation of weight is so true.

Happy Camper shopping, Christopher!
Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale this is a good place to look also.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #25

North Carolina
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the suggestions...
Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Does it seem worth $5,900 to anyone?
Christopher, I really dont know enough about Casita's resale values to say one way or another but if you go to Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com and look through the already sold section for trailers of the same age with the same option items you should be able to get a good feel for whether or not the price is in the ball park.

I BTW highly recommend taking the door with you on all trips as well - real headache having to keep stopping to collect my stuff off the highway
Old 11-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #27

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Humm..........
That's funny!
Well the last two days I've been installing a new front door on the house and also ordered a new set of eye glasses that will come in next week. I guess I should have waited before answering any threads until both were done.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Nope you shouldnt have! It won the smile of the day comment! :-)

I personally luv some of the auto text errors.