Seeking Fiberglass Camper- 13" or 16" - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #29

Name: Christopher
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Scamp Trailer 1987 16' | eBay

Anyone think this is a good deal? I asked the seller if I could see it tomorrow. Any questions I should ask him?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #30

North Carolina
Pics

I went and looked at the 16' Scamp near my house and loved it....except for one BIG thing! At the back of the trailer, where the underneath "shell" meets the bumper, there is rot in running across to each of the sides. There is also mold which looks feather-like and a black cloud erupts when you touch it. Anyone know if this is worth buying and fixing?
Attached Thumbnails
20131111_125424.jpg   20131111_125513.jpg  

20131111_125508.jpg   20131111_125442.jpg  

Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #31

North Carolina
It's pretty soft at the touch...but is only present in the very back.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Did you look inside the rear hatches to see what they looked like. A very common issue with older trailers that have not been well maintained is a leaking water hose to the fresh water tank - often found in the rear hatch. I would normally expect to see a large black spot at the source of the water leak on the underside - on your photo's it almost looks to me that due to the age of the trailer or something else going on - possible water damage from above - that the resin coating found on the underside of the trailer is cracking peeling away.

Edit to add: If the damage is all the way across the rear it could have been a leaking rear window.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #33

North Carolina
I was thinking the same thing after the lady told me where the fresh water tank was located. I pulled up the seat and wood, but could not see anything visibly damaged. I wish I knew more about it to dig deeper. I did notice the rear window had been fixed in the past, which like you said, could be it too. Thanks for your info! Could I possibly fix it myself or would the entire underneath have to be redone?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #34

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
There have been some posting of pictures and even a sped up video of patching a floor. Without doing the whole thing. Someone may recall the post I can't seem to locate it.

Essentially you make a patch out of wood the same thickness as the floor, trace or better yet cut around edge of patch to get exact match.

Screw a board to the bottom with aluminum foil / plastic wrap / wax paper between the board and the underside of the floor. I can't recall which so FG guys a little help here. This board gives you something to hold the patch up with. The foil etc. keeps the patch from sticking to the board.

Set the patch on the board and fiberglass the patch in with FG cloth and resin. I think one person used Gorilla glue in the seam around the patch.

Once FG hardens unscrew the board you have under the floor holding the patch up. Might put a layer of FG and resin on the bottom of the patch too.

You of course have to remove the seats or cabinets from above the area to get access, and if it is in an area of floor, the flooring will need to be removed.

And if at an edge you will also need to re-apply the fiberglass "tabbing" which is just some fiberglass cloth and resin used like tape to connect the wall to the floor, look under the seats along the edge you will see it. Since it is hidden it's a good place to do fiberglass if like me you kind of stink at it.

This thread was about patching a hole and firming up some soft spots.
Fixing a Floor
And getting the bench seats out.
Scamp- rusty screws and rotten floor!
Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #35

North Carolina
I really appreciate the post. The work involved in this is well above my qualifications, but I figured if I can get a good price on the trailer, it might be worth the extra sweat and headaches to get it in good shape.

I like the idea of using the "git-rot" without having to smash away the existing rotted floor. It was completely lost with the idea of using wax paper between the wood, but when I saw the picture in your link, it made total sense.

I have a friend that is a carpenter, although I'm not sure how much he knows about fiberglass. The equipment won't be a problem either.

I am hoping to get the Scamp for 3k, but the seller isn't budging at this point. I'll wait until the ebay listing ends(hopefully without bidders) and offer again.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #36

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Git-Rot is not cheap.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #37

North Carolina
How many quart bottles ($60.00 on Amazon) will it take to cover the whole back area?
Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #38

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2mcclel View Post
I really appreciate the post. The work involved in this is well above my qualifications, but I figured if I can get a good price on the trailer, it might be worth the extra sweat and headaches to get it in good shape.

I like the idea of using the "git-rot" without having to smash away the existing rotted floor. It was completely lost with the idea of using wax paper between the wood, but when I saw the picture in your link, it made total sense.

I have a friend that is a carpenter, although I'm not sure how much he knows about fiberglass. The equipment won't be a problem either.
If your carpenter friend has ever patched a hole in drywall by laying a patch over the wall cutting around the patch it's not that different. Or floor underlayment patch, same thing. Sure they can handle it.

Fiberglass is measure, mix it and then spread it faster than it gets hard using one of those cheap stiff paint brushes, don't ask how I know about that "before it gets hard" problem.

This thread was in my favorites, member who put a lot of work into sharing thier fiberglass knowledge. See post #9 and do same thing over the wood patch. And post #11 where it describes using a board behind a patch as a brace/support covered with.... WAX PAPER. Forgetting that wax paper is what is used was driving me nuts.

You Can Repair Fiberglass

Not sure you can get away with git-rot along the edge if the wood has softened to the point the strip of fiberglass cloth that holds the wall to the floor has come loose. Need good wood to re-fiberglass that edge.

Remind yourself the patch just has to not fall out, no one will see it. So if it works then you did good. Not any harder tha paper mache we did in art class, but smells much worse.

floor rot is a powerful bargaining point on price, good luck with getting the winning "post" bidding bid.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #39

North Carolina
I like the optimism from the original poster! VERY informative thread....thanks. You guys have made me feel more comfortable even placing an offer. I'm sure in the next two days, you'll find out whether I'm bummed out or asking for more help!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #40

North Carolina
So the Ebay listing came and went without any bids. I'm going to call the owner tomorrow and see what she says. Definitely wasn't willing to go below 3k during bidding so maybe she will change her mind now.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #41

North Carolina
Camper sold for full price to someone in NJ..