Seeking Fiberglass Camper- 13" or 16" - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #1

Name: Christopher
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Seeking Fiberglass Camper- 13" or 16"

I'm in Raleigh NC and have been a huge camper all my life. Now that I have a steady job as a terribly paid teacher I am looking for a 13 or 16 foot fiberglass camper. Last summer I drove to Alaska and camped outside every night, but found it pretty miserable after awhile. Since the trip overall was amazing, I want to do it again, but in style.

I am not married and do not have any kids, (I'm 29) and will be traveling with either a buddy or my girlfriend and dog. When thinking about a 13 or 16, I can't really make up my mind which one I want. Seeing as I like to travel long distances and have the time to do so, a 13" might be more reasonable because of better gas mileage.

Anypne know of a few deals out there?

Also, looking to spend around 4k-6k....

Old 10-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome Christopher, Lots of us here came from the camping with tents prior so we understand the desire for a bit more comfort :-)

A great site to keep your eye on for trailers for sale is www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com as well as the for sale section of this forum.

As to whether a 13' or 16' I dont know if you have seen the thread Trailer Weights in The Real World but it may help you decide as it has for others in determining what trailers match up with your vehicle's tow specs. The weights listed are members trailers loaded up for camping.

Have fun looking at trailers. If you get a chance to attend a fiberglass trailer rally you should go. Thats a great way to see lots of different makes and sizes all in one place.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
Christopher, what auto are you going to pull with? This will better determine which trailer will be best.
Mike
Old 10-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

North Carolina
Carol...thanks for the info as I haven't looked at that thread yet. Are there many sales at rallies? mszabo, I am towing with a Saab 97x, which is pretty much a Trailblazer. Would that tow a 16"?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #5

Michigan
If you have a 6 cyl your tow rating is 5500 v8 6500. You can pull most FG trailers with no problem.
Me being you I'd find a compact jr with a gas refrigerator.
Light weight, sets high, the right camper will have heat, stove, battery, ref. port-a-potty. Great price and easy to sell.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

North Carolina
Thanks for the info. I have the V-6. Sounds like I won't have a problem towing...I see you are in Michigan. My parents live on Lake St. Clair, northeast of Detroit. They have a place in northern Michigan (Mio) where they're checking on campers for me. Definitely looking in Michigan too!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Just check your manual to see what it says for tow caps or if there are any restrictions. Some vehicles restrict towing trailers that dont have brakes to under 1500lbs or 1000lbs. If your vehicle has such a requirement make sure when you are looking at the 13' that you check to make sure that the axle allows brakes to be added if the trailer already doesnt have them. If the axle doesnt have a mounting flange for the brakes you will need to change the axle to get brakes added. Be warned many of the older model 13's dont have brakes or an axle that will take them but as you will see in the Real World Weight thread they should have ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #8

Michigan
Good luck, I'm sure you will do fine.
There is a lot of good help on this site.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #9

North Carolina
I'm glad you told me that because I didn't know these restrictions existed. I'll look in the morning and let you know what it says. How old are we talking with the 13's not having brakes?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #10

Name: Faris
Trailer: U Haul
Arkansas
Sorry i did not get back with you sooner. We had rain today will take photo's and send tomorrow. Can i get your email address. i wiil send to it.
thanks Faris
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #11

North Carolina
c2mcclel@gmail.com Thanks faro!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #12

North Carolina
17' Casita For Sale

Does this look like a good deal? My parents are going to check it out tomorrow if it's still available...
Old 11-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #13

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Get them a copy of the "Buyers Check List" to bring along with them. It is in the Document Center under "More" at the top right corner of every page here.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #14

North Carolina
Thanks for the heads up Roy! Just emailed it to my parents...