Sleeps 4 w/toilet in/around NY? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #1

Name: Theresa
Trailer: In the markey
New York
Sleeps 4 w/toilet in/around NY?

We're looking for a small (i.e. 16ft. Casita, Scamp, Burro maybe even a 13ft?) trailer that sleeps 4 and has a bathroom (toilet fine, shower ok too) for my husband, myself and 2 young daughters. We're hoping to see our beautiful country as a family before the girls get too old to enjoy our company. We have $5k saved so far....anyone have anything close to our needs?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Nothing 13' has a bathroom, and can sleep 4.

I am fond of Trillium 4500's, 15' but no bathroom.

What is the towing capacity of you tow vehicle?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #3

New York
Thanks. I think the Trillium could fit the bill. Towing is 3500lb (one reason we're looking at the smaller trailers) for my cx-9.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #4

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
How old are the girls?
By the time they are eight years old, they don't want to sleep with you. They'll be happier sleeping in their own tent pitched next to the trailer.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A Scamp 16' layout 4 would meet all your criteria. It sleeps 4 - a tight 4, mind you - and has a small bathroom as well. They're fairly common in the used market, but you might have to raise your budget for a decent, ready-to-camp unit. Good condition older ones seem to be going in the $6-9K range. Newer ones can top $10K.

Alternatively, you could take Dave's advice and look for a 15' Trillium and use a porta-potty. It would probably be closer to your budget, and roomier for 4 that a 13'er. Most of the state parks I've seen have decent bathroom facilities with hot showers.

We also have two young daughters (8 and 11). I agree with Glenn that when children reach a certain age they love to have their own tent, but there are times when I would want them inside: bear country, for one. Personally, I would let go of the bathroom before I would let go of the extra two beds.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
If you decide you can live with just a porta-potty, you also have a lot of choices in the 13' category. Unless they have been modified, quite a few were designed to sleep 4 - dinette/bed at the back, sofa/bunks at the front. Scamp, Boler, Trillium, Burro, U-Haul, Casita,...

They are small - 13' means a 10' cabin with a 3' tongue. We make it work for four by cooking and eating outside most of the time. More like camping than RVing. But in a really nice tent!

Trick is snagging a good one before someone else does - best ones, fairly priced, often sell in hours!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #7

New York
Jon - sounds like we camp very similarly (we have been tent camping with our 8 & 2 year old daughters for their whole lives). I have definitely noticed these units move FAST....especially around our area! I'll keep looking. We were hoping to take it for a maiden voyage to PA this August, but we may still be in our tent then.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesaw View Post
Jon - sounds like we camp very similarly (we have been tent camping with our 8 & 2 year old daughters for their whole lives). I have definitely noticed these units move FAST....especially around our area! I'll keep looking. We were hoping to take it for a maiden voyage to PA this August, but we may still be in our tent then.
You're not kidding! You really have to be in the right place at the right time, with your finances all lined up. In addition to keeping up daily with the national listings on this site and fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, I would check daily in all the nearby Craigslist sites, anything within a half-day's drive. Some of the listings here and most of the listings on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com are collected from Craigslist, and many are already in negotiation with a potential buyer by the time they show up on the national sites. And don't forget e-Bay.

BTW, have you downloaded the buyer's inspection checklist from the document center? It will help you ask the right questions on the phone and not miss anything important when you look at a trailer. Here is is:
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

Good luck in your search!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Fiberglass campers are favorite targets for scams so be careful. There was just a Scamp 16 on Albany NY craigslist for a ridiculously low price and no contact info. It disappeared quick. Even the ads with a phone number can be scams.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Fiberglass campers are favorite targets for scams so be careful. There was just a Scamp 16 on Albany NY craigslist for a ridiculously low price and no contact info. It disappeared quick. Even the ads with a phone number can be scams.
I saw that one too and assumed it was a scam because it disappeared so fast.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #11

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You're not kidding! You really have to be in the right place at the right time, with your finances all lined up. In addition to keeping up daily with the national listings on this site and fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, I would check daily in all the nearby Craigslist sites, anything within a half-day's drive. Some of the listings here and most of the listings on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com are collected from Craigslist, and many are already in negotiation with a potential buyer by the time they show up on the national sites. And don't forget e-Bay.

BTW, have you downloaded the buyer's inspection checklist from the document center? It will help you ask the right questions on the phone and not miss anything important when you look at a trailer. Here is is:
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List

Good luck in your search!
Thank you! I have the checklist now too!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by treesaw View Post
I saw that one too and assumed it was a scam because it disappeared so fast.
Sometimes you can tell a scam by doing a craigslist search. If you find the same ad posted in several locations around the country it certainly is a scam. What made me wonder about this ad was it showed that it was located on a street that does exist. Couldn't find the ad doing a search through Searchtempest, but did find some Scamp 16 ads that had been deleted so couldn't read them. On rare occasions a "deal of the century" will pop up, so you never know.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #13

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A Scamp 16' layout 4 would meet all your criteria. It sleeps 4 - a tight 4, mind you - and has a small bathroom as well.

I have the Scamp 16' layout 4 - side bath and I can attest it works well if you have two children with you. Have camped a number of times with 2 children - young teens (on the front bunks), 2 adults (bed/back dinette) and 2 *big* dogs (on the floor) all sleeping in it & very comfortable.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Late thought, Theresa...

If you don't find your perfect camper before your August trip, you might look into a visit to one of the rallies in your area. It looks like there might be a couple in NY in August & September. There is often a time set aside for "open house" tours of trailers. You'd likely be able to see many sizes & models up close.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV