SoCal Family wants to "Go Fiberglass!" - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 79 Apache Roamer (Trying to Buy an 'Egg')
We are a family of 3 looking for an older (read that as less expensive!) Fiberglass "Egg" to travel and camp in. Since we really need a bathroom (we dry camp a lot) we re probably looking at a 16-17 footer. We also need the back of our pickup for bikes and stuff, so are not looking for a 5th Wheel. Other than those two things, we are not that picky. We can do minor repairs, re-cover and re-curtain faded upholstery and clean things up. I've seen Scamps, Casitas, Trilliums and Bigfoots on the Internet that all looked really good to me, but they were all too far away to go look at. If any of you are listing anything in California, Nevada, Arizona or Oregon, could you please let me know? Thanks!

I joined this forum because you all are so great and really know your stuff. When I was looking for a small, light travel trailer, I was originally looking at the older Airstreams because of the quality, but now I believe fiberglass is the way to go (unless I want to spend years of my life in restoration projects on expensive to begin with "fixer-upper" aluminum eggs!) So thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Old 05-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
Where in So.Cal are you? Im close to Disneyland & Might know where a 13' tillium is..I think its for sale, Gotta check on it.. Its 13' so no bathroom though. Ill look around for you guys..... Any idea of your spending amount? Let me know. Josh In So.Cal

Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 PM   #3

Thanks Josh!! We are in the Ventura area, but my daughter would love any excuse to come down to Disneyland, even if her parents had to go look at a camper first

We'd really like to keep the cost between $1,500-5,000 which is why we are looking at ones over 10 years old, although there was this '96 Bigfoot up in Washington we would have gone up to the asking price of $6,500 for (it sold before we could even think of traveling up there).
Old 05-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
California
Quote:
[b]Where in So.Cal are you? Im close to Disneyland & Might know where a 13' tillium is..I think its for sale, Gotta check on it.. Its 13' so no bathroom though. Ill look around for you guys..... Any idea of your spending amount? Let me know. Josh In So.Cal
Josh - any additional info on this trailer? - I might be interested...

thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:59 AM   #5

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Josh - any additional info on this trailer? - I might be interested...

thanks.
Carol, i'm selling my Compact junior, if you are interested. I'm near Temecula.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Carol..... The owner of the trill says he's gonna do something with it in a couple months but "check back in 6 months" to see if I change my mind... Sooo all I can do is wait.. Check out the compact Jr thats for sale in Temecula.... I love those FG Trailers... Ill post something when it comes up... Also WHere in So.Cal are you located?
Josh In So.Cal(close to Disneyland)
Old 06-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #7

Still looking, but now we are a little more picky (since I've looked at a couple with only 1 bed and no bathroom)....

This or something like it is the perfect layout for us. We need at least 2 beds that fit 2 adults and a child and a bathroom-if it came with a shower, even if it didn't work -that would be outstanding! (it would still be a clean, well drained place to bring in our solar powered water bag to wash off).

Scamp

Name:   scamp_layout_2_too.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  4.2 KB

Bigfoot

Name:   Bigfoot_25b175_Floorplan.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  3.8 KB
Old 06-01-2007, 11:46 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Marie,

That exact floorplan is showing up still in Craigslist in Loveland, CO but it has been up for a bit so not sure if it is still available, but looks like a very good buy.

16 Scamp
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Hi Marie,
I am currently looking for a 17 Casita Freedom. I Looked at one this weekend in Long Beach and actually had a agreement with the owner "Greg" to meet on Monday and exchange a cashier's check for the trailer, of course he called Sunday night with the news he has decided to keep the trailer and the deal is off. If however we do find one, then I will be selling my 1985 16' Scamp. It has quite a few extras and we are located in Ojai, a short trip... I will let you know if something comes up. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:10 AM   #10

That Scamp sounds great! I wish I would have known you were looking for a Freedom earlier-2 weeks ago I looked at a gorgeous (spotlessly clean) 2001 Freedom Deluxe in Camarillo (I couldn't use it because we need some place to put our little one and the 2 Captain's Chairs just wouldn't work). I see on the ad that he sold it though.

Does your Scamp have the Bunk Bed/Couch option? Also does it have a bathroom/shower setup and hot water/water holding tanks? I have decided they are essential since we pretty much always dry camp (especially when we go out in the Black Rock Desert for a week-10 days in August) so they are at the top of my list. That is the main reason I'm not down in San Diego looking at the Scamp that was listed Tuesday right now!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 AM   #11

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
If Marie doesn't want it, I'd sure like to take a look at it! Thanks!

Quote:
Hi Marie,
I am currently looking for a 17 Casita Freedom. I Looked at one this weekend in Long Beach and actually had a agreement with the owner "Greg" to meet on Monday and exchange a cashier's check for the trailer, of course he called Sunday night with the news he has decided to keep the trailer and the deal is off. If however we do find one, then I will be selling my 1985 16' Scamp. It has quite a few extras and we are located in Ojai, a short trip... I will let you know if something comes up. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
We are a family of 3 looking for an older (read that as less expensive!) Fiberglass "Egg" to travel and camp in. Since we really need a bathroom (we dry camp a lot) we re probably looking at a 16-17 footer. We also need the back of our pickup for bikes and stuff, so are not looking for a 5th Wheel. Other than those two things, we are not that picky. We can do minor repairs, re-cover and re-curtain faded upholstery and clean things up. I've seen Scamps, Casitas, Trilliums and Bigfoots on the Internet that all looked really good to me, but they were all too far away to go look at. If any of you are listing anything in California, Nevada, Arizona or Oregon, could you please let me know? Thanks!

I joined this forum because you all are so great and really know your stuff. When I was looking for a small, light travel trailer, I was originally looking at the older Airstreams because of the quality, but now I believe fiberglass is the way to go (unless I want to spend years of my life in restoration projects on expensive to begin with "fixer-upper" aluminum eggs!) So thanks for sharing your wisdom!
Hi Marie,
I have a '92 16' Scamp w/ bath (toilet and showeras shown in one of your responses), all options I'm familiar with incl. A/C, screen door, TV, twin propane tanks, new battery, 2-spare tires etc. It's in really great shape and I'm asking $7,800. I'm located in Calimesa and my email is ghilder@verizon.net. I'm looking for a class C motorhome to accomodate my wife's health issues.
Gary