Socal: looking for a light travel trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
You still might want to confirm weights with actual owners. I think that this is a better link to the owners site. www.hilotrailerforum.com/

I looked at it and it does exist and this link works.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:28 PM   #16

Name: ric
Trailer: sprinter looking to tow something
California
Thank you for the link, seems like bugs and drafts are a couple of issues with the design. Also they use caps, so there are seams like normal.

I've seen some pretty long "stick built" super ultra lights under 5k pounds. 25-30ft. Tempting but I do hate leaks.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #17

California
If someone convinces you that a "Super Ultra Light" 30' sticky (BTW: Those are mutually exclusive terms) comes in under 5000 lbs I've got a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you.... lol
Old 05-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #18

California
2001 Nomad Price, 2001 Nomad Values & 2001 Nomad Specs | NADAguides

Scroll down to the bottom for one example. There is a 31x8' UVW is 3700 lbs. There are plenty of others out there with similar ratings.. I don't have much stuff to put in. I would bet I could easily keep a 25-30 at 5k loaded assuming its anywhere close to these UVW ratings. You can argue frame strength, leaks, construction, materials.. but there is no denying they are light. I guess they use aluminum instead of steel? Not sure.

I dont NEED the extra space, but it would be a nice luxury. In any case I'm still holding out for a 15-20 molded something or other..
Old 05-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #19

California
Those are the weights provided by the manufacturer not actual as-built weights and usually represent the most stripped down model they offer. This is often done to assure that they will come under certain limits for towing as well as taxes in some states that tax trailers by weight/weight class. It also helps "suck in" unsuspecting buyers who what to tow with a smaller vehicle.

If you looked at the older ads for Scamp and others you will see some weights that are near impossible in the real world.

But, all that said, I have soooo little interest in 30' stickys that I have already spent too much time talking about them.

Let me/us know if your interest returns to FGRV's and I/we can offer advice about what I/we know.

Good Luck

All I can say is Buyer Beware.....
Old 05-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #20

California
I do realize that 3700 number is going to be low. But that is a 31' model. There are 25' maybe 28 foot "lite" trailers out there that I am pretty sure I can keep under 5k loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I have already spent too much time talking about them.
Not at all, seriously I appreciate the banter. Its only going to help me go in eyes wide open if/when I pick one of these things. Maybe somebody else too if they read this! I would fully expect to be up on the roof doing sealing maintenance unless I go molded. The price/size benefit would have to outweigh that.

If I weren't in a dry climate I wouldn't even consider one of the wood built trailers. Like I mentioned, despite the dry climate I still have had several problems with water damage. It only rains a few hours at a time usually. And I do have a dry bay to do repairs in the rare case that it doesn't stop.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #21

California
A 3rd interesting option is a custom built steel frame. Utility manufacturers who build catering type trailers and race haulers can do anything you want.. I wonder how well a "converted" utility trailer would do as a travel trailer. Insulation and noise might be issues you would have to deal with.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Socal: looking for a light travel trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp View Post
A 3rd interesting option is a custom built steel frame. Utility manufacturers who build catering type trailers and race haulers can do anything you want.. I wonder how well a "converted" utility trailer would do as a travel trailer. Insulation and noise might be issues you would have to deal with.

I saw a really nice one parked amid the big rigs at Lost Dutchman SP back back in February. Nothing redneck about it. I didn't see the inside, but the exterior looked like it had full hook-ups and AC. That's one way to get exactly what you want/need and no more. Fire engine red pulled by a matching late-model Chevy Silverado.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I have dreamed of "light travel" ever since I read Doc E.E. Smith novels as a kid! Good brakes might be an important consideration though!
Old 05-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #24

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Doc Smith? Wow, you're really showing your age. Glad I have good company. LOL

Walt
Old 05-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #25

California
I got a quote from one of the custom utility trailers factories at $11k. This is for a 8x20' with ramp rear door, full front bathroom. No wood beams, all steel including arched steel roof beams. I'm seriously considering it.. maybe not fire engine red though. I'm sure at that price it would be bare plywood or chipboard inside, which doesn't really bother me. I'd rather my money went towards a good base rather than fancy trim.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
What did they quote for an empty weight?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #27

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
This is an Escape trailer that few have ever seen. It was up for sale late last year.
See post #25 at For Sale 2012 Escape Terrain (toy hauler) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Just for your information and pleasure.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Glenn those links to the pics don't open up unless you're a member

Tags
light