Socal: looking for a light travel trailer - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2015, 06:06 PM   #43

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I don't know of any advantage to fiberglass panels over other stickies. Basically they have the same leaky seams to deal with. Molded fiberglass is what I go with.

Walt

Old 05-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #44

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

And don't you already have a nice, relatively economical diesel Sprinter to tow with?

I'd sure want to stick with a towable myself. Makes it a lot easier to do some day exploring or a quick grocery run without having to take the whole camper.

I'm not sure I remember reading in this long thread… how many beds are you looking for?

Old 05-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #45

Name: ric
Trailer: sprinter looking to tow something
California
I've heard some of the A diesels can do 10. I would not consider another gasser. Its amazing how you can get a pimpy motorcoach that listed for 150k to 200k at less than 10k$.. I'm sure its easy to blow more than 10k in maintenance/repair on top of that. There lies the problem.

Somebody who resides maybe 15 minutes drive from me, they have a Hino with a custom house on the back. Very nice and I'm sure he really gets over 10! I could live with something like that. Or maybe an Isuzu or Mitsu flatbed. That loaded up with a scamp or other fiberglass house.

Yes, I do have the sprinter. I'm just having fun window shopping some alternates. Getting bored looking for and not finding what I really need. Have several offspring that I'd like to be able to bring. :P The fact that the van body can sleep 2 or 3 people is what makes me think I can get by with something short.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #46

Arizona
Registry
To me a Bigfoot 17'er seems like the perfect complement to your Sprinter. Over 25 years old is no problem importing from Canada: 1987 17' Bigfoot Trailer | West Vancouver/ Horshoe Bay, BC, Canada | Fiberglass RV's For Sale. This one even has the bunk option to sleep one more.

I've seen better deals, but now is peak season, and it looks very clean. A few turn up in the NW and Rocky Mountain states on this side of the border. But that's what I'd be looking for.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #47

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
A while back we had a member that had found a Hannomag chassis with a coach on it that looked all the world like a molded fiberglass Airstream on a chassis. It was a diesel and he was here for a few months, posted some neat pics and then disappeared.... Here's the posts with some neat pics.... cry your eyes out on this one....LOL
Hello from Bill
Old 05-22-2015, 11:38 AM   #48

California
Awww lightweight tubular steel chassis and socal too. AND diesel, stick shift, fiberglass, and rare.

You're killing me Bob..

Some of the high end fiberglass paneled motorcoaches have the corners of the roof molded into the roof pieces. So the seam is down on the side of the coach a bit compared to a normal RV where its right at the corner. I don't have 1st hand experience with them, but it seems like that would be superior. Gravity being what it is.

Jon you're right about peak season. I'm in no rush, I guess I should probably hold off until fall. I do think a 17 would be just about perfect. I was emailing back and forth with a seller for a longer bigfoot, but the weight was on the high side for the little 2.7L engine so I passed.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #49

California
What do you guys think of this tow setup??

2006 scamp fifth wheel trailer 19 foot

I have enough to cover the asking price. Didn't want to spend quite that much if I didn't have to..

Its a fifth converted to tow off of a raised bumper hitch. Makes me very uncomfortable looking at it.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #50

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp View Post
...Its a fifth converted to tow off of a raised bumper hitch...
It looks to me like the standard Scamp set-up, which attaches to a ball mounted in the bed of a truck, not to a bumper hitch. Scamp does not use a king pin arrangement, though some owners make the conversion. There is a discussion here: Ordering Scamp 5th Wheel

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp 19 Hitch.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	84482

I have seen people who have added framework under the loft to lower the coupler to use it as a regular bumper pull. I also saw one person who had constructed a drawbar with a crazy rise to attach to a regular receiver hitch. Now that is scary to me!

Scamp 5-ers are nice for sleeping a lot of people, but please, not without a truck!
Old 05-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #51

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Oooohh The "I am in the military" Scam... the true scum of the scammers.

I can't possibly see how anyone with a 4th grade education would fall for that offer just based on the vocabulary and spelling being used.

Although they usually manage to spell crated right, "It is created and ready to go" is a dead giveaway. Who would crate a trailer that big and why??? Yet they almost always use that as an excuse as to why it can't be seen at it's mysterious storage location.
Well, everybody knows that the Marine Corps 'creates' RVs...lol
Old 05-26-2015, 02:41 PM   #52

California
The seller was bumper pulling it, he has a raised hitch, kind of like the reversed version of a drop hitch..
Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #53

California
In that case I'd be more concerned with the seller and anything else he might have done to it.

He must have moved to Riverside from Anaheim, home of Disneyesque engineering or, as they call it, "Imagineering"
Old 05-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #54

Arizona
Registry
Maybe that's the one I saw… but it was never meant to be used that way.

Average tongue weight is 600 pounds on a Scamp 19. It would be easy to exceed rated capacities of drawbar, hitch, frame attachment, suspension, tires, and/or rear axle with that much weight that far behind the axle. You might even risk unloading the front end enough to affect handling. A WDH is typically used for tongue weights in that range, and that wouldn't be possible here.

I'm guessing the seller knows it, doesn't want to buy a truck, and that's why he's selling.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #55

California
From the pics I saw (removed from the ad now) he did have a big pickup. I dont get the reasoning behind it. Anyway I'll keep looking for a bumper pull that size.

Just for giggles I interweb shopped used class B/C sprinters.. sticker SHOCK! Wow. So that is one more non-option. Also saw some molded fiberglass dodge Travcos. VERY appealing to me in design and shape. It would have to be already totally restored for one of those old things to make any sense though. And even then the mpg would be horrible..
Old 05-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #56

California
TRAVCO was really a pioneer in molded fiberglass motorhomes and sold them through Dodge dealers as well as RV outlets.
They also built the 25'(?) molded fiberglass L'Esprit Class "C" motorhome for a few years. I had one for 2-3 years but that Dodge 440 just couldn't pass a gas station.
There is an on-line group for TRAVCO owners.

Tags
light