Socal: looking for a light travel trailer - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #57

Name: ric
Trailer: sprinter looking to tow something
California
That cab over in the esprit is great! Just looked it up.

I was thinking one of the 21 or 22 ft shortie travco's with a well tuned motor might not be so bad on gas. I'm not sure how not-bad, but a 318 in that has to be a fair deal better than my 460 with barn door aero.

I wouldn't really mind the "experienced" exterior look to a 60's or 70's travco. I would be concerned about the interior and functional bits on something that old. It would have to be something already gone thru. I don't think I know how serious I would be about one until I find one and look at it. They are really really old.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #58

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
TRAVCO vs. Argosy

[QUOTE=Comp;525027]That cab over in the esprit is great! Just looked it up.

I was thinking one of the 21 or 22 ft shortie travco's with a well tuned motor might not be so bad on gas. I'm not sure how not-bad, but a 318 in that has to be a fair deal better than my 460 with barn door aero.
==========================

Similar to the shorty TRAVCO, which are considered "Rare & Collectable" in that group, is the Argosy shorty motorhome/bus. Airstream made tons of these, both as RV, but most as busses for local transit companies. As a result, they can almost be called "Plentiful" at least as compared to TRAVCO shorty's.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #59

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp View Post

Its a fifth converted to tow off of a raised bumper hitch. Makes me very uncomfortable looking at it.
Agree with Jon its not been converted &/or messed with that is the standard Scamp hitch set up for their 19'.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:49 AM   #60

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
From the pics I saw (removed from the ad now) he did have a big pickup. I dont get the reasoning behind it...

Likely was the one I saw, then.

I can think of two reasons someone might try to do what he did. One is that he wanted to carry something else in the bed (quad, maybe). That would make a bad situation far worse. Second is that the bed rail height on a lot of newer full-size pickups (as well as older ones with raised off-road suspensions) requires an optional raised suspension on the Scamp. The truck may have been too tall to fit under the Scamp's loft.

Or maybe it's just a flip.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #61

California
Good point, IIRC the advertiser did have a lifted late model 'agressively' styled truck with the raised sides to the body and bed.

Thank you, I will put argosy on my radar. Had no idea those existed. I also see some argosy trailers but I think they are aluminum.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #62

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

Thank you, I will put argosy on my radar. Had no idea those existed. I also see some argosy trailers but I think they are aluminum.
One of my girlfriends found and restored an Argosy. She turned it into a real nice trailer but she was fortunate to have a husband who was a vintage car guy, who was very good at taking things apart and putting it back together & paying attention to detail! The Argosy was built by Airstream, using painted aluminum but were not made up with as many different panels and rivets as the Airstream.

Lots of info on the Argosy at Tin Can Tourists - Argosy.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #63

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The Argosy also differed in that it had formed steel (?) front and rear end caps, apparently to allow for a wrap around window.

I'd never heard that they were built with fewer rivets, or any thing else suggesting a lower quality of build than the parent Airstreams. I think that the first ones appeared in about 1977-78
Old 05-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #64

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

I'd never heard that they were built with fewer rivets,
They use fewer rivets on the outside body simple due to their being made with fewer outside panels than the traditional Airstream.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #65

California
The used RV Sprinter prices are astounding. $40k-$60k used? When you can get a used cargo version for $15k. Makes towing with a cargo look like a absolute bargain. With a small to medium trailer I would bet you could out MPG the C and even B class Sprinters too. I've got to keep mpg in mind to fend off the temptation of some of these other options..
Old 05-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #66

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
No wonder. Installation of RV equipment and interior in a van takes time and money. Look at Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Your Home Away From Home
Old 05-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #67

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
The used RV Sprinter prices are astounding. $40k-$60k used? When you can get a used cargo version for $15k. Makes towing with a cargo look like a absolute bargain. With a small to medium trailer I would bet you could out MPG the C and even B class Sprinters too. I've got to keep mpg in mind to fend off the temptation of some of these other options..
MPG, mmmmmm. I was tickled when I went from 6 to the mid 7s when I changed from one large RV to a newer bigger one. I'm sure I'm on the other end of the list for having/using an RV and worrying about MPG. Yes, it is nice to get higher mileage but it's just not very high on my list. YMMV
Old 05-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #68

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Yes, it is nice to get higher mileage but it's just not very high on my list. YMMV
YMMV - Your mileage may vary. No pun intended?

You're right. Priorities differ greatly from one person to another. MPG is a big concern for us, but not for some others.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #69

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
No wonder. Installation of RV equipment and interior in a van takes time and money.
Yea but the thing that doesn't make sense to me, you can get a really nice e350 class C for 20 to 30k. Same size, year, the gassers are half what a sprinter runs! You can't tell me it costs twice as much for the same labor and materials just cause its a sprinter that is being converted rather than an e350.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #70

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
[QUOTE=rbryan;525463]YMMV - Your mileage may vary. No pun intended? QUOTE]

Not really but it does work

Tags
light