Socal: looking for a light travel trailer - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #85

Name: ric
Trailer: sprinter looking to tow something
California
Stopped by to look at a stick built 18' toy hauler. Seller was pretty funny. Older gentleman and told me in no uncertain terms how much he hates the construction of trailers. GVWR was over 5k, that and a few other reasons I passed on it. He had bought a newer 20' toy hauler. Gave me the tour on the both of them, while cursing their construction and the non-existent support from the manufacturers. Also cursed how everybody wants to "camp out" in luxury 30 foot mobile homes with multiple slides, thus making it difficult to find many options under 20' these days. I guess he drove out to AZ to pickup his 20. I told him I'd probably have to do the same to get a 17.

Called on a well used 25 year old scamp locally, but it has a crack in it on a lower area. That spooked me so I didn't go look at it. How big a deal is something like that?

Old 06-15-2015, 12:32 PM   #86

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Called on a well used 25 year old scamp locally, but it has a crack in it on a lower area. That spooked me so I didn't go look at it. How big a deal is something like that?

That's really not specific enough to give a meaningful answer. Crack in what, the FG body? Where, how long, how deep,....? Fiberglass repair is very doable, but it does take some real skill to do it well.

Walt

Old 06-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #87

California
Yes in the fiberglass near one of the wheel arches. I don't think I'd be able to tell much even if I looked at it in person. So I figured it was better to write this purchase opportunity off. Wait for another.

So the fiberglass shell *is* the entire supporting structure of these things, like an egg right? That thought makes me scared of any unit with cracks.

Today I found an ad for a new Carson 14' hauler locally. Which is encouraging. What suprised me about checking the used hauler having never seen one in person was the height. Very tall, I guess for the off road ground clearance, and also for the bunks that swing down from the ceiling. Very tall. And wide. Makes total sense how they kill mpg so effectively!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #88

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The bottom few inches of the shell (below the floor attachment) on a Scamp is more of an apron covering the frame. It seems an unlikely place to get a spreading stress fracture, and a more likely place for impact damage.

Mine came with a 6" horizontal crack in the lower front apron (in the photo that's the tongue at the right). Most likely the PO caught the tip of a log or rock in a campsite and bent the apron enough to crack the gel coat and expose glass fibers. It did not separate the fibers and is below the level of the floor attachment, so I consider it cosmetic. It hasn't changed in three years and many miles of towing, so I don't plan to do anything about it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scampy FG Damage.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	85402

Stress cracks are more common around windows, vents, and doors. If the glass is completely separated and the crack appears to be spreading (wider at one end), then it is a cause for concern, especially around the door, which is the weakest area of the shell. Here's an example:

Name:   Stress Crack.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  13.1 KB

Personally, I'd at least take a look at the trailer and take some photos of the damage. Post them and see what folks think.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #89

California
Appreciate that advice, maybe I will go see it. Even without the crack being an issue, I'm not sure I would pay the full $8000 asking price as it looks more well used than I'd like. Not nearly as nice as some of the other ones I've seen go for 8k in other states. Maybe thats just par for socal's course though.

I read some terrible reviews on Carson trailer on yelp. Stopped by their factory yesterday after work but they were closed. They have it listed as a dealer site as well, but did not see any 14' haulers on the lot.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #90

California
So I didn't go see the scamp. I thought some more about it, and for the asking price its too old. There is a 2001 casita available not far away. I may go look at that tomorrow. 14 years is better than 25.. Thanks for the help guys, I know I'm a PITA in the thread here, but want to get the right one the first time!

Big plus is.. that its nominally 3500lbs. which means if ever I downsize my van to a SUV/minivan I could still lug this thing around. No way to do that with a cargo conversion.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #91

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
There is a 13ft Perris pacer listed for $6 k I think near Los oso
Great looking trailer with huge side window
I pull my Perris pacer with 2015 toy Tacoma 6 cyl with tow pkg no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-19-2015, 06:21 PM   #92

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
I haven't really read thru all of this post
If it has been mentioned earlier I apologize ...You might try the website
Searchtempest.... You put in what your looking for ( ie casitas trailer)
And the distance your willing to travel and it will search any and all craigslist ads within your mileage parameters

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #93

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
A useful site. Thanks.

Walt
Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #94

California
Still on the lookout for a good local 16 to 20 footer. Not in a hurry.. if you have one in socal feel free to message me. Have cash ready.

Tags
light