Socal: looking for a light travel trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

Name: ric
Trailer: sprinter looking to tow something
California
Socal: looking for a light travel trailer

Looking for something below 5000 pounds to tow behind a benz van. Open on price age and condition, but have kids so would like something not too cramped.

We have an old RV that nets single digit mpg for local use. Looking for efficiency for long trips.. have money and storage spot ready to go.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #2

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Almost everything on this site is below 5000 lbs, so you might throw in some additional information about what you want, such as: (BTW: "Open" has a lot of meanings)

1. Acceptable condition: Everything between a basket case project, to turn key ready, might be offered. Are you prepared to do an entire restoration yourself?

2. Age: FGRV's have been around for over 40 years, some only want newer units

3. Ammenities: What are "Must Haves" Bathroom w/shower, air conditioning, sleeps how many, etc.

4. Approximate budget: Although many are considered "Old", and they are small, they usually don't come at low prices. (If any super bargains show up in CA, you will have to get there before me. The last three I bought were mine within 4 hours after the ad appeared)

5. You location and how far you are willing to travel. If you are in San Diego, while still in the state, an FGRV in Crescent City might be a bit far.....

Old 05-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Many molded fiberglass trailers are well under 5,000 lb, but we'd need to know a bit more about your needs to be specific. Especially how many beds of what size? What level of kitchen and bathroom facilities?

Walt
Old 05-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #4

California
Ok! I can break it down if you have the time.. I have a leaky old motor home already, but its fuel efficiency is horrible. Looking for something to get 20mpg behind a benz van. Which is QUADRUPLE the mileage if it can pull that off. It's a light short stripper cargo low roof and does 25+ believe it or not, if driven right. So I think 20hwy is possible.

I do have kids to take with, so probably do not want anything very small. Needs to have a bathroom with shower. Would like to come in 5-10k on price. In Europe these same vans are rated to tow more, but I would still prefer to do it by the book and have the rated gross below 5k. From everything I have been reading it looks like my sweet spot is near that limit, 15-18 foot, 3500 to 5000 pounds. Kitchen and heavy electrical I'm not so concerned about.

I've seen some of the 20xx model year not molded trailers that fits all my criteria. But they are so boring. Like.. I don't know.. track housing. Plus, between buildings and my RV I'm sick of sealing joints.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita 17 Ft SD
California
You are wise to consider a fiberglass trailer, leaks are a major problem on conventional built trailers, I know someone that bought a new off the lot 34 ft Dutchman a couple yrs back and its been nothing but problems with leaks since day one with poor service on the repairs, its still leaking to this very day which is bad since he lives in Seattle area. Sounds like you may want to consider a Escape fiberglass trailer, due to family sizes available, cost will be the deciding factor, these fiberglass trailers don't come cheap. We have a 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe and love it, but there is just the two of us, so plenty of room.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #6

California
Doesn't rain much here, so I think we would be ok in a 2010 whatever-brand slab-sided seamed 18' tract-housing boring thing. But yeah, between the roof at work, and the roof at home, and the RV roof. I'm burnt out on roof repairs. I don't mind working on the interior.

Still if nothing turns up I'll get the 2010 seamed thing and I'm sure it will do us fine.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

California
HA.... I too bought a new Dutchman build stick hybrid for a son in about 2-3 years ago and the very first rain resulted in a leak at the front tilt out that took three trips to the dealer to fix and they finally had to replace the entire tilt-out and frame. Added to that, the table was to small for the dinette bed and they just said "Stick a couple of 1"x4's across and put the table on that! The MFG didn't want to replace the upholstery that got soaked on a 1 month old trailer saying "It will get wet someday anyway". Fortunately my local dealer (One of the Best!!!) stood up for me and new upholstery and a new table top were forthcoming.

If you really want to maximize MPG's you won't want a sticky due, not only to lots of extra weight, but the biggie, lots more frontal area that will stick out around your sprinter.

As it pretty much sounds like you will need at least a 16 or 17 footer+, you will find it difficult in SoCal to meet your year 2000+ age and $5-10k budget. Take a look at the SOLD column in fiberglass-RV-4sale.com for some typical asking prices, especially those within a 500 mile radius of SoCal. This is the hottest market on the continent, the vacation buying season is under way, and prices will, no doubt, be a bit of a shock.....

Now... Any sticky over about 10 yeast old is reaching (or has reached) it's designed life expectancy. On the other hand, even my 42 y.o. Hunter didn't need ANY structural or interior repairs when I got it three years ago. It still has the original wall upholstery, that any leaks would have destroyed in short order.

While it's much to small for your needs, if you would like to see an unmolested 42 y.o. FGRV, drop me a pm, I am in Riverside.

We sold a 10 year old, 13' Scamp and a 15 year old 13' Lil Bigfoot for close to $10k several summers ago. The market is HOT and there are buyers out there that see that kind of money for an RV as chump change, for a ready-to-go-camping unit.

Tip: And as I mentioned earlier, when you see an ad in SoCal, don't waste a minute. The last three FGRV's I bought in SoCal I bought within 4 hours of when the ads first appeared, and all of the sellers had long lists of back-up cash, sight unseen offers waiting. Needless to say, this also makes haggling more difficult if the price is even close to reasonable.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

California
Good advice. I might wait until fall/winter to see what pops up for sale. The availability of sleeping/storage space inside the van itself led me to even consider a Genesis or Kalispell. The full waterworks is really the most important factor for us.

One thing I liked browsing through ads is the toy haulers. Rear ramp door would be nice for utility hauling or moving days. If I do go stick I'll probably opt for a short toy hauler with smooth fiberglass outer walls.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:46 PM   #9

California
Yep those rear doors are especially handy on stickys. You can crank the tongue jack all the way up, open the rear door, and let the water that leaked in at the door and the corners drain out. Very handy.

But you will find a lot advertised for sale at very low prices, kinda wonder why???
Old 05-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Yep those rear doors are especially handy on stickys. You can crank the tongue jack all the way up, open the rear door, and let the water that leaked in at the door and the corners drain out. Very handy.
LOL - good one!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #11

California
I meant to say 2000+ year if its a slabbie. I think the nice smooth fiberglass began around 2005 for the stick built ones. That is what i would get. Im open to any year if its molded..
Old 05-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #12

California
What do you think of hi lo? They have very low listed weights.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #13

California
I don't know which Hi-Lo trailers you are looking at, but the several I have seen have ultra heavy frames to support the lift system and are known as being very heavy.

The original company went out of business in 2011 but I see something called HiLo Towlite Travel Trailers on line, but their 15' Towlite 15T shows 2,100 lbs, which I find hard to believe. Again, listed weights often don't mean squat and are often only for sales purposes.

I think that there is a Hi-Lo owners site. You might ask there about actual weights and about lift system problems and replacement parts. Try www.Hilotrailerfourm.com
Old 05-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #14

California
Its a 17 foot which lists 2500 unloaded. Looks like it uses a lot of molded parts. I'm not sure if the full top and bottom are both single pieces though. Maybe it uses caps.

Tags
light