Still looking for a 13' - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
Still looking for a 13'

I've posted in different threads that I'm looking for a 13' trailer, but I thought I would make it official here.

I'm looking around 4k with not TOO much work (I understand it'll likely need some repairs). I come from a tent camping family, so I'm ok if it doesn't have all of the bells and whistles, but extras would be a bonus. I need it to sleep 4 and not smell like cigarette smoke. That's about it The closer to Utah the better.

Thank you!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Hello Ashley, thought you should check this link out http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...uch-55976.html

Best of Luck!

deryk

Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #3

Utah
The link was to a thread I started... Ha ha. Was that intentional? The responses there have been very helpful in getting an idea of what I'm getting myself in to, and I think it's good info for any first time buyer. Thanks for looking out!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
well...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #5

Utah
Update! We found our trailer After telling my husband how "perfect" this trailer is for us and how hard these are to find, I was able to talk him into making the 8hr drive (each way) in a snow storm to pick her up... We just have a few cosmetic repairs to make inside, then she'll be everything I ever wanted I would have taken more pictures, but it's 3* outside right now.

Now if I can only figure out why the lights short out every time we try to use the signals.... Any suggestions? The tail lights and break lights work fine, but when we turn on a blinker, it may flash once or twice, but then all of the lights shut off on both the trailer and car (minus headlights)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1453540174.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	54357
Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Congratulations on your new UHaul. It sounds like you have a short in the turn signal wiring.

The UHaul is odd in that it has separate amber turn signals in addition to the red brake lights. This adds an opportunity for someone to mess up the plug in connections behind the tail lights.

That is where I would start. Someone may have plugged the turn signal into the ground connection there.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #7

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
The UHaul is odd in that it has separate amber turn signals in addition to the red brake lights. This adds an opportunity for someone to mess up the plug in connections behind the tail lights.

That is where I would start. Someone may have plugged the turn signal into the ground connection there.
Thanks. A friend of ours did the wiring on our vehicle, so I'll have to look into that...
Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #8

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuanis View Post
Thanks. A friend of ours did the wiring on our vehicle, so I'll have to look into that...
You might find this thread enlightening - my own learning curve.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-be-49399.html
Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #9

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Congratulations on the "new" UHaul CT! Welcome to the UHaul family. I know you will love the experience ahead.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #10

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Welcome Ashley and husband. Great looking trailer. You will love her.
Maybe our paths will cross this summer, I'm on the Western Slope.
Patti
Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #11

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
On the lights it sounds like there isa problem with your tow vehicle. The brake light and turn sinal run the same wire on the trailer. U Haul for years used a system that used three wires per side and a ground that came from the ball connection. There were two round black 3 part wires. In those were a white, black and green. The right and left sides were not connected at all. The green wire was an auxiliary turn signal, thenwhitemwas the running light and the black was the turn/brake light. So when wired to a vehicle with amber turn and red brakes you could have a separate brake and turn and did not need a converter. In about 2005 we started to convert all of our (U Haul) equipment to the standard 4 flat system. I will try to get a copy of the bulletin that shows the conversion and post it up here as well. If the wiring gives you problems shoot me a pm and ill try and help you out. For the passes eight years wiring on trailers has been a very big part of each week for me in my job with U Haul. Your camper looks great and I like that awning on there as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #12

Name: Jordan
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Colorado
Glad to see you got it home safely, I hope you enjoy her as much as I did.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #13

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1984 Uhaul CT 13
Georgia
Registry
Congrats. It looks like a beauty! Man I wish we had some snow around here....or at least colder weather. It hasn't been below 60F in a week here.
My U-haul Camper Blog
knighth001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #14

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
If the wiring gives you problems shoot me a pm and ill try and help you out. For the passes eight years wiring on trailers has been a very big part of each week for me in my job with U Haul. Your camper looks great and I like that awning on there as well.
Thanks! When it warms up a little I'll have to try a few things. I'm sure I'll have to take you up on that though since I don't have any experience with wiring... Ha ha. Anything helps at this point.